General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

SES light, poor gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SES light, poor gas mileage

Ok, I drive my car real softly (no hard accelleration or anything) but I still get about 160 miles to a tank full of Premium. Thats not good.

What could be causing this?

Well just a couple of days ago the SES light came on breifly when I was coasting to a stop. I stopped at the light then kept going, the SES light went off. This happend yesterday also when driving. From my experence with this my guess is a bad 02 sensor.

Does this sound right? Could this be the problem to my crappy mpg and SES light?

So, I get my "Chilton total car care" book out and I find out that there are two 02 sensors. Replace Both?

Any help would be great thanks.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace both, I would, the low gas mileage could indeed be caused by O2 sensors going out
Old 01-11-2006, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

go to autozone and get the codes read and write them down and look them up. Dont just go from what they say, the fools there just read what the reader says and make conclusions from there. I was throwing a code for my air pump once and they told me that my pcv vavle was bad? All I was looking for was the code number and thats what they told me. Check your O2s and wires..could have a wire not properly seated.

Ski
Old 01-11-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

Ok cool, I'll do that, Do you know if the sensors are the exact same type for each one? (just get two of the same?)

Also. I was looking in the Chilton book and it caught my attention because i just replaced by battery..

"Anytime the computer control module or battery is disconnected or the module looses power, the control module's learns position of the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve pintle is lost. The engine is unstable when the pintle position is lost, there fore the following procedure must be preformed to return the IAC valve pintle to the correct position."

Then the book goes into this 11 step process about letting the car idle in Park and Drive and such. This process takes about 40 min.

Should I really do this because I replaced my battery or is this somthing not to worry about.

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by oifish
Ok cool, I'll do that, Do you know if the sensors are the exact same type for each one? (just get two of the same?)

Also. I was looking in the Chilton book and it caught my attention because i just replaced by battery..

"Anytime the computer control module or battery is disconnected or the module looses power, the control module's learns position of the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve pintle is lost. The engine is unstable when the pintle position is lost, there fore the following procedure must be preformed to return the IAC valve pintle to the correct position."

Then the book goes into this 11 step process about letting the car idle in Park and Drive and such. This process takes about 40 min.

Should I really do this because I replaced my battery or is this somthing not to worry about.

Thanks.
Normal driving will take care of it.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Teching In

You should hook up an OBDII tester and see what codes your throwing. If you don't have one, you can take your car to Auto Zone and they will check the codes for you. O2 sensors can be expensive and may not correct the problem.

Does you car run bad, or does it just get poor mileage?

AS far as changing your battery, I never had to do that. It is true that you need to give the computer a day or two to recode the settings, but I never had to do all that stuff.

Good luck.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KillerWS6
You should hook up an OBDII tester and see what codes your throwing. If you don't have one, you can take your car to Auto Zone and they will check the codes for you. O2 sensors can be expensive and may not correct the problem.

Does you car run bad, or does it just get poor mileage?

AS far as changing your battery, I never had to do that. It is true that you need to give the computer a day or two to recode the settings, but I never had to do all that stuff.

Good luck.
Sorry for the long delay in this ive been gone for the past few days.

I am thinking about doing a code check at autozone soon, its good to hear that they do it for free. maby see if there are any other problems also.

My car runs just fine, It just gets bad milage, on that subject could real cold weather be causing the gas milage problem also?

Im glad to also hear that normal driving will recode the computer back to normal also.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Since you have a 94, the OBDII scanner won't halp you. Hopefully your local Auto Zone has a OBDI scanner; mine doesn't.

That is a pretty low mileage for a tank of fuel. Did your mileage recently drop all of a sudden, has it been going down slowly, or has it always been that low? Several things can cause low mileage all of a sudden. One reason is cold weather. The cold air is less dense, thus contains more oxygen, so more fuel is burned to keep the a/f proper. Another reason is winter formula gas. If it has been deteriorating slowly, it could be caused by several things; bad O2 sensors, plugs, wires, opti, etc.

How many miles are on your car? Have the O2 sensors ever been changed? If not, they're probably due anyway.They recommend replacing them every 30,000 miles I believe.

Anyway, try to get your codes scanned and see what comes up. If you get nothing, it may be worth doing a tune up including O2 sensors; that may or may not fix your mileage, but O2 sensors are often neglected during tune ups.

Both O2 sensors are the same. Try to stay away from Bosch sensors, and stick with GM. The dealers are typically expensive, but do a search for Jason Cromer's number. He sells GM parts at a discount and will take phone orders.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks alot, the car has always got this amount of gas mileage, my car has 155,+++ miles on it so i do think that it needs a general tune up and such. I do need to get the codes checked also, see whats going on.

Thanks.