General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

05 gto Pulling to the right

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 gto Pulling to the right

I have 7,000 miles on my 05 gto and she pulls to the right pretty bad so the dealer said she was out of line and that they had fixed the problem. My tires on the right side are bald mostly my front right tire. I've rotated the tires 3 times and whatever tire is on the right front is wearing down at 3 times the rate of the other tires. I ask the dealer about replacing the tires and he said no way because they were worn from abuse. I ask how this could be since only the front right tire is wearing. He said that my right rear wheel was spinning more than my left or something.I thought the rear wheels both spun together.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ClearLakegto
I have 7,000 miles on my 05 gto and she pulls to the right pretty bad so the dealer said she was out of line and that they had fixed the problem. My tires on the right side are bald mostly my front right tire. I've rotated the tires 3 times and whatever tire is on the right front is wearing down at 3 times the rate of the other tires. I ask the dealer about replacing the tires and he said no way because they were worn from abuse. I ask how this could be since only the front right tire is wearing. He said that my right rear wheel was spinning more than my left or something.I thought the rear wheels both spun together.
Your car is rear wheel drive. No way will the right front tire go bald from you over revving the motor in drive. Sounds like you have a serious issue with tire alignment and/or the car has been wrecked. If you bought the car brand new, contact the local Pontiac Zone Rep. to resolve the problem.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

my 04 has the same prob. I'm going thru it right now. I've been told that from the factory the camber is fixed and in order to align it they have to grind slots in the strut. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt this eem like a hack job.

This all started when I took my car to a shop for an alignment. The guy called me and told me the deal that he could grind the slots. I said no cause its under warranty . Got it took it to the dealer and told them to look at it. (also have a rub noise from that right front area also). TOld them to look at it and they couldnt find it. Strut is fine. THen I mentioned grinding the slots. I dont like it but I dont wanna wear out my tires so I tell them to get me a price to align it. Get a call back. "We dont have the software to align it". Software!?!! WTF?!?! Look up the specs in the damn book and just align it.

ANyway if anyone has some infor on this it would be great and also if they could recommend a good dealer in morris county nj that doesnt specialize in bullshit.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:40 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Originally Posted by ClearLakegto
You seriously need to find another dealer, or bite the bullet
and get an independent shop with a good rep to go after
the problem.
Where do the right front tires wear? Middle, inside,outside,
any "cupping", on the edges, etc? Any of these are good
indicators to a good tech of what the problem is.
And if the right rear tire is wearing radically faster than the
left rear, that's another problem all together.
Find someone you trust to work on it, and, unfortunately
you will have to get a new set of tires also to see the
benefits of the work.
Luck,
gwj
Old 01-18-2006, 07:12 PM
Launching!

ok to the first guy, yes u have an alignment problem. from what i can gather, u took it in and they fixed it. however, any tire on the right front is wearing really bad. this is caused from a suspension condition. depending on the wear, its either the toe or camber. tell them that no matter what tire u put on there, it ends up wearing out really bad. u dont have to necessarily feel the car pull to one side or the other to be out of alignment. tell them that either they fix it and give u new tires for not fixing it right the first time or ull take ur business else where. and if he gives u crap, ask to talk to his boss. OR u could screw with them.... go to a different dealership, plead ur case, and if they agree to do the work, let them. go back to the crappy dealer and tell them to fix it or ull go else where. if they say they'll fix it tell them, "nah ive changed my mind. if it took this long for u to do the job i would hate to see how this turns out." ha ha that would be awesome. anyways ... let us know how this turns out!

this is for the second guy... "my 04 has the same prob. I'm going thru it right now. I've been told that from the factory the camber is fixed and in order to align it they have to grind slots in the strut. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt this eem like a hack job. " - yes this does seem like a hack job. im not familiar with the GTO's suspension but it seems kind of odd. if they say they dont have the software for it then go elsewhere, they will take weeks to get it and waste ur time.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Teching In

ok to the first guy, yes u have an alignment problem. from what i can gather, u took it in and they fixed it. however, any tire on the right front is wearing really bad. this is caused from a suspension condition. depending on the wear, its either the toe or camber. tell them that no matter what tire u put on there, it ends up wearing out really bad. u dont have to necessarily feel the car pull to one side or the other to be out of alignment. tell them that either they fix it and give u new tires for not fixing it right the first time or ull take ur business else where. and if he gives u crap, ask to talk to his boss. OR u could screw with them.... go to a different dealership, plead ur case, and if they agree to do the work, let them. go back to the crappy dealer and tell them to fix it or ull go else where. if they say they'll fix it tell them, "nah ive changed my mind. if it took this long for u to do the job i would hate to see how this turns out." ha ha that would be awesome. anyways ... let us know how this turns out!

I took the car in Monday and got it back Yesterday (Wed.) As soon as I pulled out of the dealer I could feel it pulling to the right again. This is the first time I had taken it to the dealer. I had the tires rotated three different times at Discount Tire. So I called back to talk to the Service Manager and asked him if the tires being so worn would cause it to continue pulling to the right. I then asked about them replacing my tires because they are only worn on the right side and the front tire is the only tire that keeps wearing. He said no because the tires were worn from abuse and I said well then why isn't the back left tire bald too and he said because the right tire spins more or spins first some bullshit like that. Any time I've given it enough gas to spin the back tires it breaks both of them loose. Any black mark I've ever laid started at the same point and stopped at the same point. Is there something I don't know?

Quick Reply: 05 gto Pulling to the right