General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Werid Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 03:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Werid Electrical Problem

When I started my car to leave a party tonight, the car wouldn't idle. I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it from dieing. I took off down the road, and all the lights and the motor shut off for about 2 seconds, and then came back on. After it came back on, All the warning lights on the dash stayed on. Then about 2 more miles down the road it did it again, only the service engine light(not the service engine soon light) and the ABS inop light stayed on until I got home. When I pulled into the driveway, the car was hunting for the idle until I shut it off. All the guages read normal all the way home. I then restarted it, and had no warning lights stay on. The car ran fine on the way out there. Im going to see if I can limp it up to Checkers tomorrow, and use their scanner, to see what code it stored. What do you think could be the problem?
Old 01-31-2006, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any ideas?
Old 01-31-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds like a dirty IAC valve.

Its on the drivers side of the throttle body, take it off and clean it.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:22 AM
Launching!

I saw a similar thing on a 2001? Denali; low & hunting idle, and watched the mechanic clean the plate in the throttle body... problem solved.

I had a similar thing happen to an older Bonneville, and it was the battery. The voltage was low enough to create havoc on the electrical system. Check the voltage.

Good luck.