General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

turn signal driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signal driving me nuts

Ok, to start off my problem started off where my turn signals would only work some of the time. I would usually have to adjust the tilt on my steering wheel to make it work. After a while they stopped working alltogether. I changed both turnsignal sockets because of what I have read, but still a no go. I also changed the flasher with no avail. The strang thing is if I have my brake pushed in I can manually do the turn signal and it will work on the rear, although it does not light up on the dash. The only other thing I can think of is turn signal switch which they keep in stock at autozone. I just can not figure out why the rear works if I manually do it with brakes on.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:34 AM
TECH Regular

The fact that moving your tilt causing a difference makes me wonder if the wiring to the turn signal switch is worn out. I've never experienced the brake pushed in to make the signal work (only in the rear), though. I forget how much the switches are but I'm sure they are under $100. I'd put one in. I did mine in a couple hours and I've been good ever since. My problem was that my signal switch did not recenter on its own and only one brake light would work (unless I held up the switch to center). The switch is hard wired to a ribbon cable the feeds down the steering column. Its a pain in the *** to feed the new cable down there but it could fix your problem. If you already changed the flasher, the only thing left is the switch and the wiring to your lights. I would bet on the switch and its attached ribbon cable....
Old 02-02-2006, 05:06 AM
Staging Lane

could be the part on the column, a little over a year ago someone driving at night had their lights off and i tried to flash my highs at them, and the lever bent and got stuck.i was able to force it back and have regular lights only.

and for a long time i had to manually use the lever to use the turn signal. left would work fine, right would not. checked bulbs, and swapped the relay and still happened. then i had to do it for the left side to...... and now the whole lever popped out. i have no way to use them now... have no clue how to fix the lever. i was able to put it together so that the wipers work, but nothing else does.