General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

German made Castrol Syntec 0w-30 question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006 | 11:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by swoleguy
Stop wasting time and money on castrol and use a pure synthetic like Mobil 1,your engine will thankyou.
Oil analyses have show than GC is far superior to Mobil 1 in our engines. And Castrol Syntec is a pure synthetic, and the German made ones are a VERY high quality oil. Maybe it's the Maker's Mark talking, but me thinks you're a jackass.
Old 02-19-2006 | 11:58 PM
Launching!

What is the oil capacity if you use the larger 2006 K&N filter? Can you safely put in a full 6 quarts ?
Old 02-20-2006 | 02:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by T-rex
What is the oil capacity if you use the larger 2006 K&N filter? Can you safely put in a full 6 quarts ?
I run a full 6 quarts regardless. I ran the truck K&N on my last oil change, and put in a Mobil 1 filter this time (same PN for both the truck, and the f bodies) and I still put 6 full quarts in. It reads slightly above the "full" mark. It's not like my **** is gonna blow up.
Old 02-20-2006 | 03:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a thread in the Want To Buy, if anyone could get a few cases or so, I'd be willing to pay for it PLUS shipping to Hawaii. That stuff is not available ANYWHERE here. PM me able to assist, much appreciation.
Old 02-20-2006 | 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by anestech*
Oil analyses have show than GC is far superior to Mobil 1 in our engines. And Castrol Syntec is a pure synthetic, and the German made ones are a VERY high quality oil. Maybe it's the Maker's Mark talking, but me thinks you're a jackass.
Wrong syntec is extra refined natural oil giving them legal rights to use the term synthetic,Mobil 1 is completly synthetic from start to finish.
Old 02-20-2006 | 06:01 PM
On The Tree

This is quoted from Castrol's website: "SAE 0W-30: Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 European Formula is engineered to meet the Mercedes Benz 229.5 specification."

Maybe you can buy it at a Mercedes Dealership, I'm gonna check with the closest dealership.
Old 02-20-2006 | 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wrong syntec is extra refined natural oil giving them legal rights to use the term synthetic,Mobil 1 is completly synthetic from start to finish.
I'm afraid you're the one who is completely wrong! American made Syntec is indeed a group 3 hydrocracked petroleum base, but the German made Syntec 0w30 we're referring to here is absolutely positively a 100% synthetic oil. In fact the synthetic base oil it uses is way more exotic than anything by Mobil 1. A bunch of us on BOBISTHEOILGUY.com contributed a bunch of money in order to get the German Castrol completely analyzed in order to determine the nature of it's base oil and we were very happy to find out it uses an extremely exotic base oil which is fully synthetic, extremely shear stable and uses no polymer viscosity index improvers.
Old 02-21-2006 | 02:56 PM
On The Tree

I found some at my local Auto Zone. They keep 18 quarts stocked at all times. I bought 12
Old 02-21-2006 | 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Stop wasting time and money on castrol and use a pure synthetic like Mobil 1,your engine will thankyou.
man..i wish there were more people out there like you..that would just leave more German Castrol for the rest of us!
Old 02-22-2006 | 01:56 AM
12 Second Club

true that....
Old 02-22-2006 | 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

ok so what's different between the green and gold GC?
Old 02-22-2006 | 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
ok so what's different between the green and gold GC?
I was afraid to ask that question for fear that someone would respond "one is green and the other is gold! " I was wondering the same thing though.
Old 02-23-2006 | 05:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

The green GC was Europe's Castrol Formula SLX, while the gold stuff is Longtec. It's basically the updated version of the same oil. There aren't too many oil analysis results posted with it just yet, but the ones that have been posted so far look good, and it appears that it's just as good if not better. I still am holding my judgement until I see how it performs in my own car though (which will be a while since I've got a huge supply of green stuff)
Old 02-24-2006 | 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Patman
The green GC was Europe's Castrol Formula SLX, while the gold stuff is Longtec. It's basically the updated version of the same oil. There aren't too many oil analysis results posted with it just yet, but the ones that have been posted so far look good, and it appears that it's just as good if not better. I still am holding my judgement until I see how it performs in my own car though (which will be a while since I've got a huge supply of green stuff)
Patman, let me know if you'd be willing to part with some of your supply, not available in Hawaii, so I'm seeking other sources. Willing to buy it off of you and pay for shipping.
Old 02-25-2006 | 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Where were you guys before when I was deciding between royal purple and mobil 1. Everyone seemed to love mobil 1. Guess I posted in the wrong forum or something. Ok so if I go from regular oil to royal purple like i did and then switch to the german castrol will i hurt the engine or burn oil or have any sort of problems.? I want even slight chances if there are any.
Old 02-25-2006 | 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

JSmee, switching from one oil to another will not hurt anything AFAIK. I wouldnt use RP over M1. I have no experience with it but i cant imagine RP being superior over M1's 5W40. I heard their #41 Race formula is great so i dont know. Id either use M1 5W40 or GC. HTH
Old 04-08-2006 | 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

lmao...
Old 04-08-2006 | 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Patman
were very happy to find out it uses an extremely exotic base oil which is fully synthetic, extremely shear stable and uses no polymer viscosity index improvers.
holy crap that sounded mad technically cool. thats why i use 0w30 (m05 mine was and it looked green).
Old 04-28-2006 | 08:33 AM
12 Second Club

I went to restock on the german blend, and found two types in different style bottles, both say made in germany on the back, perhaps one is green and one gold, I'll check from what I read in this thread tonight. The old style bottle was the same as I got my hands on in the past, and the new bottles were a little skinnier, but deeper, and a bit taller, and said "European Formula" on the front of the bottle. Anyone have some insight on this???
Old 04-28-2006 | 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kapedogg
I went to restock on the german blend, and found two types in different style bottles, both say made in germany on the back, perhaps one is green and one gold, I'll check from what I read in this thread tonight. The old style bottle was the same as I got my hands on in the past, and the new bottles were a little skinnier, but deeper, and a bit taller, and said "European Formula" on the front of the bottle. Anyone have some insight on this???
You're fine, thats most likely the gold blend. I think I had a few quarts of those on my last oil change.

Quick Reply: German made Castrol Syntec 0w-30 question