General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

t-tops, flying out and on to road

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to latch mine I went WOT on an onramp with the windows down. All of a sudden a heard a much LOUDER wind noise I looked up, and the t-top was floating above me (Still stuck to the center but about to fall off, I kept me speed the same, and reached up and grabbed it. I held it as hard as a could and pulled the car over.

I guess I have good luck, I had like 5 cigratess after that too.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:35 AM
Teching In

I lost one last summer. I was messin around in front of my house and got a fairly good launch on drag radials. About 80 mph I heard this whistle and before I could even react it shot straight up. I looked above me and I could see it flying above at 50-60 feet in the air. My friend witnessed it and he said it flew over the power lines!!!
It exploded all over the road. I'm just glad nobody was around.
I'm not sure if it was latched or not...
Old 03-26-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Around here (St. Louis) for some reason, the auto repair shops are under the impression that if you lift an F-Body up on a hoist without unlatching the T-Tops, the flexing of the car with break the T-Top. So....it's not uncommon for them to unlatch them before lifting to "save" the T-Top from damage. But then the damn fools leave them unlatched and forget to tell the customer about it when they pick up their cars and....well you know the rest. We've had many a customer go 'round and 'round with dealerships and automotive repair shops about who's responsible for the shattered T-Tops.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would the T top shatter though? The only contact it has with the body is it resting on the weatherstrip and a metal pin. The glass isn't under any force.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Why would the T top shatter though? The only contact it has with the body is it resting on the weatherstrip and a metal pin. The glass isn't under any force.
I guess it's an urban legend amongst some of the auto repair shops in our area that F-Body T-Tops crack or shatter if not unlatched before being lifted.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Teching In

what? do they take them completly off? cuz that will mass up your frame! i would be pissed either way!

anyway im planning on doing that tightning thing i just havn't had the chance
Old 03-26-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed

They shatter when they hit the road. A 20lbs chunk of glass flying 20ft in the air and then slamming on the ground has to bust them...sometimes lol

I have not lost a t-top yet. I always pound on them when putting them back on to make sure they are on. I also checked the pins, and they were fine.

Here's a site on how to check the pins,

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=222038
Old 03-27-2006, 12:10 AM
Banned

And that my friends is ONE of the MANY reasons I got the hard top
Old 03-27-2006, 12:27 AM
Launching!

its so crazy when it happens.
ive had sun roofs fly off on me before to its intresting watching them hit hte ground in ur rearveiw
Old 03-27-2006, 12:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had one bounce a little in my KARR, after I pulled him from storage. I've read when you store a vehicle, you close the doors enough to latch but not enough to keep the weatherstripping compacted or if you do, at least use silicone spray I believe to keep it from cracking or rotting. I unlatched my t-tops and pushed them up a little just for the same reason. I forgot to latch them down and went for a spin. Hit about 40 mph and heard it jiggle. I IMMEDIATELY hit the brakes, and pulled into a parking lot and latched them. That only happened ONCE. Every year after that, I leave a note on the passenger seat to "undo" all the storage mods I've done. Remove wiffles from tailpipe, close pass. door tight and lock t-tops down and hook up anything I may have unhooked. Been fine ever since.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:09 AM
Launching!

i'm so retarded i made the same mistake twice. First time was at the drag strip near me, chillin' in the staging lanes, then all of a sudden, GO GO GO. And my dumb *** didn't latch my t-top. The announcer thought it was a pin-on hood. Thing musta gone 60-70 ft in the air, but by some miracle it didn't break. And the coolest bit was i got to go stand in the center island for a bit to get it back.

Then, in typical "fool me once.. shame on... fool me, can't get fooled again!" fashion, i did it a second time just driving around. Seems they come off at about 70-80 mph if they're unlocked and the windows are up. that time it broke, and dealerships and junkyards were quoting me like 600-800 bucks! I ended up finding one on ebay for less than 300, IIRC.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:45 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

in 1998 a chevy dealer let me take a new SS home and keep it for the weekend. I pulled away from the dealership and within a few miles was on the interstate. I remember thinking that the car had a lot of wind noise and as I was driving I started checking the windows and doors to find the source of the wind noise. Suddenly, at about 70 mph, the ttop above my head flew off and in the mirror I could see it flying through the air. Luckily there was no one behind me and it shattered on the shoulder of the road. I looked over and noticed the passenger side was unlatched. I reaced over and latched it and got off the next exit and circled back to retreive the broken remnants. I went right back to the dealer and he apologized and blamed the lot attendants for leaving them unlatched. He had them ****** one off another car and sent me on my way. I returned the car Monday morning and ended up not buying the car. A couple of months later I was ready to buy and at that time he didn't have what I wanted so I went to a different dealership and got exactly what I wanted.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

I was following a buddy in his 98 vette and watched the targa top fly off in front of me and hit the ground. It cracked it and scratched the hell out of it. funny par is it was his little brother driving his vette cause he was on vacation so his little brother had it fixed at a body shop for like 300. He didn't plan on tellin his brother what had happend, but the dumbass left the repair receipt in the center console. Ended up his older bro wasn't mad, just wished he would have gave him the 300 towards the purchase of a used glass targa top.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Well..this happened in the Firebird umm around October I think.. My father and I were driving on the interstate and I was probably going about 80mph cause thats just what I do lol..and I hear this really loud wind noise but just as I looked up i seen the t-top latch not latched and I attempted to reach for it and as I did sure enough it flew off...I watched it in the rearview flip floppin in the air and finally landing...IT DIDNT SHATTER!!!...it must have landed just right...I went back and picked it up out of the median... All it has is a few scratched on the plastic and I had to knock a heck of a lot of dirt out of it. I suppose it was luck that it didnt break..I have the pictures of it if ya'll wanna see em :-D
Old 03-27-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

How do you not latch the ttop?? You can notice the handle out of place if it wasn't latched.

Having the tops fly off while latched is a horror story, i don't think i need to, but will try adjusting them soon. I worked at a glass place, but we did not bend glass, so I would end up looking on ebay if Mine broke
Old 03-28-2006, 02:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I guess it's a lot more common. I was reading these to my wife.

She was with me when it happened to me. I was visiting my sister and my nephew jumped in my car as we were about to leave and was playing around with the stereo and unknown at the tme, my TTop latch.

Took off from there got on the freeway, hit about 70 and heard the noise Looked up just to see it pop up, then float on. We both look back as it shattered on the freeway, luckily no car was behind us.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

Does somebody have a "Do not pull" sticker to put on the handles?
Old 03-28-2006, 08:11 AM
Teching In

My t-tops hadnt been taken out FOREVER!!..I have no idea how mine came undone...I forgot to lock my doors one night and i had no alarm on the V6 and I dont know I thought maybe someone would have unlocked them on me as a joke or something which wasnt very funny... I check them everytime i hop in the car now lol...
Old 03-28-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Regular

My t top came off, but it was just the glass not the part take locks it into place in your car. The glass shattered into so many small pieces.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

My '02 is a ragtop, but my sister and bro-in-law have a 98 V6 and lost a top on open road. Has nothing to do with HP/TQ of the car.

They seldom remove the tops, and he was driving with the windows up at normal speeds (abt 60Mph). No warning the driver side flew off- scared the shate out of him nearly causing him to wreck!

They bought a replacement with no problems, but discovered how to adjust the locking linkage to be sure they fully engage. The passenger side one was WAAAY off and would have gone soon too...... Car had about 90k miles on it and was 5-6 years old at the time.

Allen