General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

t-tops, flying out and on to road

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lost one on the previous Camaro...someone left it unlatched though.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Red face

I lost the driver's side a few years back. It was latched and locked. I was driving up a bridge and I hammered it. The next thing I know, something hits me in the head. I was in a daze for a second and I said to myself, "What was that?" I then realize that it was the t-top and I look into the rear view mirror to see it flipping through the air. Then I see headlights dipping down as the drivers behind me slammed on the brakes. I turn around to take a look at my t-top shattered into thousands of pieces. I got all of plastic and metal off of the road and grabbed the lock so that I could install it in my new t-top when I got it. I drove to my friends house and borrowed his t-top so I didn't freeze my *** off to get back home. When I got another t-top from tacreations, I made sure to adjust the t-top so that it latched completely.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its happened to me. Put my t-tops on the when i got home one night pretty late and my lazy *** forgot to lock the handle in. Woke up around 530am the next morning to go to work. On 290 (highway) and im crusing at about 80 mph and I hear loud wind noise, look up and my t-top is fluttering around. I grabbed the handle but it still flew off and almost too my arm with it! Luckily no one was near me but it shattered all over the highway...
Old 04-13-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

never heard of this till this forum. gotta check mine today
Old 04-13-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

I hope i don't loose mine. is any one else's passenger side hard to get back in? Mine goes it some times but does not want to latch with out alot of effort. I will look at the pins i guess.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

had it happen, the plastic handle stripped on mine making me think it was locked.

Also had one almost fly off unlatched when testing out my nitrous for the 1st time. (My cat like reflexes let me grab it while it was starting to lift.)

I hate T-tops for this reason, and leave mine latched now.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Lost my drivers side once going down 95 forgot to latch it after doing some work to it, rolled the window down it lifted 3 inches when I noticed as I went to grab it bam mega increase in cabin presure and there it went 30 + feet in the air. I then bought a set off ebay but the guy tried scaming me out of my money. Finally after a month of dealing with that clown and getting my money I bought just the D.S. off ebay but the top wasn't in as great of shape as he described. Oh well at least I'm rolling again...
Old 04-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Idont know if mine was latched or not...i think it WAS! but i was crusing at about 80 on the freeway all the sudden i hear this wind noise and look up and see my TTOP floating above me for a brief second...then its gone....luckily there was no car behind me. I posted in the Parts Wanted Section, within 2 days i had like 7 PM's, best deal was 135 shipped... got it in 2 days...
Old 04-15-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by _JB_
They shatter when they hit the road. A 20lbs chunk of glass flying 20ft in the air and then slamming on the ground has to bust them...sometimes lol

I have not lost a t-top yet. I always pound on them when putting them back on to make sure they are on. I also checked the pins, and they were fine.

Here's a site on how to check the pins,

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=222038

Look up. We weren't even talking about that. Major discontinuity here.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Mine started to fly away once... on the way to take my organic chemistry final, I grabbed the handle and then it lifted up like an air brake. I broke my pinky finger but I didnt lose my ttop. True story lol
Old 04-15-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by illy5603
I have lost 3 total. In all cases it was a sunny day, put the passenger side t-top on and was distratced by something, never latched it. 2 times I recovered them, the other time it shattered.
Man you must have a bad case of ADD lol. On that note I think im going to lock mine also incase a friend tries to grab the handle.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Angry

Lost mine toying with a mustang a couple weeks ago. I'm new to t-tops (and fbody's) so it was a pretty startling experience for me. I got up to about 90-100 and I heard some wind noise and thought......hmm maybe this is just an older car and that kind of thing happens. WRONG! As I got closer to 100mph all of a sudden I heard major wind noise. Looked up and my drivers top was gone. The mustang went flying by me as slowed down (probably laughing his *** off). Went back for it and never did find the damn thing since it was night time. Fortunately traffic was light and there was nobody close behind me due to the speed I was traveling.

I believe I left it unlocked but I'm not 100% sure. I really don't see how it could come off while latched unless something is majorly wrong with the latch. Going to pay a locksmith $40 to rekey my new one this week.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

This happened to me once, a couple years back and I never taken mine off since. Hardtop FTW
Old 04-19-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Andros
This happened to me once, a couple years back and I never taken mine off since. Hardtop FTW
I would of rather had a hardtop myself I never take mine out.