Old 02-22-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe this?
www.pistonslap.com
Old 02-22-2006, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it doesnt sound like that at all its more like a bad alternator-howling kind of sound I wish I could dessribe the sound better. Ive had the engine running without both belts on and it still does it so I know its not an alternator,water pump,power steering etc.But its annoying because I cant pinpoint where its coming from.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

It could be the air pump.I dont see what year your car is in any post only stock except k&n.The only other thing I can think of besides going into the motor would be bad check valves for the manifold air tubes.Like said earlier,its not to bad to pull the pushrods.It seems like this is really bothering you,you need to bite the bullet and tear things down or take it to a shop that can diagnose the problem.

Or if possable try to get a sound clip and post it up.Even that is just going to lead to a bunch of guessing.The whole my car is making this sound is just really difficult to solve over the net.What part of the country do you live in?You may be able to find an experienced person on this forum to check your car out.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:08 AM
On The Tree

Yah I guess your right, I should just take it in to have it looked at but it pisses me off to pay someone to fix a simple problem that i could fix myself. Its just funny that this happened after a bout of really cold weather ,doesnt make sense. Im not familiar with the placement of the air pump and check valves you could u elaberate on where i could find these ,its a 99TA that i have. If it isnt these then I guess i will have to take it in. Appreciate you input, many thanx.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

On your exhaust manifolds you will see a pipe bolted to it with a rubber hose attached to the pipe.That pipe is your check valves.When they go bad they will flutter and tick.The sound will change with rpm if they're bad.

Your emissions air pump is on the drivers side of the radiator below the 2 fuse boxes.You cant see it from the top though.You have to remove an inspection cover from underneith to get to it.I dont believe its the air pump because it will cycle on and off for emissions.Altough it does make a humming/whirling sound when it comes on.Usaully at startup you hear it the most.You had said its rpm dependant.

Anyway,good luck and I hope you get it figured out.Every little noise my car makes I track down.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

I can hear the AIR pump turn on and off especially at startup so Im pretty sure its not that but this check valve theory has got me thinking that it might be that. Ive done a search and cant find much info on them or what happens when they go bad. It does sound like a likely possibility considering I cant pinpoint the noise on the actual motor itself. If anyone knows anything about these valves or what happens when they go bad it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:10 PM

Pull them out and check. It's not a hard job. Maybee 1 hour.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:12 AM
Staging Lane

in july i bent the hell out my pushrod and it made a horrible noise....i could also feel the difference it seemed like it took my rpm's forever 2 climb...replacing them also wasnt that great of an expereince. i could put my hand on the valve cover and feel the tapping it was pretty bad it left an eggshaped hole in my head.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:13 AM
Staging Lane

so if u really thought it was a pushrod id try to replace it asap
Old 02-25-2006, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Yah I cant hear anything ticking from either cover, its more of a howl than a ticking. It seems to get a little bit louder when the oil is down a bit before I top it back up too. Its hard to pinpoint it sounds like its coming from the whole engine compartment,maybe a little more prominant on the drivers side.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does it change if you remove the serpentine belt?
Do you have a stethoscope? This thing helps a lot to find out the source of the noises.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

No I can take both belts off and the noise is still the same, i have listened to both covers not there,water pump not there,check valves not there,the only time it seems to get a little louder is when the engine oil is a little low(like a litre or so). I figured if it was a cam or crank bearing it would have got worse or seized by now so im not really sure whats left? Im going to try an engine flush and see if it helps,I have my doubts but its worth a try I guess. Any ideas you folks have is much appreciated and thanks for all your previous thoughts. To give you an idea, you cant hear it at idle at all only when the RPMs go above 1100 and up then it gets louder as it climbs.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK my noise is here, maybe you can post yours too.

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....0-DDC71FFB0C0F

I just put a digital camera between the hood and the windshield: there I have two holes (so called heat extractors) so all the engine noises are coming out from there.
The sewing machine noise comes from the fuel injectors (36 lbs/h Bosch).
It's the clack clack clack that is bothering me...
Old 02-27-2006, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

Yah I dont know what that klunking is ,mine doesnt have a knock like that mine is more like the sewing machine sound you described that I can hear on your clip makes me wonder if its a bad injector or something (mine are stock)
Old 03-03-2006, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Well Ihad my car into the shop today for them to have a listen,they said theyve never heard anything like it before. They believe its an internal problem(maybe bearing or oil pump) but they told me they would charge me for a hour to take a closer look but arent promising a diagnosis.Its really starting to **** me off, and I dont want to pay when they cant promise me theyll be able to tell me whats wrong. So the list of things I know its not are plugs and wires ,check valves,waterpump,alternator,powersteering pump and they felt by the sound it was not a bent pushrod so if anyone has any ideas Id love to hear them. thanx

Quick Reply: Bent pushrod Maybe?????