General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Mobil 1 extended performance: good for 15,000 miles???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 05:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mobil 1 extended performance: good for 15,000 miles???

Mobil put a new oil out called Mobil 1 Synthetic Extended Performance and claims protection for 15,000 miles. Is this possible?? Would any of you recommend not changing ANY oil for 15,000 miles? I tried this oil out and kept it for almost 5,000 miles but the oil kept buring so fast and with me refilling it, it wud be like making a full oil change only not removing the filter. Which brings me to anothere question, can an oil filter even last 15,000 miles??
Old 02-24-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

15k miles is not unthinkable for a synthetic oil. The key is to change your filter at reasonable intervals and top off to replace the loss from the filter change and what goes missing through regular use. If you are using a thin oil you may see less consumption by switching to a heavier weight oil.

If you're serious about extended drain intervals you'd be very smart to also use an oil analysis schedule. But, for the money you'd spend on that you could change your oil more often!

Filters last longer than you would think. You would change them when particulates begin to reach unacceptable levels in the oil analysis.

A good site to check out extended drain intervals would be: THIS ONE.

Also, BOBISTHEOILGUY.Com is a good site to learn about the wonders of motor oil.

Oil analysis is using your head to determine oil change intervals, while seeing oil that looks dirty and changing it even though it doesn't need it is the emotional schedule. Most use the emotional shedule more than the thoughtful schedule. But, hey, oil is cheap and plentiful. And it gives us something to work on with our car.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

I accidently bought the extended performance and after 2 weeks of driving I was low 2 quarts. I didn't like it at all. So I started using german Castrol.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:24 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
15k miles is not unthinkable for a synthetic oil. The key is to change your filter at reasonable intervals and top off to replace the loss from the filter change and what goes missing through regular use. If you are using a thin oil you may see less consumption by switching to a heavier weight oil.

If you're serious about extended drain intervals you'd be very smart to also use an oil analysis schedule. But, for the money you'd spend on that you could change your oil more often!

Filters last longer than you would think. You would change them when particulates begin to reach unacceptable levels in the oil analysis.

A good site to check out extended drain intervals would be: THIS ONE.

Also, BOBISTHEOILGUY.Com is a good site to learn about the wonders of motor oil.

Oil analysis is using your head to determine oil change intervals, while seeing oil that looks dirty and changing it even though it doesn't need it is the emotional schedule. Most use the emotional shedule more than the thoughtful schedule. But, hey, oil is cheap and plentiful. And it gives us something to work on with our car.
Awesome, thanks for all the info!

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 extended performance: good for 15,000 miles???