General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

First time I've blown a bulb in the Z28

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time I've blown a bulb in the Z28, quick question....

I've had my Z about a year now and all the lights that came with it have been fine, until tonight when my left turn signal stopped working. It's still snowing here (Boston) so I don't want to be outside taking all my lenses apart unneccessarily, and I've seen different GM's behave differently when a bulb burns out. If you turn the signal on, and the green indicator by the guages lights up, but doesn't blink, that just means one the lights is out right? Not a flasher or anything? Funny thing is all the lights still work (tail, marker, etc) they just don't blink on the left side, so there's no indication of a particular blown bulb. Am I correct to assume that it's probably just a bulb, probably the second of two filaments in said bulb, and the only way to determine which one is a good old fashioned guess and pull?
Old 02-25-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually turn the signal on and walk around the car to see which light is not on, buy the right one and replace...
Old 02-25-2006, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenBird
I've had my Z about a year now and all the lights that came with it have been fine, until tonight when my left turn signal stopped working. It's still snowing here (Boston) so I don't want to be outside taking all my lenses apart unneccessarily, and I've seen different GM's behave differently when a bulb burns out. If you turn the signal on, and the green indicator by the guages lights up, but doesn't blink, that just means one the lights is out right? Not a flasher or anything? Funny thing is all the lights still work (tail, marker, etc) they just don't blink on the left side, so there's no indication of a particular blown bulb. Am I correct to assume that it's probably just a bulb, probably the second of two filaments in said bulb, and the only way to determine which one is a good old fashioned guess and pull?
if it stays on a fuse is blown. if it blinks rapidly the bulb is out.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

bulb # 3457... autoparts stores have them..... bought 2 today---gold/yellow colored.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SladeX
I usually turn the signal on and walk around the car to see which light is not on, buy the right one and replace...
Like I said, they all LIGHT, just not blink. I figured a fuse would affect both sides, so my best guess was it was a two filament bulb with the second filament out.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenBird
Like I said, they all LIGHT, just not blink. I figured a fuse would affect both sides, so my best guess was it was a two filament bulb with the second filament out.
the 2 filiment bulb is your brake/taillight, the turn signal is a single filiment bulb. if it lights, the fuse is blown, if the bulb does not light then its the bulb.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my bad, my 98 hasn't blown any bulbs yet, I was going by the method I use on the 88...

I would have thought not much has changed in 10 years in how the turn signals work.

Something new to note about the subtle differences in my cars..
Old 02-25-2006, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

not trying to hijack or nothing but are you guys saying if the bulb is lit but doesnt flash for instance, when i push my brakes all my lights work except the left brake light one , but the bulb is still lit. Then its a fuse? <-------- sorry for the confusion cuz i think i just confused my self a little more too
Old 02-25-2006, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

If it's one of your brake lights then your bulb does need replacing because as it was stated earlier they are two filimunt bulbs so only half of it is actually working
Old 02-26-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, I guess I check my fusebox tomorrow. Is each side of the car on a seperate turn signal fuse? Yellow 20's like the thirdgens I'd assume?
Old 02-27-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

It's not a fuse. It's the bulb. I've gone through 4 of those bulbs in the last 2 years. One of your daytime running lights probably doesn't work either. You need a new 3057 bulb.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:12 PM

I have a short I think somewhere because when I install a fuse it sparks and burns the fuse out instantaneously. HELP!!!!!
Old 05-30-2011, 05:14 PM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bww3588
if it stays on a fuse is blown. if it blinks rapidly the bulb is out.
This is not true. My indicator stays on when the bulb is blown. It's never blown a fuse and both times the bulb went out the indicator would just stay solid.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Are the front blinker lights 3047 or 3457 ? Thanks