General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Stumble?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumble?

Id say around 2500 or so if I punch it to WOT it somewhat will stumble almost like a clutch slip but not then after 3000 its all right. Ive checked plugs and wires so its not that. any suggestions? If it helps I removed the AIR pump but not the solenoid yet, just the pump the tubes and blocked them off I got to take the rest out.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Launching!

I have an a4 and i have the same prob.....it's been mentioned on here with alot of our cars....noone has came up with a fix or an definite prob....plugs,wires,o2's...etc..all been checked......mine always stumbles between 1500-2000 rpm......it's driving me ******* nuts........somebody has to have had this same prob and got it fixed.....SPEAK UP PLEASE!!!!
Old 03-02-2006, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

thats because the described symptom makes no sense. a slipping clutch would indicate an acceterating engine with no corresponding vehicle acceteration. a stumble is no engine acceleration at all. so there is no way(that i can imagine), a stumble can seem like a slipping clutch. its hard to diagnose something without a good description of the symptoms. my guess with the info given would be sensor related like a TPS or MAP sensor. how many miles are on the car?
Old 03-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Launching!

ur TPS is probably toast. after a while, the contacts of where u have the throttle plate at the most wear down and dont make as good of a connection. try a new TPS and let us know what happens.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Slowpoke....I don't mean to hijack this thread...and if i'm wrong on the situation...dub, you can correct me. But let me explain this once again, ive posted on this subject plenty of times, cuzz lots of people are having the same or similar symptoms. For my ride a 98z w/ 120 on the ticker it stumbles (does not accelerate correctly) at or around 1500-2000 rpm. There is another thread posted today by blackhawk J listed as a flat spot under throttle, same symptoms. No matter where im at, on the highway, around town or what, at that range i bog down. I'm just surprised that as many times as this sub has came up that NOBODY has found the prob. Of course it could be this or that, i've checked plenty of things I guess ill just have to take it to a shop and pay the $$$$ to have them figure it out. Altough i haven't checked the tps(throttle positon sensor???) it just doesnt sound like it......wouldn't it do the same all over the rpm range. Whatever it is, is only effecting our cars when the revs are in the lower range????hopefully that is a better explaination.....now can you help????
Old 03-02-2006, 09:58 PM
Launching!

u dont need to take ur car to a shop. im tellin ya man, go get a new TPS (throttle position sensor). it will cure ur problem. the TPS works like this... its like a wiper motor. it touches several different contacts inside as u open the throttle blade. it sounds like one or maybe a few of these contacts have worn down causing a bad connection and making you stumble. a TPS will cause this exact symptom of stumbling or falling on its face at only certain RPM's. i think its like a 30 dollar part and takes all of 1 minute to replace. try it man, please! and let me know what happens.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Syxx613......ill be all over that tomorrow, hopefully it's what im looking for. Is it a auto parts part or do i have to go to a dealer???Thanks for chiming in man
Old 03-02-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

no flashing SES light when this happens?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Launching!

no lights, no codes
Old 03-02-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

before you pay for one, try to find a fellow ls1techer who will let you install theirs for testing reasons to verify. post in your regional section if you do not know anyone already.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Launching!

u can get it at autozone or any parts store. and incase ur wondering, u do NOT need to have the SES light come on to experience this problem. ive seen cars have a TPS that is just totally fried throw no code at first. it was so fucked up, we would start the car and it would die right away. we bypassed the TPS with a special tool and it fired right up and idled properly. thats when we knew we had found the culprit ha ha.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Clogged fuel filter or a dirty MAF sensor will cause those symptoms.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:14 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yea mine has no ses light and otherwise runs smoothly, idles well and cruises well. Its just while acceleration it has a slight hesitation...
Old 03-04-2006, 11:13 PM
Launching!

blackhawk....we have the same **** going on....btw, i changed the tps...no luck.So far i've changed tps,fuel filter,and o2's,plugs,wires.....NOTHING is working. Im thinking it has something to do with the ecm.I don't know what to do now......
Old 03-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed out the fuel filter it seems to have worked. I'll give you an update after I go to the track in a couple of weeks. Do you have LS1 Edit or something to check the ecm?
Old 03-06-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

I was experiencing the same symptoms, the engine sort of laying down or dead spots as the car accelerated. I bought two cats to replace the 98k mile converters that were on the car and the symptoms went away.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently developed the same issue on the LT1. Hope I can track this down cause it's getting annoying.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:57 PM
Teching In

I know this is an old post but did anyone ever figure out the solution to this problem because I am also experiencing this issue on my 99 Camaro M6. It is just like there is a blank spot of no acceleration/power in the engine during that RPM range it is so slight and only noticable if you are driving the car. I have tried a new TPMS sensor with no luck. I am going to be doing "Race" headers and ORY once they arrive thus eliminating cats and EGR/AIR and I will probably also be doing a cam swap at the same time with all of the recommended parts for install of that. Any ideas or input would be great!
Old 05-18-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

having same issues, have cleaned maf, switched 02's, new oil sender, etc etc... my oil pressure gets low, and idle drops to around 400/500 rpm at stop lights... anybody? ima try the tps (did you get the "tps" reports? read the memo! lol), and maybe clutch switch? wtf with these cars!

it is more noticeable when i put new gas in... Sh*t in my gas tank???

Quick Reply: Stumble?