General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

disturbing sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disturbing sound...

Whenever I go WOT with out traction control on and get up past 70, then let off, and while the car is still in the same gear (hasn't shifted yet) and then hit the brake to slow down, I hear/feel a knock coming from underneath the car. I am not sure what this could be... I don't think its the rear, cause then i think id hear the clunk on acceleration, but this has only been happening the past two days, and i am getting concerned... Has anyone else had a similar issue? Is the torque converter not unlocking? I also do not believe that it is my exhaust, because i have never had it do this in an entire year of having it installed. Any info would be greatly appreciated...
Old 02-28-2006, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Is it probably not related to traction control, most likely someting else resulting from no traction on the take off.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

no, in all cases traction control was de-activated... also, sometimes while at a stop but still in gear (auto) i hear a very faint ticking sound as well coming from under the car... not from the engine though... sounds like it coming from the back, but the car isnt moving... that noise comes and goes...
Old 02-28-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Check if your exhaust is lose or anything, thats seems to be a common Fbody thing.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Check if your exhaust is lose or anything, thats seems to be a common Fbody thing.
yeah, i suppose that can't hurt...
Old 02-28-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I was thinking you should check your exhaust too. Make sure nothing is loose and banging on something.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

ill check it this weekend... it just dosen't sound like a bang... more of a "clunk" its hard to say now... its just odd because it ONLY happens when i let of the gas at WOT above 65 or so, and then hit the brakes. Like when coming up on a car or somethin, just makes one clunk and then dosen't do it agian...
Old 03-01-2006, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

check the torque arm is secure on the transmission and the rear. Sometimes these bolts loosen up and then you will hear the noises you described.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

Mine made similar noises with a bad tranny mount. I replaced it and its been good since.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Same here on the trsanny mount. It would be a good idea to check it. I thought my torque arm bushing was toast but it was in decent shape. My tranny mount turned out to be the issue. Man that thing was damn near two pieces and I only drive on the street and got 67k on the odometer.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

ill check those and get back to you guys... thanks for the ideas... keep em coming...
Old 03-03-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by THE CHOP SHOP
Same here on the trsanny mount. It would be a good idea to check it. I thought my torque arm bushing was toast but it was in decent shape. My tranny mount turned out to be the issue. Man that thing was damn near two pieces and I only drive on the street and got 67k on the odometer.
how will i know if its broken? or will it be obvious???
Old 03-03-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by natronathon
how will i know if its broken? or will it be obvious???
It might not be obvious until you take it off. The rubber piece will be cracked or separated. Shine a flashlight on it and try to move things around before you take it out. Maybe you'll be able to see something. I replaced mine and it was surprisingly easy to do. I just put a jack under the tranny and unbolted the thing. I think it took a 13mm for one bolt and 15mm socket for the other (not sure anymore, though). I know I got the new mount for less that $30 from Advance.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

got underneath the car and the mount looked ok. I also checked the torque arm, and all its bolts were still very snug. Also i checked all the exhaust bolts, and they seemed alright as well. I will be changing the fluid on the tranny soon, and I suppose that will be a perfect time to pull the mount off and see how it looks...