General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering leak!!! Mixed with Coolant!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with the hose disconnected, the fluid will start pumping itself out once you start the engine

edit - whatever line you pull off, fluid will either come out of the line or out of the cooler, so it dosent matter; sorry, should have been clear myself.

I cant tell you by looking at my cooler, because I am running the new one, lol.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the help. i'll let you know how it goes.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No offense Grimes, but I would not drain from the cooler. See the problem with this is that if you are mixing PS fluid with you Collant, then you undoubtedly have collant in you PS. that means its in the rack and everything. I know this because I had to go thru all this in my T/A. I went thru two of the factory coolers. They SUCK! No what I am about to tell you should be done after you have either replaced the factory cooler, or bypassed it like Grimes has suggested doing. Its also a good idea to use a flush additive when flushing the radiator and engine. I used something in a little jug from Prestone.

Anyway, what I did was make sure the reservoir is empty, then remove the return line from the bottom drivers side of the reservoir. You will need to plug the barb on ther reservoir so that as you are putting new fluid in, its not draining back out before it cycles thru the system. Its best to have the front of the car up on jackstands when doing this.take the hose you removed from the reservoir and angle it down under the car into a bucket. Fill the reservoir and start the car. Have someone watch the tank to make sure it stays pretty full. Also don't forget to watch the bucket, cause it can fill up quick. You are going to need a lot of fluid so buy in bulk . In between checking on the bucket, turn the wheels back and forth to move the fluid thru the rack. Do this until you get good clean fluid coming out.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you recommend plugging the barb on the bottom of the reservoir?

also, will you take a look at my post in this forum regarding the flushing process? let me know if i'm documenting it wrong. thanks man.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

haha, no offense taken. thanks for clearing up the memory. I couldn't remember if that bottom was a supply or return. Either way, royal could flush the system, drive around a couple days, then do it again.

Originally Posted by SSmokd U
No offense Grimes, but I would not drain from the cooler. See the problem with this is that if you are mixing PS fluid with you Collant, then you undoubtedly have collant in you PS. that means its in the rack and everything. I know this because I had to go thru all this in my T/A. I went thru two of the factory coolers. They SUCK! No what I am about to tell you should be done after you have either replaced the factory cooler, or bypassed it like Grimes has suggested doing. Its also a good idea to use a flush additive when flushing the radiator and engine. I used something in a little jug from Prestone.

Anyway, what I did was make sure the reservoir is empty, then remove the return line from the bottom drivers side of the reservoir. You will need to plug the barb on ther reservoir so that as you are putting new fluid in, its not draining back out before it cycles thru the system. Its best to have the front of the car up on jackstands when doing this.take the hose you removed from the reservoir and angle it down under the car into a bucket. Fill the reservoir and start the car. Have someone watch the tank to make sure it stays pretty full. Also don't forget to watch the bucket, cause it can fill up quick. You are going to need a lot of fluid so buy in bulk . In between checking on the bucket, turn the wheels back and forth to move the fluid thru the rack. Do this until you get good clean fluid coming out.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well, what I did was take a small piece of hose about the same diameter and plug one end of itwith a bolt slathered in RTV or something (to prevent it leaking around the bolt). Just put it up on there and vola! You can choose to use the little hose clamp on the return line to hold this plug on or not. Depends on the diameter of the hose you use. This worked for me, but I will tell you it gets a little messy when you are taking this off and trying to get the return line back on.

Quick Reply: Power steering leak!!! Mixed with Coolant!!!