General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant light on when level is normal

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant light on when level is normal

I have my low coolant light coming on in my 99 ss camaro. I keep checking the fluid and its topped off at all times. I even did a flush of the radiator to make sure that it wasnt just being caused by old coolant. I am guessing it is the leve sensor in the radiator. Can anyone tell me where this sensor is located so i can save some time searching under the hood please? I figured ill try to clean it and see if that helps since the local parts stores all want 60-65 bucks for it.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 03-04-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Passenger side, about 4-5" below the radiator cap I believe. You can just unplug it and the light will stay off.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Passenger side, about 4-5" below the radiator cap I believe. You can just unplug it and the light will stay off.
Exactly what I did
Old 03-04-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ill try and clean it first. My car is all original so i kinda wanna keep it just the way the factory had it. Looks good later on that way. If that doesnt work, Ill break down and buy the new sensor. Thanks guys!

Jeff
Old 03-04-2006, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

I had a similar problem,where that wire continues down towards the battery is was wore through (kind of a stupid place to run it) I just cleaned up both ends and joined them back together.havent had a problem since.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well i hope im that lucky. If im not, does anyone know where i can find that sensor any cheaper? All the parts places around here want 60-65 for it. I heard someone on here say they got it for $9!!!

Thanks
Old 03-05-2006, 02:01 PM
11 Second Club

only place I could get one was at the dealer. I paid like 35 bucks I think? You can also go to gmpartsdirect
Old 03-18-2006, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Yea they're like $40 shipped on eBay, I haven't checked local. Part numbers are on the part number thread,

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....6&postcount=15
Old 03-18-2006, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Default Bad News

I hate to be the guy with bad news, and mabye it's not the same problem so you'll be lucky. I have a 99 Formula Firebird WS.6. It was doing the same thing. I cleaned the sensor and really thought nothing of it. Cpl days/weeks later the light was on again. All the levels were good and it was brand new coolant.....but when I drained the coolant I noticed oil in it. Turns out that the mighty LS1 has on rare occassions been known to have porus lifter bores. Oil, in time, actually makes it's way through the block and into the coolant. I'd never heard of this before and thought the garage was trying to pull one over on me. But, GM actually flew someone out to verify the diagnosis and replaced the block, citing manufacturers defect. Took about 5 mths for the whole evolution to take place. I'm not saying that you've got the same issue, but when you clean the sensor pay particular attention to what you're cleaning off it. If you see anything abnormal I'd at least consider this possibility. It's a horrible 5 mths with the car in shambles.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

I replaced my sensor on my 98. I kept putting fluid in trying to figure out why it was happening. I bought the new sensor and when I took it off you could see alot of deposit on the sensor. I was thinkin of just cleaning it but since I already had the new one I threw it in. It is kinda tricky to push the new sensor in because it is in an akward position. I did mine like 27k miles ago and all has been fine.