General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

friend jacked car up wrong

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bama-z
If it hasnt made your fender bow out in the center, I wouldnt mess with it. If it has, loosen the 2 bolts holding the fender to the tab and the fender tab should come back out. If it doesnt, it may be cracked and you should leave it alone. If it does then take a clamp or vice grips and slowly straigten the metal tab. Then you can retighten the bolts making sure the fender is in line with the door. Mine were both bent up nearly to the bottom of the car. One fender was cracked at the tab and I had to replace it. The other was ok.
Good idea, I'll try that if it's not cracked. Thanks!!
Old 03-09-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Mine was jacked incorrectly once at the dealership and once at a local gas station that my family goes to for all there car repairs. About 6 weeks ago however I went to a local drive in car wash. The damm system didn't work and my car was stuck on the ramp that you drive onto. I drive slowly and then a heard a bang. On the driverside the plastic tab is cracked all the way along so I can't just bend it back without the fender tab completely breaking. No my fender is bend down so it looks like the hood is sitting low. Oh well I have no money to fix it and am over it. When I have the money I will have it fix along with some other bodywork.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:07 AM
Staging Lane

Personally I would slap my friend for driving a honda. LOL then I would kick him in the taint for ******* up my car. But now I will know what to look for if I have that same problem.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:31 AM
12 Second Club

I think this has happend to a lot of people out there. I know i've done it. Except i did notice as soon as the jack started to go up and i heard something funny. Justy bend it back and slap your friend in the nuts.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Ok this happened to my car too. Heres what you need to do:

Clamp the old fender tab to the frame piece so that its as flush as you can get it, then get some screws with a washer around them, kinda like the ones in the fender tab, but smaller if you wish, now match a drill bit to just under the diameter of the screw. Next drill a hole directly up inside of the painted piece on the outer side of the fender tab and screw at least 2 screws in right there. Now you will want to take a dremel tool or something similar and remove the fender tabs.

Not only are they a risk when around people who dont know how to jack a car, but they also hang down and look ugly. My car looked so much better when i did this and you now cant see the ugly fender tabs sticking down when walking up to the car from the side.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

This happened to a buddy of mine as well.I just used a 2x4 and tapped it gently with a hammer untill it straightened back out.I've done a few buddies cars with this method and it has worked everytime.Just dont get carried away with swinging the hammer.