General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

friend jacked car up wrong

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default friend jacked car up wrong

last night i took my car to a friends to use his lift. he's a honda guy and didn't know what he was doing and put the front passenger lift foot right under the part of the frame that hangs down lowest behind the tire that the front quarter panel is bolted too. Of course it bent that tab out about 45 degrees until the lift foot finally rested on the subframe. somone would never notice but its one of those things that i cant stand knowing is messed up. i thought about hammering the tab back to vertical but not sure if that is gonna splinter up or crack the panel. any ideas?
Old 03-08-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by royalcrown
any ideas?
Yes, shoot your friend.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Junkie

i noticed mine were bent a little bit, and it made the fender stick out too...so i used a clamp and bent it back straight no problem
Old 03-08-2006, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

yeah, and as i pointed it out to him and i was comtemplating bending it back then, he was like, "well, lets not cry over spilled milk and get this hose off". in a joking manner of course, but its like, dude, you just fucked up my car. I'd be crapping my pants if i were him.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the thread. Now I know why my fenders are sticking out at the bottom. Now if I could only track down the genious that did it........
Old 03-08-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OnA Fan
Thanks for the thread. Now I know why my fenders are sticking out at the bottom. Now if I could only track down the genious that did it........
Probably was a Wal-Martian that did it.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happens to a lot of our cars. I read a lot about this when I first bought mine 2 years ago and I've been worried about it ever since. I actually will remind any person that works on my car when I take it in for the yearly state inspection/emmisions test. I also always look at the fenders before and right after it goes in for any service.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Wow! Your buddy said that? If it were me, I would've given him five across the eyes and when when he asks WTF?! I would reply, Let's not cry over spilled blood!
Old 03-08-2006, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

it really worries me that most mechanics make a lot of mistakes and dont care for the car very well. i freak out anytime i have to take it somewhere. i have a feeling they're getting in the car dirty as hell, grinding reverse, burning the clutch, failing to lift it in the right places, and failing to do other things that are specific to the ls1 (that may not be required on most cars) if they dont know much about the engine. for example this friend/mechanic i took it to last night looked dumbfounded at the thing like he didn't know what to do with it. i really hope this isn't representative of how it really is at a shop.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you ever bring your car somewhere they need to lift it, you really need to put a post-it taped on that spot that says "no lift" . Sounds gay, but its better than fixing a fender.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ive got a 2000 Z and the fenders stick out slightly. Are they supossed to stick out a little? The reason I ask is that mine are exactly the same on each side and it doesnt look off with the way eveything else is positioned. I even looked under the car and nothing seemed out of place.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

There is really an easy fix for this.

Take a pair of channel-lock pliers, grab the tab, and bend it back. It will also get rid of the gap where the fender meets the door. I've done this on a couple different camaro's. It's always been up on a lift when I've done it(lifted the right way of course). It's probably possible to do it on the ground though.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Junkie

the fenders shouldnt stick out. that wouldnt make sense, they should be flush with the other panels.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The one and only time I took my car to a Discount Tire, I warned the guy to not lift the car by that tab, actually showing him where to lift it....not thirty seconds later, the dumbass actually went and lifted it exactly where I said not to. Busted (not bent) the tabs on both fenders, but not the metal mounts they attach to, I was able to bend those were bent back into place. THEN, he denied doing it and swearing to his boss he didn't do it and they refused to do anything about it. I'm having the car repainted later this year so I'm having new fenders installed.... Discount Tire sucks sweaty salty *****.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Joker
The one and only time I took my car to a Discount Tire, I warned the guy to not lift the car by that tab, actually showing him where to lift it....not thirty seconds later, the dumbass actually went and lifted it exactly where I said not to. Busted (not bent) the tabs on both fenders, but not the metal mounts they attach to, I was able to bend those were bent back into place. THEN, he denied doing it and swearing to his boss he didn't do it and they refused to do anything about it. I'm having the car repainted later this year so I'm having new fenders installed.... Discount Tire sucks sweaty salty *****.
The SAME thing happened to me... wtf...
I bent it back, but it's still not right, the fender is still slightly misaligned now.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:39 AM
On The Tree

My passenger side tab is bent but the fender doesn't stick out. Has anyone ever had the fender break from bending it back? I don't want to break the fender, so I might just leave it alone.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ateyate
My passenger side tab is bent but the fender doesn't stick out. Has anyone ever had the fender break from bending it back? I don't want to break the fender, so I might just leave it alone.
Thats what I'm worried about.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Joker
Discount Tire sucks sweaty salty *****.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come to think of it, my passenger side panel is bent out a little too. Now I know why!
Old 03-09-2006, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

If it hasnt made your fender bow out in the center, I wouldnt mess with it. If it has, loosen the 2 bolts holding the fender to the tab and the fender tab should come back out. If it doesnt, it may be cracked and you should leave it alone. If it does then take a clamp or vice grips and slowly straigten the metal tab. Then you can retighten the bolts making sure the fender is in line with the door. Mine were both bent up nearly to the bottom of the car. One fender was cracked at the tab and I had to replace it. The other was ok.