General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery Dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Dead

I have the red top Optima battery. It's about a year old. I left my radar detector on and didn't drive my car for about 10 days. My battery was drained completely dead. I bought a battery charger and jumped it. Started up fine and I drove it for about an hour to charge it up. About 5 days later, I went to start my SS, and the battery was dead again. I jumped it and it started. Just went out to start the SS again about a week later and again, the battery's dead, but this time when I tried to jump it, all I get it this "clicking" sound and the engine won't turn over.

I'm assuming I just need to replace the battery again, but could this clicking sound indicate something more serious like the alternator or the starter?

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you ever give it a full low amp charge from the charger? Should be under a full replacement warranty if it won't hold one. The clicking is most likely low voltage.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

that's exactly what i tried this morning and then when I set it to full charge to start it, it turned over.

i'm gonna start it every day for the next week to see if it will hold a charge. But if it keeps dying after just one week of not starting it, something's up.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Sometimes, but this usually applies to old batteries, when they completely drain they wont take anymore juice.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard Optimas recover well (hope so, just bought one), but it could still be bad. Shoot, I'm in Florida, 23K and on my third battery. If it discharges again bring it back and have them load test it.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

optimas need to be trickle charged
Old 03-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the info. i just didn't want to drop cash on a new battery if that wasn't the problem. we'll see what happens this week now that she's running again.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
I've heard Optimas recover well (hope so, just bought one), but it could still be bad. Shoot, I'm in Florida, 23K and on my third battery. If it discharges again bring it back and have them load test it.
a friend of mine uses one to put down the 3rd foot on his trailer....after storing it in the winter, he charges it and never has a problem all season...might be a defective battery
Old 03-19-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you fully discharge a battery it starts to develop a sulfate coating on the plates or windings (depending on the type of battery design). This coating can be reversed to some degree by a trickle charge. Quick charges won't do it. It's also common for quick charges to be too quick and not charge enough.

It's been my own experience, and that of others I've observed, to not want to charge a battery overly long for fear of overcharging and boiling away the electrolyte. This is easily prevented by being patient and using a trickle charger.

When you start your car and drive if for a short time it won't necessarily charge it up enough to keep it charged over a week or more. All batteries discharge if left to sit. Your car uses some small voltage just sitting (radio, alarms, things not turned off), and will discharge faster.

If you have a battery in a low voltage condition you should put it on a trickle charge overnight or for a day or two. That should bring it fully up to full charge. If the battery has developed a coating on the lead it may not hold a charge at all and will need to be replaced.

My opinion is that you should buy a Battery Tender (that's the brand name, $40-60) trickle charger to keep on your battery when not in operation. The Battery Tender cannot overcharge your batteries. They are quick and easy to operate and will save you money in the long run by not having to replace expensive batteries.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Mr. Incredible - Great info. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS 2Grand
Mr. Incredible - Great info. Thanks for the reply.
dude i told you that already in my post above
Old 03-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
dude i told you that already in my post above
i was referring specifically to the battery tender info./link. but thank you to.