General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

OVERHEATING...please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds almost exactly like mine. I switched thermostats but it didn't solve anything.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/487026-car-overheating-randomly.html

We both are having the same problem =(
Old 04-12-2006, 05:32 AM
12 Second Club

Sounds almost exactly like mine. I switched thermostats but it didn't solve anything.
I will let you know anything i find out bro. this **** sucks
Old 04-12-2006, 09:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by z28convert
i just had the thermostat replaced 2 weeks ago.
This would be likely to leave you with air in the system unless
you "burp" it. Though I'd guess the 'stat replacement was to
chase the same problem?
Old 04-12-2006, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

I'd guess the 'stat replacement was to
chase the same problem?
I had it done with my cam install....

UPDATE sort of.... I checked the oil and the still isnt any sign of water or antifreeze in there. and the anitfreeze level hasnt moved at all.if it was the head gasket it would leak whether it was running or not, so this may be a sign that the head gasket isnt blown? the car is getting pulled to get looked at in an hour hopefully ill know by the end of the night whether Ill be driving my car this summer or not.

Last edited by z28convert; 04-12-2006 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck wayne, i hope its something stupid, let me know how you make out?
Old 04-12-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

good luck... ..hope its something easy and cheap....
Old 04-12-2006, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

good luck wayne, i hope its something stupid, let me know how you make out?
good luck... ..hope its something easy and cheap....
thanks guys.

Gary, i thought of you when i though my motor may be junk after seeing you went through throwing a rod. maybe ill do a 402 if i cracked the block and warped the heads. not to be nosey but if you could shoot me a pm and give me an idea of what that option would run me i would really appreciate it. Im figuring on the worse case scenario just in case.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:40 PM
...with cheese.

It's not warped... if your not having to add coolant it's not warped. DONT let anybody charge you to pull your heads. It'd be a waste of money. If I read right, which I just skimmed through you just had a cam install done. Somebody might have dropped your water pump... Replace the thermostat again, it'd be stupid not to. Replacing the thermostat would be cheaper than just having a mechanic look at the car, not even doing anything. Check for fan operation, Thermostat opening first. Secondly, there might be air in the system... One trick of mine is to take a 4 arm 2 post lift and just pick the front of the car up. Put a lockable funnel on your radiator full of water. With the front of your car in the air your radiator cap is the highest spot... where does air go... bingo. Thats too much work though, I finally got a coolant filler. It pressurizes your cooling system with a flow of coolant. Recirculates it with fresh coolant until there is no air left in the system... kind of expensive but better than doing that other BS every time. I guess what I'm trying to stress here is that I don't think theres any way in hell your heads are warped. If the fluid level hasn't moved your fine.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:58 PM
12 Second Club

It's not warped... if your not having to add coolant it's not warped. DONT let anybody charge you to pull your heads. It'd be a waste of money. If I read right, which I just skimmed through you just had a cam install done. Somebody might have dropped your water pump... Replace the thermostat again, it'd be stupid not to. Replacing the thermostat would be cheaper than just having a mechanic look at the car, not even doing anything. Check for fan operation, Thermostat opening first. Secondly, there might be air in the system... One trick of mine is to take a 4 arm 2 post lift and just pick the front of the car up. Put a lockable funnel on your radiator full of water. With the front of your car in the air your radiator cap is the highest spot... where does air go... bingo. Thats too much work though, I finally got a coolant filler. It pressurizes your cooling system with a flow of coolant. Recirculates it with fresh coolant until there is no air left in the system... kind of expensive but better than doing that other BS every time. I guess what I'm trying to stress here is that I don't think theres any way in hell your heads are warped. If the fluid level hasn't moved your fine.

you were right. it was the thermostat. i thought it was recently replaced but i guess some lines got crossed and it didnt. but the car is running fine now. figured id let some of you know that were wondering. thanks for all the tips and advice.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by z28convert
you were right. it was the thermostat. i thought it was recently replaced but i guess some lines got crossed and it didnt. but the car is running fine now. figured id let some of you know that were wondering. thanks for all the tips and advice.

Good to hear it was an easy fix. But remember, a blown head gasket WON'T normally leak when the engine is off. The reason coolant is pulled out of the cooling system through a leak in a head gasket is from the immense suction a cylinder generates on its downstroke, and pulls the coolant and/or oil right through any sized leak. Now if the leak is just huge, it could possibly trickle into a cylinder over night while it sits, but thats a slim chance too because that gasket is still getting seriously crushed flat by the head bolts, and coolant most likely won't go through even a pretty big leak when its just sitting there. Probably wouldn't even trickle if there was just a head bolted to a block and no gasket there. If coolant could leak while the engine was off and fill up a cylinder(s), we would be hearing about many hydrolocking stories on a daily basis. Because if it leaked into a cylinder all night and you turned the key, bye-bye engine. The other 7 cylinders will fire and BAM!!!!!

Old 04-14-2006, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Quickin

Maybe you have a big bag or something that went up in front of your radiator.
I almost replaced my water pump until I saw the bag between my radiator and A/C condenser.

Last edited by 98LS-WON; 04-14-2006 at 10:34 PM. Reason: spelling