General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

OVERHEATING...please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OVERHEATING...please help

i was driving down the road and noticed the temp went to 220 then almost 260 after 5 min. of driving.

1. upper radiator hose IS warm
2. antifreeze is topped off
3. checked the coolant temp sensor, was unplugged dont know why but after plugging it back in and letting it idle for less than 5 min. it went up to 220-230.

what else should i check. is there a way to see if the water pump or radiator is bad?
Old 04-11-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Check the thermostat first ( cheapest) then water pump
Old 04-11-2006, 05:01 PM
12 Second Club

i just had the thermostat replaced 2 weeks ago.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be a bad radiator cap (not holding pressure) too. ECT was unplugged...hmmm...try resetting the PCM (if you don't have an SES light), let the car completely cool down, then start it and see what happens. Just an idea and won't hurt to try.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How were you driving, like what speeds, cruise or stop and go, that type of thing?
Old 04-11-2006, 05:15 PM
12 Second Club

it was probably 3-4 miles highway at 65 mph. not beating on it. then probably another 3-4 miles criusing at 45-50.

i called a guy at a local shop and he said possible head gasket leak. maybe a cracked block. but there isnt any white foam on the oil dipstick. and there is a slight smell when i drive like an exhaust leak coming from the front of the car. not really an antifreeze smell.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

ALSO...
the guy I talked to said i took the radiator cap off and bubbles came out consistantly it would be cylinder pressure, hence a blown head gasket but at an idle it didnt bubble only when i got on the gas. is this bad or good. sorry if thats a retarded question.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by z28convert
ALSO...
the guy I talked to said i took the radiator cap off and bubbles came out consistantly it would be cylinder pressure, hence a blown head gasket but at an idle it didnt bubble only when i got on the gas. is this bad or good. sorry if thats a retarded question.
Maybe the gasket is partially blown and idle doesn't cause the cylinder pressure to get passed it.

That wouldn't make you overheat the way you decribed though. Just all of a sudden redlining on the gauge isn't from a blown gasket, especially if your fluids were still full like you said.

If the temp sensor was unplugged than I "THINK" (not positive) your fans may not come on. But than again, you don't really need the fans when cruising on the highway, ram air does plenty to keep you from overheating.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

CORRECTION....it was the level indicator that was unplugged. my bad.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Do your Fans come on??
Old 04-11-2006, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

they come on, yes.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

its most likely the water pump going bad, my friend had a issue with his and finally just went and the temp went into the red.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Veteran

If you start it up with the radiator cap off and let it get to operating temp, do you see the coolant start to flow? If not, water pump is bad or t-stat is not opening.

The fans should come on low, together, when it reaches operating temp. Then if you go turn the A/C on the fans should go on high.

Maybe you have a big bag or something that went up in front of your radiator.

See if your lower air dam came off.

Maybe you have a bubble in the cooling system and the water pump is stuck in it.

There isn't much more that can overheat you. Blown gasket doesn't overheat you, it just loses coolant. And you said it was pretty much full, so........

I just went through 5 months of not knowing why my engine would go right into the red in 4 minutes time after turning on the A/C. I think I found the problem 2 days ago when I had to take my radiator out when it formed a crack. My condensor was literally closed off by debris over the past 8 years. I'm pretty certain that is my problem. So I'm putting in a new condensor while I'm at it.

Good luck.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:04 PM
12 Second Club

its most likely the water pump going bad, my friend had a issue with his and finally just went and the temp went into the red.
a glimmer of hope. im gonna get everything pressure tested and ill see after that. thanks everyone for the info. keep it coming
Old 04-11-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Veteran

a glimmer of hope. im gonna get everything pressure tested and ill see after that. thanks everyone for the info. keep it coming
Well listen.....if you do have a blown head gasket and the coolant ends up filling a cylinder, and than you go and start the car, you could hydro-lock your engine and it'll be gone. Its a bitch, but take out all your spark plugs and check for coolant in the cylinders before you start it up after the pressure test.

Old 04-11-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

are BOTH HOSES HOT??? upper AND lower ??? you only mentioned upper.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

are BOTH HOSES HOT??? upper AND lower ??? you only mentioned upper.
only checked upper hose

Well listen.....if you do have a blown head gasket and the coolant ends up filling a cylinder, and than you go and start the car, you could hydro-lock your engine and it'll be gone. Its a bitch, but take out all your spark plugs and check for coolant in the cylinders before you start it up after the pressure test.
im dropping it off to get pressure tested tommorrow. he knows more than me so I wont have to worry about screwing anything up. thanks for the heads up though.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Veteran

im dropping it off to get pressure tested tommorrow. he knows more than me so I wont have to worry about screwing anything up. thanks for the heads up though.
Tell him about it, he may know it if someone brought it to his attention but he may certainly not think of it and try to start your car after the test. Than he'll hand you some keys back and a wasted engine.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickin

Maybe you have a bubble in the cooling system and the water pump is stuck in it.
this is what im thinkin. maby you should start with a coolent flush.....that will rid any bubbles......
Old 04-11-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

**** If your bottom hose is not as hot as the top one, you need a new thermostat...that means there is little circulation..happened to me..simple thermo. fix.....CHECK bottom before wasting $ and time.