General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Overheating - solved... You'd never guess how

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did the camaro grill delete, I also came across a bunch of crap that had been causing my car to overheat the previous day. I came across a plastic bag, styrafoam, wood chips, newspaper, and a dead bird (?). I wonder how that got in there. Anyway, it helps to clean out in between there every once in a while.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:26 PM
Launching!

I wonder if this is why my A/C doesn't work worth a s*it even though it is complete;y charged.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

check, youll never know what you find in there!!!
Old 04-22-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98redM6
I came across a plastic bag, styrafoam, wood chips, newspaper, and a dead bird
DAMN!!!!!!!!

I came accross an elephant tusk, one nike cortez, and 3 monopoly pieces (the boot, battleship, and a hotel)???????????????
Old 04-22-2006, 01:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by toofless916
DAMN!!!!!!!!

I came accross an elephant tusk, one nike cortez, and 3 monopoly pieces (the boot, battleship, and a hotel)???????????????

sometimes i wonder where some of our members decide to drive their cars...
Old 04-24-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's normal **** you can pick up on a drive almost anywhere on a California highway.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After a few short track races in our late model we take the radiator out and tap it aginst the ground to get all the rubber out of the fins. It's amazing how much comes out.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

Congrats, I know you've been fighting that for a while.

Ski
Old 04-25-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry to jack in on the thread but my car just blew out its thermosat one day I noticed it got hot almost over 230 so I let it cool and replaced the thermosat about a week ago then two days ago I notice the car got hot again, I cooled the car off and found the coolant was low and filled the radiator up and have checked the level the last two days no problems and a little bit of coolant. No leaks or any signs of loss of coolant. What could cause this loss of coolant? Head Gasket might be on the way out.

I notice some debris in the radiator and what I don't want to believe might be a little oil in it. I'm going to get a real flush done, cause I don't believe the garden hose did the trick.

The car doesn't seem to lose oil at all and the oil pressure is great. I haven't noticed any signs of a bad head gasket and I would hate to pull everything off and find out everything is okay.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mike2000Z28
Sorry to jack in on the thread but my car just blew out its thermosat one day I noticed it got hot almost over 230 so I let it cool and replaced the thermosat about a week ago then two days ago I notice the car got hot again, I cooled the car off and found the coolant was low and filled the radiator up and have checked the level the last two days no problems and a little bit of coolant. No leaks or any signs of loss of coolant. What could cause this loss of coolant? Head Gasket might be on the way out.

I notice some debris in the radiator and what I don't want to believe might be a little oil in it. I'm going to get a real flush done, cause I don't believe the garden hose did the trick.

The car doesn't seem to lose oil at all and the oil pressure is great. I haven't noticed any signs of a bad head gasket and I would hate to pull everything off and find out everything is okay.
I thought I had blown head gaskets, pulled the heads off and the gaskets looked like they just came out of a brand new package. Coolant system check could tell you though. But make sure you take out all the spark plugs in case a cylinder is filling up with coolant. If you start it like that you could hydro-lock the engine.

A friend of mine at the dealer said, a couple days ago when I was asking him about what I think is oil in my coolant, that if Dexcool coolant gets low it will produce small floating crap in the coolant that looks like little ***** of dark mud. So if it got low maybe thats what it is. He also said that the system operates at about 15psi, but after the engine is shut will go up to about 20psi because the coolant is just sitting getting hotter because its not moving anymore....so maybe you have a pinhole leak in a hose that leaks after shutdown. Also, I think water pumps leak after shutdown, not sure. Next time you drive it and it gets to operating temp, turn it off and check everything for a few minutes after shutdown. If you're stock maybe you have a gasket leaking...check for white smoke on start-up.

Also, don't underestimate "the airbubble". You opened the system when you put that new T-Stat in, so you might have a big bubble sitting in the water pump, the pumps little paddle wheel will just spin in the air and move no water. Fill the radiator up, leave the cap off until and keep topping it off. Than start the engine and wait for it get up to temp and you see the coolant level go down, then keep topping it off for awhile.

I hated chasing my overheating problem, so hopefully you find yours sooner than I did.

Last edited by Quickin; 04-28-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toofless916
DAMN!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Overheating - solved... You'd never guess how