General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear main seal leak - cost to repair?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree with the rear main not being critical all of the time. My Silverado has been leaking for many years without issue. It's not pretty underneath truck anymore as everything is covered in oil, but it only uses a few quarts between oil changes and some of that is being burned off, not leaking. Again, everyone's situation is different.

Could be the rear main on my Suburban as well. SOMETHING is leaking back and down there, can't really tell. Uses next to no oil so not worried about it.

How difficult is it to change once the tranny is out? I am swapping tranny's soon, never thought about looking into this but maybe I should, lol.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
For those that have changed theirs, how did the flexplate look? I was told 9/10 times the flexplate is cracked. Seems unlikely.
The '01+ flexplate is much weaker on these cars. They have been known to crack even at stock power levels. The '98-'00 version is better and much less likely to have issues.

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
but it only uses a few quarts between oil changes and some of that is being burned off, not leaking....

....Uses next to no oil so not worried about it.
A few quarts between changes is "next to no oil"??? Was that a typo? Whether it's being burned off or leaking, I would definitely be concerned about losing a few quarts between change intervals.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Mine is leaking bad. I think I'm going to go with the FEL-PRO BS40640

Would be nice to find a used TCI flexplate.

Will an edge 4000 torque converter need to be re-stalled after adding a 150 wet shot? I'm worried that I may blow through the converter. May have to drop the trans regardless.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I had mine replaced and it was around $500 for me. I wasn't thrilled but couldnt get it done any cheaper and it was POURING oil all over the driveway. I was going through all 5 quarts between changes, meaning 10 quarts of oil in intervals constantly keeping it topped off before I finally bit the bullet and fixed this. It helped alot. After doing this and switching to Valvoline High Mileage Synthetic I no longer have any oil leaks at over 200k miles but the under side of my motor is covered in black sludged oil..its gross.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The '01+ flexplate is much weaker on these cars. They have been known to crack even at stock power levels. The '98-'00 version is better and much less likely to have issues.

A few quarts between changes is "next to no oil"??? Was that a typo? Whether it's being burned off or leaking, I would definitely be concerned about losing a few quarts between change intervals.
Two different vehicles. My Suburban uses next to no oil but it is present on the back/bottom of engine so I know it is leaking but not enough to be concerned about.

My Silverado uses two or three quarts every 3,500-ish miles. It's been consistant for I don't even know how many years. To me it's not worth yanking the trans on a 300,000 mile vehicle that is using 1 quart per thousand miles. I don't know how much is being burned vs leaking.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Put a few ozs of TransX in the engine oil, It will help the leak and the crapo oring on oil pump pickup. I put it in every 30k because my pickup tube oring needs replacement but the TransX has stopped it from leaking air into the oil every time for 30k or so.

Quick Reply: Rear main seal leak - cost to repair?