General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Please help me troubleshoot "ASR Off"

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 08:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please help me troubleshoot "ASR Off"

I just bought a 98 Z28 last week and I've been going through fixing those things that need to be fixed. The one that I don't really know where to start is that the "ASR Off" light turns on as soon as I start the car and indeed, it doesn't do anything to prevent me from roasting tires.

Here's what I know for sure:

There is nothing connected to the wires going to the switch (no black box in that area)
The fuse is good. Replacing it didn't help any.
The ABS Inop light is not on, and the ABS seems to be functional (seems like a lot of posts have both of these failed)
Disconnecting the switch and turning the car off and back on gave the same results so I'm of a mind that the switch isn't the problem.
EFILive does not show a connection to anything other than the PCM for me so I can't pull any codes for the ASR.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 05-20-2006, 10:31 AM
12 Second Club

the first one is your problem i don't have ASR but i still have a connector in the back of the switch to where it would go i would find the wires and plug it back into the switch and then turn it on or leave it off its all up to you.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a VOM
Look for power to the switch (pink wire)
Test the switch, remove the connector, and click the switch to on, IIRC there should be continuity when it's in the on position, if those check out see if you can find a schematic of the circuit, and wring it out
BTW it happened to mine, but it seemed to fix itself after a couple of days
Old 05-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Most people actually prefer to have it off. You may want to just try driving with the switch on and off. Unless you live in an area where you may be driving on ice or slippery roads, it may be your preference. Then again it could be some kind of short somewhere.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mean some people actually turn their ASR on? I don't have the SLP reversing switch but it's a pure habit that as soon as my car starts I hit that button.

Are you sure someone didn't put the reversing switch somewhere other then right behind the switch? Does the ASR work when you do turn on the button?
Old 05-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Thanks, y'all, there's some great ideas here, please keep 'em coming.

I've confirmed that there's no SLP box - I can follow the wires from the switch all the way back to where they merge with the main harness and there's nothing spliced in.

Pushing the button or holding the button down when I start doesn't turn ASR on. Nor did completely disconnecting the button.

There's five conductors in the connector to the switch, and five pins on the switch - a row of three and a row of two. Three of the wires in the connector have +12v when the car is running (two in the row of three and one in the row of two). The row of two pins on the switch are connected when the switch is activated and open when it is not; I couldn't determine what changed on the row of three with switch activation because I don't have enough hands to hold both probes and press the switch.

I do honestly want to make my ASR work, because it's part of the car - I may decide I want to turn around and disable it again, but for now I want to fix it.

I don't have the Helms manual for my car - I have it for the 2000 F-body though, and the instructions for "ASR Always On" pretty definitely rely on being able to plug a scan tool into the car - is the best bet just to make friends with someone who has a Tech 2?
Old 05-20-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Heres a schematic for the traction control.
Attached Thumbnails Please help me troubleshoot "ASR Off"-asrwiring.gif  
Old 05-21-2006, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

I have my ASR on if it's raining...otherwise I'd probably hit a guardrail on the interstate!