General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help Me

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Me

i went to register my car (1994 z28, all stock, with only 38252 miles on it) which i bought about a month ago,, at the test it passed everything except (EXHAUST GAS TEST) the (HC "Hydrocarbon") rate was high so they failed it,,, now the problem i took it a place called Fix plus who supposed to make miracles, and they didn't do anything, they told me u need to hook it to a diagnostic tool to find out whats up and they don't have the equipment, i took it to the agency and they said we don't work on imported cars... DAMN THEM,,, now can anyone tell me what to do cause i'm half way of dropping the whole idea.. i had to winch the car from a place to place, it costs me more today than all the registration process..... thanks all
Old 06-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Launching!

TTT,, come on guys... i want to eliminate the Computer problem in this, cause i belive it's something much less..
Old 06-27-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Don't work on imported cars." Where are you? SES light on?
Old 06-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Launching!

i'm is Dubai, UAE.. they refuse to work on cars which are not imported by them,, mine i got it from usa..that's why
Old 06-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Launching!

i'm trying to narrow down the problem,, should i check out the O2's and the MAF?
Old 06-27-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I guess I'm surprised to hear they do emissions testing in Dubai. Most of the folks I've talked to in the Middle East run no emissions components, and leaded gas. That's in Saudi tho.

If you're running unleaded gas, the first suspect would be the catalytic converter, of course. Has it been gutted? Does it rattle when you beat on it (cold, of course)? Is your AIR system still in place (the air pump and lines on the exhaust manifolds)?

If you're running leaded gas, then the cat is likely dead, and needs replacing. Cats and lead don't get along.

A car that's in proper tune (good plugs, good wires, good catalytic converter) should fare just fine on the HC test.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Launching!

yeah, lots of folks have contradicting idea's about the middle ease... well, the car has been with me for a month now, i've changed the spark plugs/air filter/engine,trans,dif oil.. and yes there's a shake in the car as if it's choked. when idle and when pressing the gas.. i'm just soo worried that it's a computer thing,, but i wanna remove the doupt so i can sleep
Old 06-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Launching!

ttt.

i've narrowed some items i should check,,

O2 sensors
air pump fuse
EGR valve
Cat converter

what do u think>?
Old 07-03-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Had same problem. I changed my catalytic converter and it passed with no problem.