General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 06:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jjyiz28
no i don't know how to change the oil. i did though with my 97 accord, with a friend, and it took hours, and the stuff overflowed onto his driveway. i also don't know if we overtighted or undertighted the bolt underneath, stuff like that. i just need someone to teach me once, so that in the future, i could do it myself.
i pity you.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
i pity you.
lolz

if someone wants to make an extra 50 bucks. i could drive to your location, or you could come to my place, we could shoot the **** and stuff , whatever. i live in buena park. if no one wants to help me out, ill call don lee auto and seee if he is familiar with seafoam.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lolz

if someone wants to make an extra 50 bucks. i could drive to your location, or you could come to my place, we could shoot the **** and stuff , whatever. i live in buena park. if no one wants to help me out, ill call don lee auto and seee if he is familiar with seafoam.
honestly man, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to do this. it's not hard at all. and how in the name of blue hell did you have trouble with an oil change? i mean, it's a pain in the *** getting underneath these cars and jacking them up, but the procedure is nothing more than unscrewing a bolt in your oil pan and changing your filter.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:37 PM
10 Second Club

Look man go to this site http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm Its like a install for dummies
Old 02-06-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Regular

lolz

How about we do it together? I want to do this aswell. We can take some pics. . . show ppl on the forum. They'll love that. I am in santa ana,ca. We arent far from each other. YGPM.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Regular

I have a question about seafoam however. Heres my situation:
My car has 201,000 miles. Last weekend I replaced the fuel filter and switched over to GC oil. I am still not getting the accelaration that I used to. I had the motor rebuilt @ 192,000 because the previous owner killed it. I have since put on 8-9k on it. Would it still be okay to seafoam the car? Would there still be foaming whatever was left from before 9k miles??? What would of been rebuilt and what wouldnt of??? I know my dad took the motor out and had it rebuilt then received it back and popped it back in. Would there be signs of the pre 8k miles of carbon build up on it?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBoy5
How about we do it together? I want to do this aswell. We can take some pics. . . show ppl on the forum. They'll love that. I am in santa ana,ca. We arent far from each other. YGPM.

yeah that'll be cool. i take it you never did it as well?? i hope you are mechanically inclined cuz im not.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBoy5
I have a question about seafoam however. Heres my situation:
My car has 201,000 miles. Last weekend I replaced the fuel filter and switched over to GC oil. I am still not getting the accelaration that I used to. I had the motor rebuilt @ 192,000 because the previous owner killed it. I have since put on 8-9k on it. Would it still be okay to seafoam the car? Would there still be foaming whatever was left from before 9k miles??? What would of been rebuilt and what wouldnt of??? I know my dad took the motor out and had it rebuilt then received it back and popped it back in. Would there be signs of the pre 8k miles of carbon build up on it?
Yes, still seafoam it. Its not a brandnew motor just a rebuild, i would seafoam it.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

yeah that'll be cool. i take it you never did it as well?? i hope you are mechanically inclined cuz im not.
hah im not like a mechanic but I can handle this very easily. I can change my oil, filter, fuel filter, rotate tires, alternator, battery, change hoses, flush a radiator, change a thermostat, EGR valve, and such, hah All this stuff is routine but i know because my car has needed them all. I still consider myself a noobie but i want to learn as much as I can to service my car oh and you got pm.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

i just did the crankcase and gas tank as choco prescirbed. i went to do the brakebooster and the car wouldnt run at all with the vaccum leak. how can i put seafoam in brake booster if the car doesnt run???
Old 02-08-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've done a jeep, a silverado, my car, and an s10.

All were pleased with the results and we thoroughly smoked up the place. lol
Old 02-08-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a daily driver today with 100k miles im going to seafoam it this weekend probably alrdy got 2 cans from autozone today.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by camarolvr69
i just did the crankcase and gas tank as choco prescirbed. i went to do the brakebooster and the car wouldnt run at all with the vaccum leak. how can i put seafoam in brake booster if the car doesnt run???
What i would do, is go ahead and unhook the booster line, stick your funnel in poor some in, and then have some one start the car, and keep pouring it in, On my car, it wanted to go dead when unhooked, but while i was pouring the seafoam in, it would idle high.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by camarolvr69
try what 99corvette says.

what i'd personally do is unhook the brake booster, stick the funnel in, then put my palm over the funnel to suppress the vacuum leak. once the car starts, take your hand away. the car will want to die, but as 99corvette says, when you start pouring in the seafoam it'll come back to life. you're gonna want the car to die at the end of this anyway. the key here is to flood the car at the end so it chokes out with the seafoam still sitting in the cylinders, then let it sit for a good 20+ minutes to soak.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
try what 99corvette says.

what i'd personally do is unhook the brake booster, stick the funnel in, then put my palm over the funnel to suppress the vacuum leak. once the car starts, take your hand away. the car will want to die, but as 99corvette says, when you start pouring in the seafoam it'll come back to life. you're gonna want the car to die at the end of this anyway. the key here is to flood the car at the end so it chokes out with the seafoam still sitting in the cylinders, then let it sit for a good 20+ minutes to soak.
Hey, when i poured the last bit in, my car didnt go dead, but i turned it off as soon as i could, so did i still have some in the cylinder walls, even though it didnt flood itself?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 99corvette
Hey, when i poured the last bit in, my car didnt go dead, but i turned it off as soon as i could, so did i still have some in the cylinder walls, even though it didnt flood itself?
i'm sure you still had some. just know it's more beneficial to choke the motor out with the seafoam so it all sits in there. at the same time, you don't wanna overdo it and pour a whole can in there! you still want your car to start
Old 02-08-2007, 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i'm sure you still had some. just know it's more beneficial to choke the motor out with the seafoam so it all sits in there. at the same time, you don't wanna overdo it and pour a whole can in there! you still want your car to start
Well actually..................i did i used a whole can, but you can flood it out, because when you pour the seafoam in, the rpms just go up..
Old 02-09-2007, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

did the seafoam through the brake booster line today
sounded wicked when i poured that stuff in there. when i cranked it back up, it smoked pretty good for like 10 mins of
thank you choco...my butt dyno felt an increase.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

ehhh i did it through the fuel and brake booster today.....didnt really cough out much, maybe cause my motors only got like 30 miles on it lol....but i did want to clean out the injectors...
Old 02-22-2007, 01:09 AM
Teching In

i tryed it today for the first time didnt smoke to bad did notice that the motor is idling smmmmmmooooooootttther......lol good write up.....

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car