General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:51 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I got a bit of smoke out of mine, enough that the cars behind me on the freeway backed WAY OFF, lol, but the car didn't transform into a fire breathing race car either. Didn't someone say that in some applications the seafoam being inhaled through the booster hose was only making it to only SOME of the cylinders and not all of them? And, a cleaner being inhaled through the throttle body was the only way to get all of the cylinders? I think that was with the Mopar Top End cleaner, or whatever it's called...
Old 10-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myk
I got a bit of smoke out of mine, enough that the cars behind me on the freeway backed WAY OFF, lol, but the car didn't transform into a fire breathing race car either. Didn't someone say that in some applications the seafoam being inhaled through the booster hose was only making it to only SOME of the cylinders and not all of them? And, a cleaner being inhaled through the throttle body was the only way to get all of the cylinders? I think that was with the Mopar Top End cleaner, or whatever it's called...
Yeah, I only read that after I did my seafoam cleaning...
Old 10-31-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Beginning my seafoam experiment

just added the foam to my oil and gasoline tonight, will be changing my oil and doing the top end on friday. Much luck for a smoother engine come friday night
Old 02-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Default Seafoaming

Hello I just posted this on another forum. I've been doing this for procedure since Seafoam Spray was introduced and has worked flawlessly for every car I've done this to. It doesn't even need to be an LS1 engine either, I've done it on a couple LS1's, 2005 Civic EX, '89 Buick Regal, 2000 Ram, and 2007 S-10. The procedure is simpler too than dividing your Seafoam to 3 areas, the old method. Good luck!

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-...ow-ls1-851239/

Last edited by mlopezart; 02-07-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

I hear those 2007 S-10s are rare!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ Lmao!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^

Old 03-11-2012, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Is it okay to run this in my gas tank and crank case at the same time?
Old 03-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JTtransAM
Is it okay to run this in my gas tank and crank case at the same time?
If you put SeaFoam or any other kind of crankcase cleaner in.....do not drive the car....let it idle only, no revving. Put it in after the engine is hot. Then drain it all out. Then put 4 quarts of cheap oil in and run it at idle only for 5 minutes, this cleans out ALL of the SeaFoam/cleaner out of the engine. Then drain that all out. Then put the new oil filter on and new oil in.

And yes, put it in the gas tank too......the two systems have nothing to do with each other.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6427
If you put SeaFoam or any other kind of crankcase cleaner in.....do not drive the car....let it idle only, no revving. Put it in after the engine is hot. Then drain it all out. Then put 4 quarts of cheap oil in and run it at idle only for 5 minutes, this cleans out ALL of the SeaFoam/cleaner out of the engine. Then drain that all out. Then put the new oil filter on and new oil in.

And yes, put it in the gas tank too......the two systems have nothing to do with each other.

So your saying not to do what the OP says? What would happen if I did drive with this in my oil then?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CashMoney
Yeah I did this to the GEO and blacked out the sun with all the smoke Good way to **** the neighbors off
ah yes the Geo was a little smoker when you finally seafoamed it.
(mine was anyway)

i think id like to have someone help me with the camaro though, just cuz i dont want to break it.

I do the can in the gas everynow and then but never the brake booster or oil.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:58 AM
Launching!

added half can of seafoam to half tank of gas last night, and put the other half can through the brake booster line today. planning on getting another can and doing the same thing in a few days. also trying to find mccc to do after for a nice thorough clean. might even do that twice depending on how much smoke is left. doing all this now before i replace plugs, wires, b1s1 o2 sensor, and possibly maf. also will be removing throttle body for a nice spray and scrub with the throttle body cleaner. excited to get this stuff clean!

only problem is i cant find the mccc. anyone know where i can get it online? i checked all the local stores and dealerships... nothing
Old 03-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Teching In

i couldnt get my enging to stall to save my life. lol
it
sputtered and started miss firing so i ran and turned the key off. guess it wasnt ready to stop running because with the key off it still kept running thing didnt want to stop
had a oh sh*^ moment of how do i turn a car off that doesnt want to be turned off lol.
all n all it smoked a little bit but not much at all. i was quite suprised.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Launching!

i would do it again if i were you. in the short time it took for you to run and turn the key you lost alot of seafoam. get someone to turn it for you so this doesnt happen again. maybe consider mccc too thats what im tryin to do if i can ever find it!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:06 AM
Teching In

Did it last night. I was scared, but it worked out pretty well. Pouring All of that crap in my engine while it running....lol. But it worked. I let it idle for about 10 minutes, then took it for a drive. For the first few minutes, every time it got up to around 2500 rpm, it would sputter and then shoot out a big puff of smoke. Nothing after the first few minutes.

I may need to do it again as well. Once I dumped the last 1/3 of the 1/2 of the can in, it didnt turn off. But I'm willing to bet it didnt get a full duration in before I turned the key.

Kinda smells like race gas burning out the exhaust with the Seafoam "Deep Creep" being sprayed through the intake.

I got a bit of a smoother idle, and the piston slap went away. Still sounds like a sewing machine, just not a busted sewing machine. lol
Old 04-30-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TJTALS1
Did it last night. I was scared, but it worked out pretty well. Pouring All of that crap in my engine while it running....lol. But it worked. I let it idle for about 10 minutes, then took it for a drive. For the first few minutes, every time it got up to around 2500 rpm, it would sputter and then shoot out a big puff of smoke. Nothing after the first few minutes.

I may need to do it again as well. Once I dumped the last 1/3 of the 1/2 of the can in, it didnt turn off. But I'm willing to bet it didnt get a full duration in before I turned the key.

Kinda smells like race gas burning out the exhaust with the Seafoam "Deep Creep" being sprayed through the intake.

I got a bit of a smoother idle, and the piston slap went away. Still sounds like a sewing machine, just not a busted sewing machine. lol
Just don't put any in your oil unless you need an excuse like a spun bearing to rebuild the engine.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Already did. Let it in for 100 miles then changed it and did the flush. Very black on the change. Driving to Nashville today. 6 hr drive. Hopefully I'll see some gas mileage improvements.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:45 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,745 Likes on 2,271 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Rats. I feel let down. I've spent hours reading all of this. Some of this was hilarious, some of this was disturbing. I was so sure that someone would have kicked a rod through a block from hydro locking their engine. Pouring a liquid into an engine is never, ever a good idea. Removing carbon deposits from an open engine requires some serious work. Pistons usually require glass beading, and combustion chambers get jet-washed. Really? Pour a liquid down into an engine? Definately an interesting read, though.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

It showed an improvement in gas mileage. I used to get 24 per gal. I got 26.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

WOW.....funny ****.

I guess no matter how much education and explaining a forum offers.....people will still keep trying to clean their top ends with SeaFoam....

How ****** stupid............I give up.

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car