General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich3fan
Ahh yes, those overly sensitive little kitty cats...

Mr. Taco, first let say I appreciate your very well thought out instructions. The amount of detail you included is exactly what someone who's as prone to screw-ups as me needs to see. What would really go a long way to satisying my concerns about the cats though is some re-assurance that there won't be any short or long term harm that comes their way. Until I've done my planned header install, I don't want to be spending money on new cats if I can avoid it.

I guess only time can tell, but thanks for understanding my Alarmist atitude anyway.
first off, thanks for the compliments.

second, i didn't put reassuring statements that no harm will come for a specific reason - in the 1 in a million chance a cat goes bad, i would have been lying to someone, and i don't want that.

is there risk in seafoaming your car? yes. is there risk every time you pull up into a gas station and fill up? yes. you could get bad gas. you risk your life every time you get behind the wheel of your car. there's a risk factor in everything you do. is it LIKELY you'll foul plugs, melt cats or burn up O2's? no way, the chance is very, very small. is it possible? anything is possible, and as long as that's true, i won't claim anything is 100% safe.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Alright! I'm done seafoaming completely on my car with 128K Did the fuel and now I am going to change the fuel filter when I do my header install next weekend. I ran it in my oil for about 150 miles and it was dark, but not as dark as a normal change. Definately more than what it should be for 150 miles. Lastly the fun part, I put it in the vacuum line and sprayed the TB. It sounds pretty cool with the line off. Its like I had a lopy cam. It really didn't wanna idle at first. I had to play with the throttle till it just stayed running. I was worried I couldn't do it at first because I didn't think it would idle as I poured it in. Suprizingly, it idled higher when I put the seafoam in! I firgured it would smoke as I did poured it in, but it didn't. I stalled the car and sprayed the TB real good. I put it all back together and started it up. I had to crank it for a few seconds then it started. NOW the white smoke was upon me. I left in a hurry with a cloud in the parking lot. It only smoked for a minute or so. After that, I was haulin' *** on some country back roads.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it a few weeks ago (im not a noob ive done it many times to my v6, and each time got a smoke show) The V6 has 50k miles and ive done it at least twice with results. The SS has 75K miles and I got no smoke wtf? I dont get it, the prev owner never ran upper intake cleaning I asked him, and he had the car 15K miles. I ran half can into brake booster. Let it sit for around 30 min.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

I did my 99 Maxima the other day. When I dumped the rest into the boster line it kept on running, EVEN after the key was off and removed. Argh!! It did smoke while idling and for about two blocks. The car has 85k on it and this was the first time it was used. I noticed when I had changed the plugs recently that there was carbon on the pistons. If I get a chance I'll pull one out and look to see how clean it is.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just seafoamed my engine and now I'm getting some bad backfire that I've never expierienced before. I had quite a smoke show on my hands after the initial seafoam and I didnt notice anything wrong while driving it, but after starting it up later and revving in neutral for a bit, it starts to backfire around 3-4k rpm. Is this normal?
Old 09-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

Great write up choco, I seafoamed my 00 Z28 the other day and she is running like a raped APE. I have a question for you, when sucking it through the brake booster line how equally distributed do you think it is? Is the LS1 brake booster line connected to the intake manifold? I'm just wondering if it cleaned some cylinders closest to the vacuum line better than ones farthest away? Thanks, my car has 82,xxx miles on it and it smoked like a train for a good mile and half.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay, in regard to the deep creep treatment. I have a late model V6 Series II with the electric throttle body. How would I go about doing the intake plenum treatment as the butterfly does not respond to throttle input while the engine is off.

I'd really enjoy your input in the matter as the intake design our cars has this great tendency of allowing buildup like crazy.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I know what some of you are thinking, !V6 and Instal LSx. Not now dammit!
Old 09-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Gallstaff
I just seafoamed my engine and now I'm getting some bad backfire that I've never expierienced before. I had quite a smoke show on my hands after the initial seafoam and I didnt notice anything wrong while driving it, but after starting it up later and revving in neutral for a bit, it starts to backfire around 3-4k rpm. Is this normal?
no, this isn't normal. could be a fouled plug or maybe a dirty MAF sensor. i'd try cleaning the MAF.

Originally Posted by fatjet00
Great write up choco, I seafoamed my 00 Z28 the other day and she is running like a raped APE. I have a question for you, when sucking it through the brake booster line how equally distributed do you think it is? Is the LS1 brake booster line connected to the intake manifold? I'm just wondering if it cleaned some cylinders closest to the vacuum line better than ones farthest away? Thanks, my car has 82,xxx miles on it and it smoked like a train for a good mile and half.
i doubt it's very equally distrubuted. it will never get all the cylinders equally. it may not even get all the cylinders. you'll never get them all equally with an over-the-counter treatment. the only way to do it completely and evenly is to pull apart the motor. i couldn't tell you which ones it gets.

Originally Posted by WarShrike
Okay, in regard to the deep creep treatment. I have a late model V6 Series II with the electric throttle body. How would I go about doing the intake plenum treatment as the butterfly does not respond to throttle input while the engine is off.

I'd really enjoy your input in the matter as the intake design our cars has this great tendency of allowing buildup like crazy.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I know what some of you are thinking, !V6 and Instal LSx. Not now dammit!
nah, if you own a V6, that's your call. i have no problem with V6's like some people on this site. i owned one for 3 years and yea it was slow, but a V6 will always be a more reliable car than a V8 since it's less prone to breaking, less prone to break other parts and it's cheaper to fix.

my advice would be to just take the throttle body off so the manifold is wide open, then just spray the deep creep right into the manifold.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
...i have no problem with V6's like some people on this site....
Thanks, it's kinda hard to find people that are like that. I know of some people that are learning not to underestimate the Series II V6. Their potential just wasn't realized much at all by GM corporate.

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
My advice would be to just take the throttle body off so the manifold is wide open, then just spray the deep creep right into the manifold.
Cool, thanks for that advice. I'll check up on FTV6 and find out the stuff for TB removal. Might find a ramp or jack I can use to raise the front end so I don't have alot of coolant loss out the open TB portion.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Tech Resident

taking a throttle body off shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. i know on LS1 cars it takes all of 30 seconds to remove the lid up to the bellows as i just put in my FTRA today (and i have the bloody knuckles to prove it). just take a quick look in your engine bay and look for one of those metal clamps with the screw in it for tightening. i don't know what your engine bay looks like, but i can't imagine it's more than a 5 minute procedure.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the write up on the Seafoam! Just did it all during my 1 hr lunch break. Took some convincing to get the booster hose off, but once that was done, it was smoothe sailing.

Started the car up and it looked like the back half of our apartment complex was smoking as I went full bore down the alley

The 'smoke' stopped coming out strongly after about 3 blocks, then stopped altogether after about 6 or 7. Drove it for about 10 minutes without any codes or any issues. I'm going to start it up later this afternoon and see how it idles.

I'll see what I can do about the throttle body. I might just see if I can remove the actuator side and open the butterfly manually.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok so you do all the seafoaming at once?? like on the same day you go fill up with gas pour the seafoam in the tank, then go home and pour half into oil, and then rest into the brake hose?? or do you spread it out like 1 on one day then the next day do the next 1, how do you do that?
Old 09-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by bjamick
ok so you do all the seafoaming at once?? like on the same day you go fill up with gas pour the seafoam in the tank, then go home and pour half into oil, and then rest into the brake hose?? or do you spread it out like 1 on one day then the next day do the next 1, how do you do that?
however you want. all at once or in increments. makes no difference.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok I just read through this entire post but I just want to make sure before i do this a couple of things:
1) Will it have much of an effect if I just go to Advance Auto Parts buy one can of it and then go fill up my gas tank and then dump the whole can in (w/o the other steps)?
2) Will it have the maximum effect if I just do the step mentioned above and not do anything special i.e. WOT runs, like just normal driving from the gas station and just normal daily driving?
3) Finally, what I gather from one if the posts is if i do what i mention above no smoke will be emitted? So I wont be able to tell if its doing anything, nothing will change?
Old 09-17-2006, 12:12 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by KameleonTransAm
Ok I just read through this entire post but I just want to make sure before i do this a couple of things:
1) Will it have much of an effect if I just go to Advance Auto Parts buy one can of it and then go fill up my gas tank and then dump the whole can in (w/o the other steps)?
2) Will it have the maximum effect if I just do the step mentioned above and not do anything special i.e. WOT runs, like just normal driving from the gas station and just normal daily driving?
3) Finally, what I gather from one if the posts is if i do what i mention above no smoke will be emitted? So I wont be able to tell if its doing anything, nothing will change?
1.) unless your injectors are really dirty, it's not going to do a whole lot. most of the improvements are felt by the final step.

2.) if you do the above writeup, why wouldn't you go WOT? high revving allows the seafoam to get deeper into the motor and burn more crap off. putting the seafoam into a vacuum line will only effect the motor for a very short time, a few minutes at most, so in order to get the full effect you have to rev high. if you dump it in the motor and drive it around like a grandma, it's not going to do much for you because after 5 minutes it's all going to be burnt out of your combustion chamber.

3.) the only part that emits smoke is when you feed it to the engine through a vacuum line. the rest will not make anything smoke. you won't really feel a difference from seafoaming your gas tank or your crank case. it's good for the car, yes, but you won't physically feel much of a difference. the third step is where the feeling of a difference comes into play since it has the greatest effect to the motor.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

I got my car a few weeks ago, its a '01 T/A with 96,000 miles. From the looks of the air filter and pcv valve I changed it doesnt look like they ever did any major service to it. So I decided this would be perfect to do, to make sure everything is running smooth. I seafoamed it exactly like mentioned, with one exception I only let it idle for about 5 mins. befor I went for my spirited drive, do you think that may affect the results? I am going to run it for about a hundred miles and its getting the 100k mile service done just to once again make sure everything is running great. After the quick drive all I did was stop by the gas station and fill up and add the last bottle to the fuel, but I did notice the car feels smoother and is a bit quieter at idle. It back fires a bit, I think on of my plugs might have gone but like I said they are getting changed very shortly so that ok. Oh and yes it did smoke quiet a bit, not so much at idle but once I got on the street it smoke for about a mile. It was pretty thick white/blueish smoke, I plan on doing it again in about 10k-20k miles...

Thanks for the great write-up!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

So, any thoughts on running Seafoam through a rotary engine? I just got my '86 RX-7 back from my ex, and was wondering about it. It just rolled over 140k. I'm def. going to do this on my '00 TA though. She has 65k, and is due for an oil change in the next week or so.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:26 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by majeskyb
So, any thoughts on running Seafoam through a rotary engine? I just got my '86 RX-7 back from my ex, and was wondering about it. It just rolled over 140k. I'm def. going to do this on my '00 TA though. She has 65k, and is due for an oil change in the next week or so.
i can't see it making a difference whether it's rotary, pushrod, OHC, DOHC, hybrid...they still run on petroleum based fuel and seafoam is a pure petroleum cleaner. they all get the same buildup over time and seafoam will clean them all the same IMO.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

Alright, i just seafoamed the beast. i have a rough cam, LT's, ory, and hooker. it smoked like a mad ***** for a while when it idled. when i got on the highway and rowed through 4 gears, and it felt like i was flying a rocket. smoke coming out behind me was awesome. i take it it worked ok, and was cleaning. i dont know if they black smoke means carbon is being cleansed, or simply the sea foam burning, hard to say. anyway, the car has 111,000 and this is its first sea foam to my knowledge. killed 30 minutes anyway. Good writeup.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:53 PM
12 Second Club

I just seafoamed my car today. But im not sure if i used enough, cause it didnt die when i poured it in real fast i had to turn it off with the key. At idle it didnt smoke at all, then when i first went down the street it smoke real good for a min, then i did a wot and their was barley any smoke. Do you think I could try it one more time in a fewe weeks without it hurting anything?

By the way i did notice a smoother idle.

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car