General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey when i went to the auto store they didnt have the deep creep sea foam just the other that you pour into the gas tank.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WWOOWW haha i just did this whole thing to my 96 grand chreokee, in the parkin lot of advance, and i had people giveing out of all the stires including big lots and WALMART to check out my blue smoke. I was going down the road and people stayed away from me lol.... guess they think i was about to blow up haha. but the jeep is runnin a whole lot better and i even pissed up a couple neighbors. I'm am going to do my 01 SLP SS camaro this weekend
Old 09-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bjamick
hey when i went to the auto store they didnt have the deep creep sea foam just the other that you pour into the gas tank.
you don't need to do the deep creep, it's optional. sure it'll help, but it's not the end of the world if you can't find the stuff. but if you definitely want to do it, try advance, autozone, napa...someone's gotta have it.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Veteran

ya i went to advance, but if im going to do it, i wanna do it right.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Im new to forum would like to know I have a 94 3.4 RS and it has 196000 miles on it it is starting to puff blue smoke out the tail pipe upon startup would it be safe for me to do a complete seafoam job on it or will it possibly make the smoke worse great write up by the way
Old 09-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by camaroRS27292
Im new to forum would like to know I have a 94 3.4 RS and it has 196000 miles on it it is starting to puff blue smoke out the tail pipe upon startup would it be safe for me to do a complete seafoam job on it or will it possibly make the smoke worse great write up by the way
well...two things could happen.

1.) if the smoke is caused by excessive carbon buildup, the seafoam will help. it'll clean all the gunk out of the internals of the engine so it burns more cleanly.

2.) i'd think this is the more likely candidate for what is wrong. chances are your seals are starting to leak and oil is getting in your gasoline causing the blue smoke you speak of. if you seafoam with bad seals, you risk unplugging crusted up oil that is actually blocking the oil from traveling through the leaky seals. this will enlarge the holes and cause even more blue smoke than before.

it's risky seafoaming for the first time on a car with such high mileage that is already seeing oil burn problems. you can give it a try - i'm not guaranteeing anything is wrong at all, i'm just giving you the possibility that there could be more problems than benefits. seafoaming your gas tank is harmless to this issue, so that i'd DEFINITELY do. whether you want to clean the top end or the crankcase, that's entirely up to you.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

amazing thread.,... ill post the results in a few days... im going to try and have my younger brother film the smoke
Old 09-27-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the full seafoam treatment to the LS1 yesterday. Honestly I think it really did help. The car just seems more smooth. I had a little scare though. My friend was in the drivers seat holding down the throttle and I was squirting the deep creep into the intake..well the little red tube that you attatch onto the thing at the top of the can yeah....it came off and went inside the intake. We had to fish it out
Old 09-27-2006, 10:44 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by bjamick
O'Reilly has it...not by the SeaFoam though...near the WD-40 and PB Blaster...
Old 09-28-2006, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

just seafoamed the 02 with 88000 miles. lots of smoke. do notice a little difference in the exceleration. thanks to ChocoTaco369 for writing the thread. it was easy to read and understand. next up my headers and tsp rumbler system
Old 09-29-2006, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

now does it matter weather or not all three steps are done @ the same time???
i was thinking of adding to the oil & fuel today... and doing the deep creep & brake booster vacum line next week or so

still just as effective???
Old 09-29-2006, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

im assuming this is perfectly acceptable to do on a 00 dodge dakota?

n/m i answered my own question, good write up, thanx
Old 09-29-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the thread, I've heard of this process but now my questions are answered for the most part. I still have a question...I'm working on my Ford Ranger and the heads are off to fix a chipped exhaust valve and do some other maintainence. The pistons have lots of carbon buildup on them do to running extremely rich for 2+ years . How much Seafoam should I pour into the open cylinders, or should I baste the pistons like a turkey? Perhaps its better to use the aerosol "Deep Creep" I don't know. Should I try to scape out the "softened" carbon before I install the heads or just let it smoke up the neighborhood?
Old 09-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 1baddls1
now does it matter weather or not all three steps are done @ the same time???
i was thinking of adding to the oil & fuel today... and doing the deep creep & brake booster vacum line next week or so

still just as effective???
you can do them in any order, whenever you please. you can skip steps if you'd like. by no means must you do them all at once. doing so will just help you notice it more since the effect is compounded, but in the long run it doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by squealingtires
Thanks for the thread, I've heard of this process but now my questions are answered for the most part. I still have a question...I'm working on my Ford Ranger and the heads are off to fix a chipped exhaust valve and do some other maintainence. The pistons have lots of carbon buildup on them do to running extremely rich for 2+ years . How much Seafoam should I pour into the open cylinders, or should I baste the pistons like a turkey? Perhaps its better to use the aerosol "Deep Creep" I don't know. Should I try to scape out the "softened" carbon before I install the heads or just let it smoke up the neighborhood?
i have nooooo idea what to do in this situation. personally, i'd either take it to a shop and get it all professionally cleaned and machine washed, or i'd just bolt it back up and seafoam it through the vacuum lines. that being said, taking it to a shop and having it professionally washed will show more benefits than seafoam ever could since you know you're getting all the carbon. seafoam's bound to miss spots.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:16 PM
Launching!

If you didn't know they also got seafoam for your transmission and power steering too. I never seen it til today one of my friends bought it and used it. But anyways just wanted to let ya'll know since u only got regular seafoam up there and the deep creep.

=\
Old 09-30-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

well... added to the fuel & oil last yesterday
an hour ago sucked in through the vaccum line...
set sit for 20 min... started her up
and HOLY GOOD GOD!!!
smoke trailing behind me for a mile or so and 3 WOT passes...
def had a bunch of crap in there... expains the pinging on my dyno pass
guess thats what happens when i buy a car from a 40 yr old lady who only put 87 octane in it for 47,000 miles

ill update on how the car feels & any improvment in MPG

THANKS AGAIN CHOCO!!!
Old 09-30-2006, 09:52 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 1baddls1
well... added to the fuel & oil last yesterday
an hour ago sucked in through the vaccum line...
set sit for 20 min... started her up
and HOLY GOOD GOD!!!
smoke trailing behind me for a mile or so and 3 WOT passes...
def had a bunch of crap in there... expains the pinging on my dyno pass
guess thats what happens when i buy a car from a 40 yr old lady who only put 87 octane in it for 47,000 miles

ill update on how the car feels & any improvment in MPG

THANKS AGAIN CHOCO!!!
no problem. let us know the results!

Originally Posted by Craiggg
If you didn't know they also got seafoam for your transmission and power steering too. I never seen it til today one of my friends bought it and used it. But anyways just wanted to let ya'll know since u only got regular seafoam up there and the deep creep.

=\
i'm aware of the seafoam trans additive but i didn't know they have a power steering additive. for what it's worth, i'd never put additives into a 4L60E, EVER. it's bad bad bad to even put synthetic ATF in a 4L60E, let alone additives. putting additives in your engine is one thing, but IMO the trans should have nothing in it but pure conventional ATF. if you want to try the trans additive, go ahead, but personally - again, just my opinion, i have no proof to back this up - i'd stay away from putting stuff in your tranny. it's much more fragile than an engine.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Yeah I didn't put it in my car my friend put it in his grand am. But the stuff for the trans is the same stuff for the power steering. Im not gonna try it on my car because I don't think it needs it anyways. But for they transmission your supposed to drive like 5 miles switching inbetween gears and stuff and then change your fluid but mine dont need it when I changed mine a few months ago everything looked brand new inside my tranny so I highly doubt it would need something like that. And my power steering don't leak or anythign like that so i'll just leave it at that and not use it for either. Was just letting ya'll know that they had it for that too.

=\
Old 10-01-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Just seafoamed the formula with 95k miles on it, it smoked quite a bit and left an awesome trail of black smoke at WOT, the car altogether feels like it gained a little power back and the acceleration feels much better. I won't say it really idles or runs better, its about the same, but all together, def. worth doing!
Old 10-03-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Great write-up! I've 120,000 on my Z and will do this before my next oil change. Thanks, man!

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car