General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 01:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey choco, whats up? hey i was wondering - if the the sea foam treatment would be bad for the car later down the road? thanks brotha
Old 10-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nickand98redta
hey choco, whats up? hey i was wondering - if the the sea foam treatment would be bad for the car later down the road? thanks brotha
no way. it's better for it down the road since you'll have less carbon buildup than there should be. this will keep the engine looking newer longer.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:22 PM
12 Second Club

I seafoamed my friends car today, here somes pictures!

A bit of smoke got in my car right before that pics, that couldnt be to good for me. we just used a whole can of seafoam.

Last edited by FireSilverLullaby; 10-14-2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

nice pics. hey can anyone send me a video of how to sea foam? i mean i know choco did an excellent instructional with pictures but i wanna see someone do it step by step. besides the putting it in your gas tank part cause i got that part. but for the brake booster part and etc. i cant figure it out. pictures are more than appreciated as well. if no can do then thats okay, it is a little too much. thanks though.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by nickand98redta
nice pics. hey can anyone send me a video of how to sea foam? i mean i know choco did an excellent instructional with pictures but i wanna see someone do it step by step. besides the putting it in your gas tank part cause i got that part. but for the brake booster part and etc. i cant figure it out. pictures are more than appreciated as well. if no can do then thats okay, it is a little too much. thanks though.
i doubt you're gonna find a video out there anywhere that shows you how to seafoam, much less done on our cars. i'm not about to go make one though. i'm nice but not that nice

what is it that you can't figure out about the brake booster part? tell us your problems, we'll figure them out for you.

WOOT! 2,000th's post!
Old 10-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Launching!

There was a video of how to seafoam or of them seafoaming a camaro on some site. Might have been this one I don't remember, but it just showed them pouring it into the brake booster line. Which it's pretty simple all you gotta do is take that off and get a funnel and pour it in slow at first and then at the end fast to try to stall the car or w/e.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just dropped in to give my experience. My car let out only one good puff and my oil was pretty blackened. So all in all my 67k was gentle. I did want to share my friends experience which was the exact opposite. Car is a 91 gta 90k 305 tpi and it smoked out the entire neighborhood for 15 minutes no lie. Then the oil was awful. The 2nd batch of oil was also black so it now has a 3rd batch of oil in the car. It now runs better as you can guess.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do I have to do all three steps or can I just do the brake booster one??
Old 10-19-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

yea same here, lets say i fill up do the see foam in the gas tank... then next day do the oil sea foam?
i currently have 1500 miles on the oil now kan i just add it to that then 100 miles later change it or should i do the hole process near my oil change time3k miles.. or should i do an oil change with some murrays oil add the sea foam then change it back to the mobile oil..... lol or should these be a one hole day process
Old 10-19-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

i just replaced the fuel filter pcv plugs and wires last week should i just wait till after winter to do the sea foam or what???
Old 10-20-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

just sea foamed, my top end and fuel. it def is alot smoother idleing now. not as much smell out the exhaust either, i have ory as well. all in all i would say if you havent done it try it out. the rpms seem to rev a lil faster. well see in a couple of days!
Old 10-21-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

would seafoaming a car that has never been seafoamed at 223,000 miles damage the car?...
Old 10-21-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i did mine today and there was only one blue puff of smoke when i started it and then another puff when I floored it and that was it.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

i did mine yesterday and i did all 3 steps . when i turned it on again , it didnt throw much smoke, but when i took it for a short 10 minute drive i saw some smoke it wasnt black smoke tho it was there for a while also the car felt alot better couldnt punch it tho got to like 50 mph a few times couldnt go on the big streets here due to rush hour traffic but i think it made a difference in my car thanks for the write up choco
Old 10-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Launching!

I did all 3 to mine the other day, wow! big difference, im happy I got some smoke, not as much as I was hoping for tho I really wanted to **** off my neighbors. When I did my oil change it looks like the filter may have been clogged up or something, when I broke the seal on the filter I got probably 2 quarts or more... Ive never seen that much oil backed up behind the oil filter!! Im gunna cut it open this weekend and Ill post some pics. GREAT WRITE UP CHOCO!!!
Old 10-25-2006, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by steveb1
Choco, Awsome write up Bro. I'm at 52,xxx miles and coming up on an oil change soon. I got some pinging and rough idle (mostly when cold) so I'm doing the whole procedure. Looking forward to it.

But I have some questions about my son's 1998 s10 2.2l 4 banger. It's got 9x,xxx miles. It used to be mine and I took care of it pretty well. My son doesn't. Just gas and keeps adding oil. It sounds like crap and has a ticking sound. My plan is to do the Seafoam procedure first then new wires, plugs, filters, pcv, etc...

Question 1 Do you think this engine will hold up to this procedure? or will I be blowing oil all over the place.

Question 2 Assuming all goes well and I get this engine cleaned out, do you think it would make sense to switch to synthetic oil?

Thanks for your help.
Steve
Hey Choco,
I just came across this thread again and I just want to let you know I seafoamed my Hawk about 2 Months ago at 52,xxx mi. Followed your procedure exactly. Car runs fantastic now and better gas mileage too. The amount of smoke I would say was moderate, not excessive.

Great write up... This **** really works.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 10-26-2006, 01:34 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 1cleanbird
Do I have to do all three steps or can I just do the brake booster one??
you can do them each whenever you want. you don't have to do them sequentially or you don't have to do them at all. it doesn't matter.

if you look through the thread, i answered all your questions already quite a few times just to let you know
Originally Posted by CASHss99
yea same here, lets say i fill up do the see foam in the gas tank... then next day do the oil sea foam?
i currently have 1500 miles on the oil now kan i just add it to that then 100 miles later change it or should i do the hole process near my oil change time3k miles.. or should i do an oil change with some murrays oil add the sea foam then change it back to the mobile oil..... lol or should these be a one hole day process
you can put the seafoam in your oil whenever you want, just change it 100 miles later.
Originally Posted by toofless916
would seafoaming a car that has never been seafoamed at 223,000 miles damage the car?...
i've answered this question a few times over the course of the thread, also. in short, the seafoam will not hurt your car no matter what the mileage is. what you need to be concerned is if you have any leaks that have developed over time that are being stopped from crusted up oil. your old oil may be acting like a gasket preventing leaks. if you seafoam your car, it could potentially free up gunk that is plugging leak holes. however, if there are no leak holes, you have nothing to worry about.

thanks to rique71, SoCalZ28, steveb1 and anyone else i missed for the compliments.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Great write up but can't find the seafoam deep creep anywhere...
Old 10-30-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I seafoamed my car today has about 103xxx miles on her, man what a difference!!! It's very noticeable the throttle response is much much crisper and I can actually feel a little difference in acceleration. Not too mention it was a whole lot of fun pouring out smoke through town
Old 11-05-2006, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

This is funny and i feel a little stupid.I just did the seafoam thing.I already had half tank of gas so I put half the can in the tank and the other half thru the booster hose man that thing was tough getting off so i just pulled the check valve out of the booster so it was easier to get the hose off,so any way i poured in slow probaly to slow because i saw no smoke at first the faster i poured it started to smoke,then I dumped the last bit in fast,I think I shorted myself because it wasnt enough to make it die it almost did,when I went to turn if it putered and finally died.So then I went to put it back togather and wait a little while to drive it,it was hard to keep running,my cam is decent size anyway at least to me it is and it lopes pretty good but I noticed my brake peddle was harder then a brick,hardley had no brakes when I pulled out of my drive,but i thought maybe I just need to build up some vacume ? they got no better.What the hell I drove down the road anyway,and kicked it down once.I have over 400 hp at the wheels so I was little leary about running all out with crappy brakes a kick down at 20mph gets you to 80 pretty dam quick,brakes are still crap.I come home in one piece still and started scratching my head what could this be.It came to me I must have put the check valve in backwards,yep that was it.I now have brakes again.So I went one more time,did a couple wot runs.I forgot the beast I had here on I my hands,its been a while since i drove the car my dad has been sick and the car has not been in my mind for a while.I had some fun and no more smoke.I cant beleive I typed this much LOL,o well.I also bought some GC 0w30 for an oil change.I also saw a ricer pulled over by the sheriff right down the road from me.It could have been me.Cheap thrills for the day.It does work.

Last edited by Brianss1; 11-05-2006 at 04:36 PM.

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car