General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you read the back of the bottle it tells you that only 1/3 of the can is needed to treat one full tank of gas....so dont add one whole bottle...that is all
Old 11-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brianss1
This is funny and i feel a little stupid.I just did the seafoam thing.I already had half tank of gas so I put half the can in the tank and the other half thru the booster hose man that thing was tough getting off so i just pulled the check valve out of the booster so it was easier to get the hose off,so any way i poured in slow probaly to slow because i saw no smoke at first the faster i poured it started to smoke,then I dumped the last bit in fast,I think I shorted myself because it wasnt enough to make it die it almost did,when I went to turn if it putered and finally died.So then I went to put it back togather and wait a little while to drive it,it was hard to keep running,my cam is decent size anyway at least to me it is and it lopes pretty good but I noticed my brake peddle was harder then a brick,hardley had no brakes when I pulled out of my drive,but i thought maybe I just need to build up some vacume ? they got no better.What the hell I drove down the road anyway,and kicked it down once.I have over 400 hp at the wheels so I was little leary about running all out with crappy brakes a kick down at 20mph gets you to 80 pretty dam quick,brakes are still crap.I come home in one piece still and started scratching my head what could this be.It came to me I must have put the check valve in backwards,yep that was it.I now have brakes again.So I went one more time,did a couple wot runs.I forgot the beast I had here on I my hands,its been a while since i drove the car my dad has been sick and the car has not been in my mind for a while.I had some fun and no more smoke.I cant beleive I typed this much LOL,o well.I also bought some GC 0w30 for an oil change.I also saw a ricer pulled over by the sheriff right down the road from me.It could have been me.Cheap thrills for the day.It does work.
grammar my friend, grammar

it sounds like your brake booster line is leaking to me. pull the hose back off completely and put it back on. make sure there are no cracks in the hose also. you have have cracked the hose trying to pull it off. if there are no cracks anywhere in the hose and you reattach it and make sure there are no leaks, i have no idea what it could be

it's DEFINITELY something with the brake booster.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brakes are fine now.It was just the check valve.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice write up. I just changed my oil last weekend but I might be changing it next weekend again! lol
Old 11-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Teching In

I just seafoamed this weekend and now I'm throwing codes P0306, misfire, could this be related or just coincidence. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:53 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-Maggot
I just seafoamed this weekend and now I'm throwing codes P0306, misfire, could this be related or just coincidence. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Depends on how you did it.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool.. .well the cans of seafoam sitting on the shelf were calling my name so I took care of it. First added it to the oil. Then fired it up and drove the car around to warm it up and pulled the Booster line and went to work. I was laughing hard when I first steped on the gas leaving the driveway and saw nothing but a cloud of smoke. It was missing for the first minute of driving until the smoke cleared up a bit. Then took it for a blast in the industrial park then a quick run on the highway and stoped at the gas station to add the rest of the seafoam to the fuel. Its blowing clean now. Next weekend I'll change the oil and see what that looks like. Usually average about 17-18 mpg driving to and from work. We'll see if it changes and how the car runs. It was well worth it just to see the plume of smoke. Dunno why but I really get a kick out of that.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Launching!

Just did mine this weekend. I had a some smoke while idling and some light revving, but barely anything when I took it out for a drive. Maybe my engine was just really, really clean?
Old 11-13-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey, I just did this today. Boy did I get by my car. I was pouring it in a funnel down the brake booster line and the bitch backfired and shot back in my face. It looked like the cartoon where someone shoots a boomshot and powder flys out the gun. White mist got all in my eyes. I'm all good and laughed it off.

My car was smokeing like crazy when putting it all in the engine. But didn't smoke hardly at all at idle or driving around. Actually I didn't get any smoke when driving. Must of been clean with 63K miles on the clock.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ralls
Hey, I just did this today. Boy did I get by my car. I was pouring it in a funnel down the brake booster line and the bitch backfired and shot back in my face. It looked like the cartoon where someone shoots a boomshot and powder flys out the gun. White mist got all in my eyes. I'm all good and laughed it off.

My car was smokeing like crazy when putting it all in the engine. But didn't smoke hardly at all at idle or driving around. Actually I didn't get any smoke when driving. Must of been clean with 63K miles on the clock.
Darwin would be proud.......
Old 11-14-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So will this make the oil pretty thin then I want to do this and I have gc 0w30 currently in the car. Has this help anyones lifter tick quiet down? I will be putting in amsoil 5w40 soon.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright, just decided to do this on my lunch break. Ran out and threw it in the brake booster cable. Car sounded like I had a bigass cam, too bad I can't just always drive around like that When I dumped in the third stage it backfired out of the cable and into my eye right before it died. Scared the hell outta me but I'm fine.

In 20 minutes I'll run out and start it up and see what happens. Hopefully I don't get evicted from my apartment. I'll make sure and get some pics if I get a lot of smoke, although it looks like this may have been done before as the clamp was already moved down on the brake booster hose
Old 11-16-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Almost time to go start it up
Old 11-16-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
When I dumped in the third stage it backfired out of the cable and into my eye right before it died. Scared the hell outta me but I'm fine.
You and me both.

My car didn't die, it made it more alive whenever I put fluid in. If I stopped pouring, it wanted to stall but never did. I had to turn the key off on the final pour.

It sounded sick without the brakebooster. I want a cam!
Old 11-16-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did my yesterday. I scared some people while driving down the road lol. It wouldn't smoke while idlin then when I got to driving down the road I it looked like I was spraying skeeters.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I'm pleased with the outcome. Car pulls up in the rpm's a lot more freely, feels like it's less burdened while cruising. It also "sounds" smoother through the ol' Magnamouth, though that may just be the "ear dyno" and all in my head

I was disappointed with the smoke; had no smoke while idling, and only one decent cloud with my first wot pull. After that, it was smoke free, though I could smell fumes for a while.

I had some horrible pinging for the first 10 minutes of driving, which scared the hell out of me to be honest. I was worried that maybe a rocker had broken loose or something But it passed and she's running nice and smooth now

I must have been right earlier in thinking that the previous owner or the dealership I purchased it from had done this before. The fact that the clamp was already slid down on the brake booster tube was a good indicator in itself, but then with the amount of smoke I got out of a 124.5k mile engine kind of confirmed it. I've only put 30k of that on it myself, so it had to have been relatively clean already, or my stock cats are still working nicely for their age, or they're clogged to hell although performance-wise it's fine, so I kind of doubt that.

Only other thing I could think of is that maybe I took too long to get the whole half a can in. I put it in in 3 stages as instructed, over about 1.5 - 2 minutes. I guess it's possible what I poured in could have combusted before I killed the motor.

Definitely worth the time spent, and you can't beat the price I can feel a good difference, and I'm hoping to notice some mpg increase as well. Thanks for the write-up delicious ChocoTaco friend.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
it looked like I was spraying skeeters.
that's hilarious

Can't wait to do this next wednesday.

-J
Old 11-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
Thanks for the write-up delicious ChocoTaco friend.
you're welcome. although this comment did make me uncomfortable for a second.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
you're welcome. although this comment did make me uncomfortable for a second.
You obviously still haven't eaten a choco taco then
Old 11-16-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

If I just did the upper cylinder cleaning, would it contaminate the oil? I just changed the oil on my beater and want to do this but don't feel like changing the oil again. I would like to get some improved mpg and a smoother running car(since i'll have a few 600 mile trips this next month). I know it needs it because its a 97 saturn with 73k which burns about 1 quart every 3k. Should I just wait untill the next oil change and do all 3?

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car