General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Found an ONLINE STORE that sells GC 0W-30!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just bought some. it was right under $50 for 6 quarts of oil... i hope its actual german castrol ..
Thanks Choco
Old 07-21-2006, 09:27 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
The BMW 5w30 is actually not Castrol Syntec made in USA though, it's a German oil too, it's Castrol Softec 5w30. It's not as good as the 0w30, but it's better than US made 5w30. It's made for the longer intervals that BMWs require.
thanks patman, good knowledge to have.

Originally Posted by z_driver1
I like the way your closest autozone changed from the 20 miles you quoted to us to 30 miles in your email to them.
32% price drop, get real

get real again, how many times are you going to gloat that you FOUND AN INTERNET SIGHT.
And how much more cocky could you have been in your email to them, acting like you are making them all kinds of money.
it depends which one i go to. right now, i work in marlton and it's near an autozone so i'm able to get my oil with only a small trip out of my way. after i'm done my internship (in 2 months), i'm going to have to drive 30 miles just to get to autozone. it's much futher from my home. right now i have a convinience trip.

as for being cocky, that all depends on your definition of cocky. do you consider politicians running ad campaigns showing the positive things they've done cocky? i'll do whatever it takes to raise awareness. right now i'm trying to be loud to spread the word. it's not like what i wrote in the email will really matter in the longrun. they either get a sponsorship or they don't. that's why i listed so many points and scenarios.

Originally Posted by Joey7489
i just bought some. it was right under $50 for 6 quarts of oil... i hope its actual german castrol ..
Thanks Choco
it's actual german castrol. mike verified and they posted it on their website. hope things work out well for you.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-21-2006 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
it depends which one i go to. right now, i work in marlton and it's near an autozone so i'm able to get my oil with only a small trip out of my way. after i'm done my internship (in 2 months), i'm going to have to drive 30 miles just to get to autozone. it's much futher from my home. right now i have a convinience trip.

as for being cocky, that all depends on your definition of cocky. do you consider politicians running ad campaigns showing the positive things they've done cocky? i'll do whatever it takes to raise awareness. right now i'm trying to be loud to spread the word. it's not like what i wrote in the email will really matter in the longrun. they either get a sponsorship or they don't. that's why i listed so many points and scenarios.
Wow, I was pretty much 100% a-hole in my post and this is a rather considerate and dignified response. That's impressive, and I appreciate it.

I must say, I've never heard of this GC, I'm gonna run around and see if I can find any now that this thread has peaked my interest. I don't see myself buying it online for over $8 a quart, but if I can find it locally I will definitly give it a shot
Old 07-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by z_driver1
Wow, I was pretty much 100% a-hole in my post and this is a rather considerate and dignified response. That's impressive, and I appreciate it.

I must say, I've never heard of this GC, I'm gonna run around and see if I can find any now that this thread has peaked my interest. I don't see myself buying it online for over $8 a quart, but if I can find it locally I will definitly give it a shot
hey man, don't worry about it. this site is all about helping people. i say some dumb things i wish i could take back every now and then on this site and in life. i wouldn't want anyone to hold it against me either. look for it locally, i understand your price concern as it is a lot of money, but the quietness of the engine on this stuff really makes it worth it if you don't have it locally. it could save you money in the long run, know what i mean? i love my LS1 and want it to last forever

just make sure it says MADE IN GERMANY on the back. they had some american made batches. they're not the stuff you want - pure junk.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

****** sweet Choco!!!! I've been wanting to try this stuff for the longest, now I can!!
Old 07-22-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

my local AutoZone sells this stuff...but it only says MADE IN GERMANY not imported by castrol america or anything....but other than that almost identical back label...is it the real stuff at my autozone?? 0w-30.....
Old 07-22-2006, 06:24 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by who281
my local AutoZone sells this stuff...but it only says MADE IN GERMANY not imported by castrol america or anything....but other than that almost identical back label...is it the real stuff at my autozone?? 0w-30.....
yes. as long as it says "made in germany" and is 0W-30 syntec, you are golden.

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
****** sweet Choco!!!! I've been wanting to try this stuff for the longest, now I can!!
awesome. you won't be disappointed.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:55 AM
Tech Resident

i figured i'd post an update to the current situation with the website. they contacted me via email and left the following response:

Dear Anthony,

I have read your posts at www.ls1tech.com and want to thank you for your comments. I did not think your comments were cocky... just looking to get a better deal based on volume. I would have done the same and hey... you never know unless you ask right!

I have been thinking about your offer and have not yet come up with a solution. Our profit margins on the Castrol Automotive Product Line (especially the GC Syntec 0w-30) is quite small compared to the Castrol Motorcycle Line we also sell online. They are two different animals and ran by Castrol seperately. That is why we give case discounts on most Castrol Motorcycle Products and don't on the Castrol Automotive Product line. Throw in the free shipping over $50.00 purchase and no tax is a pretty good deal. The other problem I will soon have is that Castrol announced another price increase for 7-24-06. I only have 12 cases of the GC Syntec 0w-30 left in stock before we raise our prices also. Let me run some numbers after the price increase and I might come up with a quantity discount or maybe no discount and a free Castrol Racing T-Shirt or other promo items that Castrol may provide with quantity case purchase.

I will be traveling with Castrol executives this weekend and will see if they want to participate. Any promo that I do would have to have Castrol support.

Please reply if you have any questions.

Regards,

David Stewart

President

Pro-Formance Motorsports
i'm kinda upset to know that GC 0W-30 will be having a price increase soon, especially since i don't have a whole lot of GC left at my house

it is great news to know that David is willing to go out of his way to talk to castrol regarding group discounts and such. something like that would be awesome. many thanks to david and his efforts, they are greatly appreciated. he seems like a great guy. i'll let you guys know of any futher developments.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-24-2006 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Good find, you are the man.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

I was interested untill I saw the price.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense to anyone but it never ceases to amaze me how some people have no problem spending thousands on appearance upgrades and performance mods but want to cheap out on the most important fluid in their car. To me 50 bucks an oil change to use the best oil I can find is cheap insurance. Add to that the fact that you can easily go 6000+ miles on the GC and it's not that expensive.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
No offense to anyone but it never ceases to amaze me how some people have no problem spending thousands on appearance upgrades and performance mods but want to cheap out on the most important fluid in their car. To me 50 bucks an oil change to use the best oil I can find is cheap insurance. Add to that the fact that you can easily go 6000+ miles on the GC and it's not that expensive.

they'll spend $5.79 a quart for mobil 1 but won't spend a dollar more for german castrol (by the time you factor in tax and transportation fees to get the mobil 1, you're only looking at another 5-10 dollars for the GC 0W-30 from this website).

$1500 for a headers and an exhaust job? cool.

$2000 for a built transmission? great deal!

$1600 for a CLUTCH? no problem!

$50 for an oil change? are you nuts?!

i agree with you, mike. it's actually quite amusing.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

i spent the $50.. i noticed higher oil pressure, and alot less engine noise.. love the oil so far
Old 07-28-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Addict

Sign me up, ill spend an extra buck or two to keep my engine running that much smoother
Old 07-28-2006, 04:10 AM
Banned

Same here, I have spent a few thousand dollars on my car already to make it go fast and drive it harder.. I DO NOT have a problem spending a couple dollars more to put in a Top Quality Oil in my ls1..
Thanks Choco for the find. im not even guna look at my local autozones, their mainly all ricerfied anyways.

Here is my question, i run Royal Purple 5w30 right now with the K&N gold .. Am i guna notice any change ? and whats the difference if there is any with the 2 . If GC is a huge upstep over the Royal Purple , then ill order some this wknd, im do for an oil change in 400 miles anyways.. thanks for the info.. good thread!
Old 07-28-2006, 07:53 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Joey7489
i spent the $50.. i noticed higher oil pressure, and alot less engine noise.. love the oil so far
hey man, you get that idling problem straightened out too? is the car back to running smooth and if it is, what was the problem

Originally Posted by Lethal_Ws6
Same here, I have spent a few thousand dollars on my car already to make it go fast and drive it harder.. I DO NOT have a problem spending a couple dollars more to put in a Top Quality Oil in my ls1..
Thanks Choco for the find. im not even guna look at my local autozones, their mainly all ricerfied anyways.

Here is my question, i run Royal Purple 5w30 right now with the K&N gold .. Am i guna notice any change ? and whats the difference if there is any with the 2 . If GC is a huge upstep over the Royal Purple , then ill order some this wknd, im do for an oil change in 400 miles anyways.. thanks for the info.. good thread!
first off, you're welcome

second, good choice on running the GC. a few extra dollars is worth a tick-free engine. the only noise from my engine bay is the damn belt tensioner squeaking

thirdly, with the switch to GC, you may notice a few differences. royal purple is known for freeing up power. it's likely because it's SO DAMN THIN. you may lose a few hp going to GC. you may also lose half a mpg or so. this is all because the mobil 1/royal purple 5W-30's are too thin for this LS1. this is why LS1's have that notorious ticking/sewing machine sound. the manual tells us 5W-30, but these manufacturers 5W-30's run closer to a 20 WEIGHT! for example, mobil 1 0W-40 is about as thick as the GC 0W-30. therefore, you get better protection/lubrication with the GC's 30 weight, but you also get awesome startup protection and cold weather protection from the 0 weight. this stuff can start unaided in -40 degree temps (according to its rating)! it's the best of both worlds and should be ran all year around.

i'd also like to say that their base oil is very exotic, much more exotic than anything mobil 1 or royal purple has. it has awesome cleaning properties and wears the engine the least out of any oil tested. patman, the oil God himself, runs it in his 'vette for 7,000 miles (or maybe it's 9,000, i forget). the funny thing is, when he gets his old oil analyzed, the tests show it could go even LONGER! this stuff is the best oil on the market. it's worth a loss of .5 mpg or a few hp if it protects better. i'm just guessing though, i have little experience with royal purple. you may not lose a damn thing. you may even gain for all i know.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-28-2006 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

I previously posted that I couldn't find GC in St. Louis.
I am sorry for that post as I didn't look hard enough and I just found
it at Autozone at a good price of $5.48 a bottle. I will be trying it soon.

Last edited by john shea; 07-28-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Banned

Awesome info, thanks ..

Now what do i do with the case of royal purple in my garage...
Old 07-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Lethal_Ws6
Awesome info, thanks ..

Now what do i do with the case of royal purple in my garage...
use it/sell it/use it on another car. it's not worthless. GC is just above and beyond better. i'm sure RP's still decent oil.

try the GC first. you may not like it. if the engine is more sluggish or happens to be ticking louder on GC (i guess it COULD happen ) you'll be kicking yourself for getting rid of the RP. if your engine runs better on GC (more than likely), sell the RP or use it on a different car.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dont worry, your car will never run healthier on GC... Its a beautiful thing