General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear main seal leak. Question about replacing..

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear main seal leak. Question about replacing..

My rear main seal is leaking like crazy now and I need to replace it but I dont want to spend 800 bucks to have it done. How hard would it be to replace in lets say my garage.. I know i would need the car rather high to drop the transmission but what types of issues am i looking at.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-19-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main issue is dropping the transmission The seal prys out of the bore pretty easily. Use a small screwdriver, working from the inside and using the crankshaft as a fulcrum. Just gently work all the way around, prying it a little at a time, until it pops out. Next, clean the seal bore out really good with carburetor cleaner. Put a little silicone RTV around the outside of the seal and a little oil on the seal lip. Work the seal lip around the crankshaft carefully before tapping it into place (otherwise, the seal lip could get bent over). The female end of a 1/4-inch drive socket extension is a god tool to use to work the seal lip into place properly.

Actually, it's an easy job once the trans. is out. All you really need to do is get the transmission out of the way far enough to remove the clutch/flywheel or flexplate and access the seal. You might be able to leave the transmission under the car while you replace the seal, since it's sometimes hard to get enough clearance to get the transmision all the way out from under the car when you don't have a lift. You might be able to get away with using four jackstands on their highest settings.

I think I got my replacement seal from Futural for like $12. A much better deal than the $35+ they wanted at the dealer.

Unfortunately, replacing the rear seal didn't fix my oil leak. It seems I had an oil pan leak masquerading as a rear-seal leak. Make sure yours isn't the same thing!

Good luck!
Old 07-19-2006, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Thank You for the advice! I deffinately have to get it fixed and I think I will start the tear down next week. Ill take my time with it thats for sure. There wouldnt happen to be any good right ups out there for removing the transmission would there?

Thanks again for all the advice!

-Justin
Old 07-19-2006, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Oh and Ill make sure it is the rear main seal before the teardown but it only happens when its running and stops running right after. Almost lost a quart last week. Its been leaking since last October when I bought the brand new transmission that the pontiac dealarship installed. You would think they would replace the rear main seal while there in there but oh well.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe someone banged the seal during the trans. install. It does sound like it's the rear seal, though.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

So what is the process that I have to take to get the transmission out? Do I have to drop the rear suspension because I was reading that that might be the case...
Thanks!
Old 07-24-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

No need to do anything with the rear suspension. You will have to release the torque arm (or whatever they call it) at the rear of the transmission (it attaches to the differential at the other end). I've just done that by hand. Just keep hard downward pressure on it while you unbolt the clamp, then slowly release it up to the floorpan. I've done that a couple of times with now ill results. Everything else is pretty much a conventional transmission removal. Do you have a service manual?
Old 07-26-2006, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I have shopkey at my school. Its not very detailed so i am going to go buy a service manual. Is chiltons a good one?
Also do I have to unbolt and bolts from the torque converter housing to the engine from up top of the engine? Or can I unbolt them all from down below. I got under there today and its looking pretty cluttered so im not too sure.

Thanks again! :-)
Old 07-26-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

You unbolt the torque converter from the flexplate from the bottom. It's just not going to happen from the top. Take the bolts out through the starter opening.

As for the rear main seal install; There is a special tool required to seat the seal right. Otherwise it may leak again. I wouldn't replace that seal without one. You can rent one somewhere. I know dealerships have them, but I don't know if they're rent them out.

Quick Reply: Rear main seal leak. Question about replacing..