General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bad Ball Joint?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Ball Joint?????

I've had a little bit (really small amount) of slop in the front right suspension for a couple weeks now. Lately its developed a slight vibration at anything above 55mph and the outside of the FR tire is wearing a lot faster than the rest. I'm no suspension expert so I'm trying to figure out if this sounds like a bad ball joint. Also, does anyone know the average cost to have a shop replace either one or all of the ball joints? Thanks a lot.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Curious about this as well, think I have the same problem. I also get a clunk when I park and come to a stop with the wheel turned a bit.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:55 PM
Teching In

If your gonna change one i would change the other. Take a look at your ball joints and see how they look, if there as bad as you say you should be able too move them with your hand, or twist them. Call a few local shops and see what they would charge, Its an easy fix i would reccomend just doing it your self.
might also wanna look into an alighnment.
J
Old 07-29-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sunsetorangessls1
Its an easy fix i would reccomend just doing it your self.
Don't they have to be pressed in and out?
Old 07-29-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They can be a pain to do, but they can be done by yourself. I ended up waiting for a set of Moog Heavy duty Lower Ball joints to come in, and got impatient so I went to a local GM dealer and got some stock ones and changed them out in about 2 hours or so.

Coincidentally I have the Moogs now still in their original wrapping I will sell for $55 shipped if you are interested.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CALL911
They can be a pain to do, but they can be done by yourself. I ended up waiting for a set of Moog Heavy duty Lower Ball joints to come in, and got impatient so I went to a local GM dealer and got some stock ones and changed them out in about 2 hours or so.

Coincidentally I have the Moogs now still in their original wrapping I will sell for $55 shipped if you are interested.
How did you do the lower ones? They are press in. The upper ones look pretty simple, relatively speaking. Just three bolts.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lower ones were much easier than the top ones. At first I though my noise was my upper ones so I replaced them as well (took about 6 hours and was a royal pain in the a**)

Lower ones I believe just pressed in, however my old ones were really shot so the hardest part was getting them out.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I appreciate all of the advice so far, so pretty much all I need to do is jack the wheel off the ground and play with it to see if the ball joints have a bunch of play in them?
Old 07-30-2006, 01:17 AM
Launching!

Jack the front up and shake it side to side and top to bottom... the steering wheel will have some play in side to side. A the garage I'll use a 4x4 and use a 4 foot prybar with the car jacked up and you put the bar under the tire and use the block for leverage and push down and see if you feel play. If your not sure, go to a garage and let them check... last thing you want is a balljoint falling apart!
Old 07-31-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I finally got around to checking this out and I found that the wheel is relatively easy to move side to side but not up and down. I checked everything else down there just to be safe but it all felt pretty solid. That means its a lower ball joint, right? How do I get that out and the new one pressed in? Just take it to a machine shop?
Old 07-31-2006, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Side to side is more likely a tie rod.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a special tool for that. It's like a clamp, but instead if 2 jaws squeezing together, it has a receiving pocket that the ball joint gets squeezed out into. Shops have them, can do a ball joint quick with it. Maybe Auto Zone has it as part of their loaner collection. I think it's official name is ball joint press. A pic: http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/balljoint08.jpg

There is also the ahem... innovative... way of doing it. Involves a solid block, pipe, and a big hammer. If you can't figure it out from those clues, might want to not try that.

Did you try to use a lever to try and move it up and down as suggested? Can't just do it by hand.