General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Window Motor Replacement Success

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Power Window Motor Replacement Success

For the guys using the search fuction, you'll hopefully stumble upon this link when you need to replace a power window motor:

http://www.shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

It ROCKS, and I'd like to add 2 things.

First, when you drill out the rivets from your stock unit, use a 1/8" bit, not 7/32". 1/8" is perfect for one drill through. Also, his advice of using a 1/2" bit is good if you can't accurately estimate where your rivets are behind your inner door. I used a 1/4" bit and had to widen the hole a little, so in retrospect a 1/2" bit would have been perfect.

Also, you don't need a C-clamp because this worked perfectly:

20oz coke bottle fits so perfectly in there that you don't need anything else to hoist the window up under the pad.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll also add that I used a replacement part from Advance Auto, not GM specific and I paid $59 before tax. It works great so far!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got my motor from lee auto parts for 60 i think it was a parts master.....it will definetly be easier the next time i do it! the first tiime is always a pain
Old 07-31-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Man... looks like such a hassle..

If a noob were to do it based on that guide what would be the difficulty you would rate it 1-10, 10 being the most difficult
Old 08-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Would it be correct to assume that that the window motor rivet positions are all the same on the 4th generation F bodies?
If this is true, I wonder why no one has come up with some sort of a stencil or pattern that could be printed out and affixed to the inner door (not the upholstery panel) as a guide?
This would make things easier for the first time changers and allow the holes to be drilled correctly the first time.
I have not changed a window motor (yet) but I know my car still has the factory ones in there but when the time comes to change it, I would like to get it done right without it looking like some nubie got "drill happy" in there.
Its just a thought!
Old 08-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Teching In

I'm ready to replace my window motor (already purchased the replacement) but my window is stuck down, and I cannot raise it. I can't find anything on how to do the replacement with the window down, Any suggestions?
Old 08-11-2006, 02:59 AM
Staging Lane

wish i saw this method before i changed mine i just got done today changing mine the alldata way i had to pull everything apart and re align my window with the weatherstripping n what not talk about a pain in the ***
Old 08-15-2006, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Anthem78
I'm ready to replace my window motor (already purchased the replacement) but my window is stuck down, and I cannot raise it. I can't find anything on how to do the replacement with the window down, Any suggestions?
i have the same problem, bump