General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Mobil 1 10w30 oil, use it or take it back?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:11 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not taking sides on the "which is better" issue. I'm just simply stating my personal experience.....

I've used Mobil 1 5w30 in my 'bird since it was new. It now has over 125,000 miles on it, doesn't burn a drop of oil, and has seen nearly 200 passes at the dragstrip. I've yet to experience a problem with Mobil 1 5w30 in my car.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:21 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keep using it then, you have a good engine. a lot of engines tick and burn mobil 1 5W-30. my engine would burn a bit of oil and i read about GC 0W-30 and switched over. no tick, no oil burning and much quieter operation with more oil pressure, all while maintaining good gas mileage (21-22mpg on a mostly stop-and-go work commute). i'm a believer, especially after reading oil analysis tests. i never said mobil 1 is bad oil. 0W-40 is good stuff according to oil analysis tests. i have just found the 5W-30 to be far too thin. this is why most LS1's burn oil and tick. GC fixed my problem, so i'll continue to use it as long as it keeps my engine quiet and continues to blow away mobil 1 on wear tests. the fact that it's cheaper doesn't hurt, either.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:21 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

If you feel that experience is useless, then you will fail in this hobby. You say “experience doesn't dictate how long your engine lasts”. LOL, clearly, you have no idea. This is typical for new, arrogant hobbyists. Hopefully one day you’ll learn how wrong that statement is.

Furthermore, what you fail to realize is that, all this information you are spouting off IS experience. In some cases it's someone else’s experience that you’ve researched and are now basing your opinions on. Not that anything is wrong with that, but the way you do it is misleading.

Simple situation here that applies to anything in life:

Product A might be better than Product B. However, that doesn’t mean that Product B is “bad”, it’s just simply not the best. However, if Product B is much easier to locate for the end user than Product A, and the difference between the two will have minimal or no impact on the end user during the expected ownership term, then Product B becomes more appealing due to accessibility.

You still seem to think that I’m saying you’re wrong. Fact is, I’m not. I’m saying that you are blowing this way out of proportion making it sound as though M1 oil is terrible for these peoples’ motors and will cause drastically bad things to happen. That is how you are being misleading.

But who cares, right? What do I know? I only speak from that useless thing called experience.
The following users liked this post:
Coy (04-17-2022)
Old 08-08-2006, 08:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i never said mobil 1 is bad oil. 0W-40 is good stuff according to oil analysis tests.
Assuming this stuff is easier to find than GC 0W30, I may give it a try one day. But IMO it's not worth hunting all over the world to find, and frankly I'm not really interested in ordering oil online.

In the mean time, I'm sure my motor will hold together on M1 10W30.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
If you feel that experience is useless, then you will fail in this hobby. You say “experience doesn't dictate how long your engine lasts”. LOL, clearly, you have no idea.
changing your oil is NOT modding your car. experience means nothing. oil tests mean everything. experience will NOT tell you which oil is superior because no matter what oil you use, you will NEVER know the same outcome if you use a different oil.

GC is not hard to find. i live "near" two autozones and they both carry it (25-30 mile drive), plus i have a link to an online store. again, experience with engines has nothing to do with using oil. oil analyses are valued above and beyond experience. oil analyses clearly show GC > all mobil 1. mobil 1 is not bad oil, but it's #1 because of marketing, not because it's the best. FRAM markets that they have a great filter and they sell because of marketing. in real life tests, walmart supertech filters outperform FRAM for half the cost.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:06 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

changing your oil is NOT modding your car. experience means nothing. oil tests mean everything. experience will NOT tell you which oil is superior because no matter what oil you use, you will NEVER know the same outcome if you use a different oil.

GC is not hard to find. i live "near" two autozones and they both carry it (25-30 mile drive), plus i have a link to an online store. again, experience with engines has nothing to do with using oil. oil analyses are valued above and beyond experience. oil analyses clearly show GC > all mobil 1. mobil 1 is not bad oil, but it's #1 because of marketing, not because it's the best. FRAM markets that they have a great filter and they sell because of marketing. in real life tests, walmart supertech filters outperform FRAM for half the cost.

LOL. I'm glad you have EVERYTHING figured out.

Good luck to you in this hobby. With an attitude like yours, you're gonna need it.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well what do you know....i found GC 0w30 in small town usa. been using mobil 1 10w30 since i got the car 2yrs ago, guess ill give it a try.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mobil 1 10 30 is tha **** man, it never gave me problem, if u really want performance stuff get royal purple!!!
Old 08-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
LOL. I'm glad you have EVERYTHING figured out.

Good luck to you in this hobby. With an attitude like yours, you're gonna need it.
reading scientific tests and buying my oil based on lowest wear numbers makes less sense than following the oil with the best marketing team? haha, keep doing what your doing. i'll choose science over advertisement.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

reading scientific tests and buying my oil based on lowest wear numbers makes less sense than following the oil with the best marketing team? haha, keep doing what your doing. i'll choose science over advertisement.
What the hell does advertisement have to do with anything? I never said anything about following marketing.

Clearly, you have totally missed my entire point because either:

A) You have no idea how to comprehend what you read,

or

B) You refuse to see anything other than what you want to see

or

C) You haven't bothered to read what I've posted.

I never said that M1 10W30 was the best, or better than anything else. Re-read my posts. I have sipmly stated that using M1 10W30 will not cause your LS1 to self destruct, and will not cause any serious reduction in engine life during the average ownership term. What don't you get about that?

Your point is that GC 0W30 shows on paper to be a better oil. Great, I beleive you. But in my personal experiace, I've never lost a motor using M1 10W30 even under some serious beatings. And I'm not the only one to report this. And again, I frankly don't care if the motor dies at 200K on M1 vs lasting 230K on your oil. I will probably be dead before my Camaro would ever see 200K.

I don't personally feel that the improvement offered by GC 0W30 over the M1 is worth going on a hunt every time I need to do an oil change. That's why I stick with what I'm using. Not because of marketing.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 08-08-2006 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

My personal opinion is you both need to move on...

If you guys really want to get into the nitty gritty of oils you need to go here...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/visc.html

The LS1 likes a CST of between 12-13. Below are a few links where our resident oil expert (Patman) has given the ideal CST for the LS1. Patman is one of the founders of the bobistheoilguy site and is known as being an oil expert. Here are a few threads for you viewing pleasure.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=Ideal+CST POST 39,61

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=Ideal+CST POST 2,7

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=Ideal+CST POST 4

I have said this before but use whatever you want in your own car. From what I have read the GC oil is a better oil than M1 5W-30 for the LS1 engine. Again, does this mean M1 is a bad oil? NO. Does it mean your car won't go 100,000+ miles on M1? NO. Is M1 5W-30 the IDEAL oil for an LS1? NO! Actual oil tests have confirmed this.

The argument that just because you use M1 5W-30 and your car is over 100,000 miles is a bogus argument IMO. ANY oil should protect your engine enough to go 100,000+ miles if the engine is properly maintained. I use what actual TESTS tell me is the IDEAL oil for my LS1 because I want the very best protection for my hard driven engine, plain and simple.

Last edited by Mike02Z; 08-08-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
The LS1 likes a CST of between 12-13. Below are a few links where our resident oil expert (Patman) has given the ideal CST for the LS1. Patman is one of the founders of the bobistheoilguy site and is known as being an oil expert.
I never questioned the facts or research.

Patman is an experienced and knowledgeable LS1 owner who is a great asset to the LS1 community, IMO. And he’s an all-around cool guy that likes 24. I highly respect his opinion. I’ve known him from these boards for many years, and I consider him to be a friend.

I have stated my reasons for using what I use, and I've never doubted the research.

I have said this before but use whatever you want in your own car. From what I have read the GC oil is a better oil than M1 5W-30 for the LS1 engine. Again, does this mean M1 is a bad oil? NO. Does it mean your car won't go 100,000+ miles on M1? NO.
Fully agreed. This has been my point all along.

The argument that just because you use M1 5W-30 and your car is over 100,000 miles is a bogus argument IMO. ANY oil should protect your engine enough to go 100,000+ miles if the engine is properly maintained. I use what actual TESTS tell me is the IDEAL oil for my LS1 because I want the very best protection for my hard driven engine, plain and simple.
Nothing wrong with that at all. We all do what we feel is best based on our own priorities, circumstances, and experiances.

Good post Mike02Z. See how easy that was when people don't get overly forceful with their opinions? Getting along isn't really that hard.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

SO IF I STICK TO GC 0W-30 i'd get mobil 1 0W-40 i will be ok but if i use 0w-30 is it better than mobil 0w-40 what im asking is where can i get gc at? will it be safe to switch from my mobil 1 5w-30/10w-30 to the gc? do you know anybody on here that has switched from being diehard mobil 1 to the gc ?? ?

lol experience with LS1's means NOTHING in the world of oil testing! experience can't show you which oil works the best. just because your engine hasn't broken on it doesn't mean it's the best thing out there.

again, experience is absolutely useless - unless you can turn back time. you can't run your engine with mobil 1 til it breaks, then turn back time and use a different oil to see how it compares. the ONLY thing you can do is read oil analysis tests which shows how much wear an engine undergoes during an oil cycle. guess what, mobil 1 wears double that german castrol wears. this means mobil 1 is taking that much more life off your engine every oil change as opposed to you using a different oil. you want to be stubborn and buy into marketing hype and believe just because it hasn't broken, it means it's the best, go ahead, more german castrol for me. just remember, however long your engine lasts, you coulda went longer. you apparently haven't read oil analysis tests. i have, making all your "experience" inherently useless since experience doesn't dictate how long your engine lasts.

check out bobistheoilguy.com. see for yourself. all the "experience" in the world cannot make up for real testing.

use GC 0W-30 for best results. here's an oil analysis done recently using it. you'll see the wear numbers are much lower than usual:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...98#post5303298

post #102

as you can see, everything is well below average and he is actually recommended to run the oil longer next time since it's still like new after 3,000 miles. if you cannot find GC 0W-30 at a local autozone, on page on of this thread, i posted a website you can order it from.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CULATR
SO IF I STICK TO GC 0W-30 i'd get mobil 1 0W-40 i will be ok but if i use 0w-30 is it better than mobil 0w-40 what im asking is where can i get gc at? will it be safe to switch from my mobil 1 5w-30/10w-30 to the gc? do you know anybody on here that has switched from being diehard mobil 1 to the gc ?? ?
You will be fine if you switch. I have always been a die hard M1 fan. I have used it in almost every car I have owned for the past 21 years. After finding this site 3 years ago is when I switched to the GC for my LS1. I would still use M1 in my daily driven cars but I have both cars under a 2 year lease that includes oil changes so I just use whatever the dealer uses in those.

You can find GC 0w-30 at some Autozones and at one place on line. There is a thread here on where to find it on line. The site is not a sponsor so I won't post the link but look for 5 minutes and you'll find it.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 10w30 oil, use it or take it back?