General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Woot! found GC 0W-30

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i found the GC 0w-30 oil (made in germany), changed my oil last thursday and now i have a noise when give it gas (around 1000-1500 RPM). it didnt help my piston slap either I know it didnt make that noise before because i would of noticed it. Im not saying that it was caused by the oil either, but it wasnt there before. I usually use M1 10w-30 and i dont remember hearing this pasrticular noise with this oil either. I had my plugs and wires changed yesterday at a local performance shop and i had them listen to the noise. They said it was normal, but it sure as hell doesnt sound like it to me. I was also thinking about changing the oil back to M1 to see if it helped at all...what do you guys think??? guess ill be posting a thread in internals to see whats going on
Old 08-17-2006, 02:03 AM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
somebody tell this guy that the made in germany castrol 0W-30 we're talking about that's only available at autozone is totally different than normal castrol or castrol syntec

try some GC 0W-30 from autozone. it's above and beyond superior in every aspect. just make sure it says "made in germany" on the back. the made in america castrol syntec is

MY GOD!! i hope you are not running a 50W oil in your LS1! the manual specifically says not to use 20W-50's. a 15W-50 will run the same way. it's far too thick and will not oil parts correctly. the motor will be very quiet since the oil is so damn thick, but you'll be killing the internals. the oil is just too thick to get to all the parts! i'd get that stuff out of there right now. you may as well put gear oil in your LS1.
Before you jump on people read their sigs......
Might want to read what the 15W-50 is made for.... If I do not hear or any problems from this 0w-30 and find out its as good as some say it is then I will swap untill then Mobil.

If it was that much better then why does Benz, BMW, Porsche, vette, put Mobil 1 in their cars?

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 08-17-2006 at 02:15 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irnbru83

is there even a debate here!?
yep, go with a 10mm.

i've really debated going with GC but if its so damn hard to find and you have to stock pile the ****, why bother? especailly when you can walk into any auto store and pick up mobile 1 0w40 or 5w30 TSUV.

right now i'm trying out the 5w30 truck & SUV stuff.
someone mentioned they gained 8hp using mobile 1 0w30, did you actually change oil and do a dyno run to see?
i'm just trying to understand this great debate a little more so i can make educated decisions on purchases.