General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
View Poll Results: How many time have you switched out your motor?
F-bodies have window motor issues?
24.77%
1-2 times
57.80%
3-4 times
11.01%
When will it end?!
10.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

How many times have you replaced your window motors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering the same thing - I've replaced the drivers 4 times, the passenger once. All from Checkers/O'Reillys. Does the regulator have to be replaced when the motor is replaced? Can't figure out why the motors are so cheaply built and go out. (cardone isn't any better than the others). Mine needs replacing again, yes I could go cash in on the lifetime warranty but I'd rather do it once and not again for at least 5 years. Yes it's not a hard job, but I agree with the others above, window motors shouldn't be part of the daily maintenance. So is doorman the best??
Old 01-18-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YES!!!! REPLACE THE REGULATOR AND MOTOR AT THE SAME TIME!!! Its SOOO much easier and you usually don't have to do it again! I hear this time and time again people trying to come up with all these fixes for it when in all actuality if you do it once, and do it right, 99% of the time it works flawless for a long time! I would go to the dealer and get the assembly, it comes motor and regulator as one piece. No f*cking around with that big spring and drilling into the door to expose motor rivets, none of that! - I did both of mine and they work better than any F body I've ever been in. Drill out four rivets, pop off one electrical connector, and loosen the slide nuts, support the window and it slides right out. Less than an hour per side. Or both if its me...
Old 01-18-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never heard of replacing the regulator too...I guess I should have looked into it. It took me about an hour to do the drivers side. I haven't had to replace the passenger one yet.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get a regulator it usually (if not always) comes with a motor, I will never ever ever ever ever ever ever change just a motor again. I did it my first time and the spring popped loose and I had to take the regulator out anyways to recoil the spring.

Quick Reply: How many times have you replaced your window motors?