General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn signals work when they want

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turn signals work when they want

Yesterday my turn signals stopped flashing. The bulbs come on but they won't flash. All the fuses are good and I changed the flasher, but no luck. The really wierd thing is that tonight, for no reason, they just started working again, but flashing all wierd, starting out fast, slowing uo then getting fast again. Any suggestions?
Old 08-22-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

its your ls6, take it out and ship it to me, ill send you the ls1 and itll fix the problem...haha, i have no idea, could be something loose in the column, my brights only work when i tilt it at certain angles?
Old 08-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Teching In

that sig.....its halarious. so, where can I get a flux capacitor for a good price? as far as the signal issues, if changing the flasher didn't fix it, you might need to go to GM.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast01
Yesterday my turn signals stopped flashing. The bulbs come on but they won't flash. All the fuses are good and I changed the flasher, but no luck. The really wierd thing is that tonight, for no reason, they just started working again, but flashing all wierd, starting out fast, slowing uo then getting fast again. Any suggestions?
Chances are the sockets are corroded or burned up (common). Then they just do whatever they want. Too much resistance doesn't make for good electricity flow - so you get that on again off again kind of operation.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by keliente
Chances are the sockets are corroded or burned up (common). Then they just do whatever they want. Too much resistance doesn't make for good electricity flow - so you get that on again off again kind of operation.
EXACT THING happened to me. Is it both directions or only one? If both directions, could be the turn signal switch in the column. If only one, take out the bulbs from their fixture and wiggle them around, if you are able to stop/start one from working, then you found it. clean them out with steel wool but make sure you don't have the lights on at all!! steel wool is conductive. After you steel wool it, put some silicone in there (like the stuff you put on your plug wires) to keep the moisture out of there. Mine were corroded from water leakage. I cleaned them out real good but years later something else became disconnected inside and I had to buy a new socket. I got one from advance for $7 but it sucks. I made it work but it doesn't clip in like a factory one does.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I would just go ahead and spend $7 on the socket itself instead of trying to save it by cleaning it. It should be obvious when you look at it - often the plastic will be melted, the terminals will be corroded, or the socket will have turned brown. And yeah don't skip the dielectric grease this time like jkichline said.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all of the replys! It's both signals and the sockets are good, but everything stopped working all together this morning on my way to work. I'm guessing it may be the switch in the column, so off to the dealer I go to be raked over the coals!
Old 08-22-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

I got my switch at advance a few years back and its still working fine. I remember it being MUCH cheaper than the dealer part.

By the way, the $7 socket is crap. It works (for now), but its crap.