General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Checking mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking mpg?

I searched and it wasnt working. Is there any way to check if im getting decent MPG?
It seems like ive been burning a lot lately and i havent driven much. Seeing as how I have a road trip coming up this sat. Id like to make sure I dont have any problems.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

just start with a full tank and reset the tripometer, do your normal driving, and when you fill the tank back up divide the miles driven by how many gallons you pump in. Not the most accurate but you get a good idea of how it's doing. A lot of older guys keep a record of mileage and gallons so they can keep tabs on their mpg. I guess during the fuel shortage and economy crisis everybody was keeping records on it. my dad still does it. I just try to do the method I told you to keep an idea of how it's doing.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

I have a pretty thorough spreadsheet I use for both of my cars...
Old 08-29-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

Hmm Ill try that, have a semi-long trip tomorrow where ill test it
Old 08-29-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dimitri-
Hmm Ill try that, have a semi-long trip tomorrow where ill test it

keep in mind..going over 65 or 70 is where teh wind resistance starts to lower fuel economy...so if your going down the highway doing 80-90..your hurting your mpg.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camaroguy26
just start with a full tank and reset the tripometer, do your normal driving, and when you fill the tank back up divide the miles driven by how many gallons you pump in. Not the most accurate but you get a good idea of how it's doing. A lot of older guys keep a record of mileage and gallons so they can keep tabs on their mpg. I guess during the fuel shortage and economy crisis everybody was keeping records on it. my dad still does it. I just try to do the method I told you to keep an idea of how it's doing.
This is probably the most accurate way to check mpg. Instead of relying on your gauge which may fluctuate some, you can get the exact amount of gas you have used up. Its the way I check mine. Hope its as good as some of the other LS1s on here
Old 08-29-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JR HAWK 9
I have a pretty thorough spreadsheet I use for both of my cars...
Ditto. And now that I have my new pocket PC phone, I will be inputting the data directly into the spreadsheet each time I fill up instead of writing it down and copying it to excel at home. My friend's think it's rediculous.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Yea that is pretty intense lol
Old 08-29-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
keep in mind..going over 65 or 70 is where teh wind resistance starts to lower fuel economy...so if your going down the highway doing 80-90..your hurting your mpg.
true, but also if it's all highway driving and a constant speed for an extended period it will raise fuel economy. my A4 got about 20 around city and averaged 25-26 on the highway from NJ to IL. The manual now (with 2.73 gears) got average of 28-29 on the highway from IL to NJ, not sure around town yet I just put it in before I came back
Old 08-29-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camaroguy26
true, but also if it's all highway driving and a constant speed for an extended period it will raise fuel economy. my A4 got about 20 around city and averaged 25-26 on the highway from NJ to IL. The manual now (with 2.73 gears) got average of 28-29 on the highway from IL to NJ, not sure around town yet I just put it in before I came back
true, but above 65 or 70.. aerodynamics start to play a roll...your car has to push more through the air. the fact that you ahve 2.73s in the abck may make ti different because your probably sitting at 1-1.2k rpms at 70.