General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I tried GC 0W 30 yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Banned

Willem @ Fuel Injection Concepts's Avatar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you guys think of using GC 0-30 in a higher hp turbo car? (stock motor though). Lingenfelter recommends extended life oils (that are made for higher mileage cars) in their FI LS1s so this sort of seems opposite direction for me. Then again maybe the GC is as thick/protective as high miler extended life oil?

Thanks
Bill
Old 09-08-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think the GC would work well in a turbo motor. There are several European car manufacturer's that are recommending the use of this GC in the cars over in Europe...BMW and Benz, just off the top of my head. We know those guys make SC'ed and turbo'ed vehicles. The stuff seems the same to me after 5k miles of use. It even looks and feels clean. I still change it every 5k, and maybe it's a waste, but it gives me peace of mind.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:26 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
if you store it, leave it in there and just change it before you start up the car again IMO. synthetic oil can last from 6 months to a year and be okay so i wouldn't worry too much about it. i assume you'll want to start it up every 2 weeks or once a month and that should be okay. just change the oil before you start using it again. at least that's what i'd do. no use changing your oil and letting it sit there. maybe someone more educated than me in the area of automobile storage can chime in.

i agree. 20W-50 =

www.bobistheoilguy.com

the areas that mobil 1 usually win in in oil analyses is freed up horsepower. mobil 1 is usually very non-parasitic and puts more hp to the ground than most other oils. they do this generally by being so thin. if you got mobil 1 oil analyzed a few times, you'd probably stop using it on your own from the reports i've seen. mobil 1 is not bad oil, but it is definitely overmarketed and much of the praise is hype. people buy mobil 1 because it's the most heavily advertised, not because it's the best oil. people assume because it has the "mobil" name, it's good. well, it's alright stuff, but there's much better out there.
Then could you explain why Benz, Porsche, and Vettes maybe others (thinking Caddies with the LSX motors) come with mobil from the factory even to this day??? I do agree that Mobil1 is over marketed but I also feel that every oil has its own draw backs you just have to decide what draw backs you are willing to live with.

Not flaming just questioning
Old 09-08-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99blue-Z
One thing I found out about Mobil One is that the full Synthetic Regular Oil is now a cheaper variation with less additives. The Original Mobil one is now the stuff the put in the 15,000 mile bottles. So, in other words, they found out that their original oil can be run for 15,000, so they repackaged it and raised the price while they put a cheaper version in their original bottles. Also, I just switched from mobil one (for the above reason and others) to the GC 0w30, and I noticed a decrease in valvetrain noise. So for me, this has actually helped.

Huh? Where did you get this information?
Old 09-08-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah. It's called "Marketing".
Old 09-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Then could you explain why Benz, Porsche, and Vettes maybe others (thinking Caddies with the LSX motors) come with mobil from the factory even to this day??? I do agree that Mobil1 is over marketed but I also feel that every oil has its own draw backs you just have to decide what draw backs you are willing to live with.

Not flaming just questioning
marketing. do you honestly think that these companies are going to put the best oil possible into their cars? they're going to buy mobil 1 for two reasons:

1.) it's marketed the best so the ignorant people (aka almost everyone) think it's the best.

2.) since it's the biggest synthetic oil out there, they can get it in huge bulk stocks for very low cost.

lol you honestly think the dealers - any dealer - puts the best oil in their cars stock do you seriously think they do oil analyses before they pick the oil? they just put whatever they can get the cheapest and has the best image. GM recommends mobil 1 5W-30 for corvettes. do an oil analysis with 5W-30 in a corvette motor. it gives poor, poor protection. please, use mobil 1 and send the results away to a company to be analyzed, then switch to GC 0W-30 and do the same. you'll likely get ~double the wear with mobil 1.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PewterNHRA2001
"when was the last time anyone ever had an engine failure because they used dyno oil in their car" wow finally someone else also seems to think this GC epidemic is overrated.
Happened with Mercedes Benz a while back when they first tried to extend the oil drainage intervals with regular petroleum based oils. Synthetic works better for extended drainage intervals. If nothing else you can design the base stocks to meet your target parameters before the additives package.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:14 PM
JUICED96Z

marketing. do you honestly think that these companies are going to put the best oil possible into their cars? they're going to buy mobil 1 for two reasons:

1.) it's marketed the best so the ignorant people (aka almost everyone) think it's the best.

2.) since it's the biggest synthetic oil out there, they can get it in huge bulk stocks for very low cost.

lol you honestly think the dealers - any dealer - puts the best oil in their cars stock do you seriously think they do oil analyses before they pick the oil? they just put whatever they can get the cheapest and has the best image. GM recommends mobil 1 5W-30 for corvettes. do an oil analysis with 5W-30 in a corvette motor. it gives poor, poor protection. please, use mobil 1 and send the results away to a company to be analyzed, then switch to GC 0W-30 and do the same. you'll likely get ~double the wear with mobil 1.
Then why spend the money on Mobil 1, in that case they should just use cheap Valvoline then.

If you are using the correct oil and something goes wrong and its under warrenty (keep in mind GM now has the 100k mile warrenty or whatever) then GM will have to give you a new motor so it would be costing them money and not the customer. Last I checked you don't make money by replacing parts left and right for free..
Old 09-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dal1as
Huh? Where did you get this information?
My mechanic friend has a buddy who works with the Mobil One people and he slipped that little bit of information to him, and since I used Mobile One, My mechanic told me about it. At first I thought he was full of crap too, but I decided to try the GC in my car and see if it helped me out. It has quieted my stuff down a lot, so I think I'll stick with it from now on.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:27 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Then why spend the money on Mobil 1, in that case they should just use cheap Valvoline then.

If you are using the correct oil and something goes wrong and its under warrenty (keep in mind GM now has the 100k mile warrenty or whatever) then GM will have to give you a new motor so it would be costing them money and not the customer. Last I checked you don't make money by replacing parts left and right for free..
mobil 1 isn't bad oil. it just isn't the best. GC 0W-30 is much better and it's cheaper. that is the point i'm trying to make. mobil 1 is simply advertisement success.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:35 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,289 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I recently switched to M1 0W40 (was using M1 10W30 before). The 0W40 provided slightly better oil pressure at idle (3-5psi increase or so) and the valvetrain noise was cut in half.

I too feel that it's too much work to go hunting for GC 0W30. I'll be sticking with the M1 0W40 from now on.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I recently switched to M1 0W40 (was using M1 10W30 before). The 0W40 provided slightly better oil pressure at idle (3-5psi increase or so) and the valvetrain noise was cut in half.

I too feel that it's too much work to go hunting for GC 0W30. I'll be sticking with the M1 0W40 from now on.

Ditto, although I'm going to see if I can get Amsoil this next time.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Just for the hell of it I just change mine this weekend to GC 0-30. I put roughly 100 miles on the car this weekend. I have not drivin it in about 3 weeks. Got back home and noticed that my oil press was a little less and the LS1 noise seemed to be louder. It originally had M1 10-40 in it. I am going to put a few more miles on it to see what it does. My Auto Zone had it on the self for 5.19 a qt. I got the last 6 qts tho.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

i dont know much about the castrol stuff, but i used to run mobil 1 in z28 and it ran fine, i also change my oil about every 2500 miles. i have RP in the car now and the only thing i notice is that the motor runs a tad smoother. im gonna try amsoil on the next change, it is the only syntheic that is 100% syntheic and they also makes they really good oil filters too. i dont know much about the filter except that they are supposed to catch the most debris then any other filter.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by rjkZ28
im gonna try amsoil on the next change, it is the only syntheic that is 100% syntheic and they also makes they really good oil filters too. i dont know much about the filter except that they are supposed to catch the most debris then any other filter.
mobil 1 and GC 0W-30 are both fully synthetic. amsoil is NOT the only company that is 100% synthetic. amsoil is, however, the only company that calls themselves "the best synthetic" and give horribly biased, tainted results mismatched against all kinds of different oils (they'll test their 5W-30 against shell 20W-50, american synetc 10W-30, non-synthetic castrol GTX 10W-30, mobil 1 0W-40 and God knows what other mismatches). their advertising campaign is enough to make me not want to ever try amsoil oils.

that being said, i've heard of good results with their 5W-40 oil. however, since GC 0W-30 has put out the best test results i've seen and costs $3/quart less than amsoil, i see no need to buy amsoil.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

mobil 1 and GC 0W-30 are both fully synthetic. amsoil is NOT the only company that is 100% synthetic. amsoil is, however, the only company that calls themselves "the best synthetic" and give horribly biased, tainted results mismatched against all kinds of different oils (they'll test their 5W-30 against shell 20W-50, american synetc 10W-30, non-synthetic castrol GTX 10W-30, mobil 1 0W-40 and God knows what other mismatches). their advertising campaign is enough to make me not want to ever try amsoil oils.

that being said, i've heard of good results with their 5W-40 oil. however, since GC 0W-30 has put out the best test results i've seen and costs $3/quart less than amsoil, i see no need to buy amsoil.
Around here the Amsoil is the same price as Mobil 1? Figured I'd try it out. Can't find the GC anywhere. Have been looking since patman originally stated it was so good. Amsoil is supposed to be right behind it according to analysis though.