General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Spark Plug Wires...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Wires...

Which ones to use with my mods coming? (see sig for details)
Old 09-10-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Any ones should work fine. My cammed car has stock wires.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

If you want the best performance, go with Granatelli Wires.

They have 0 OHMS of resistance, which means they give you the best spark. The stock wires have about 600-700 OHMS of resistance.

Granatelli dyno tested a 2006 Corvette Z06 with the stock wires and then their wires - and picked up 10WHP from a stronger spark. I believe they have the video on their website.

I got them for $100 from Summit Racing on sale, they are normally about $180-$200.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

You can't have 0 ohms of resistance. There always has to be some resistance. Even if it's only 0.20 ohms.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm running the MSD super conductors. Your going to get alot of different oppinions, but I'd say that most are running either stock, Taylors, or MSDs.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm running GMPP wires... I believe they were like $50 from the dealer, and work fine.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Stock wires are fine.

To expect any significant power gain from good condition stock wires is just silly.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

For Coil near plug applications you wont see too much more of a spark difference between aftermarket and original plug wires. Im not sure what the resistance rating of the stock wires are but it cant be too much.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys stockers it is...
Old 09-10-2006, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HeapaShifter
You can't have 0 ohms of resistance. There always has to be some resistance. Even if it's only 0.20 ohms.
Well obviously...by 0 they mean practically nothing, which is what 0.1 or 0.2 is compared to 600 or 700 OHMS.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Hey guys its Mike from Granatelli Motor Sports here to elaborate on how our coil near plug wires work. I understand that there will be some confusion of how our wires work. A relatively new product is naturally going to have some misconceptions. Our performance ignition products are an industry first, and as stated by a previous post, have "0" OHM resistance.

Stock plug wires on GM vehicles have around 600-900 OHM resistance. Our recent test showed about 800 OHM resistance as accurate for new stock GM wires and confirmed 0 OHM resistance with our wires (see GMS wires test on a new C6 Z06 video). After installing our GMS coil-near plug wires, we made 10 RWHP and 17 lb-ft torque on a Corvette Z06 nearly straight out of the dealership. Depending on the condition of your ignition system is how much OHM resistance the wires have. I recently pulled wires off of a '01 Camaro SS and noticed a heavy amount of corrosion throughout the wires. For a car that is 5 years in age with a significant amount of corrosion on the stock wires should raise concern to anybody that has performance in interest.

That being said about stock wires, lets look at our lead competitor's wires. One company claims their wires have 40-50 Ohms of resistance per foot. They also claim that they have the "lowest resistance of any helically wound wire". Did they forget about us? Helically simply means "pertaining to or having the form of a spiral", so that includes our wound stainless steel core. Lets say we took 8 feet of our spark plug wire against 8 feet of their spark plug wire, which is close to the length of a set of Camaro wires. Their wires would read 320-400 Ohms of resistance and ours would read 0.4-0.8 Ohms resistance. Big difference.

Now lets take a look at quality and design. Their wires contain a "ferro-magnetic impregnated center core"...in laymen terms, a circular polarized core. One long dissection and I still don't know what it's made out of. Then, on the outer shell, they also used Kevlar for strength. Kevlar is not a defined material and is simply considered as heat-resistant fibers. Then they used copper for their conductor. Ours is a solid, stainless steel core. In all obviousness stainless steel is less likely to corrode and is a much better conductor.

Back-to-back comparisons shows we are not playing the "smoke and mirrors" game unlike the rest. Our product is the best quality and conductor hands down.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HeapaShifter
You are correct that you can't have EXACTLY 0 Ohms of resistance. Electricity would travel at the speed of light without any resistance, although there is always some sort of resistance no matter what.

What we have done was to design a wire that has the absolute least amount of resistance. Although we still can measure a small amount of resistance (0.05 Ohms), the amount compared to stock (600-900) and even competitor's wires (40-60) is significantly less.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GMS Fleet
You are correct that you can't have EXACTLY 0 Ohms of resistance. Electricity would travel at the speed of light without any resistance, although there is always some sort of resistance no matter what.

What we have done was to design a wire that has the absolute least amount of resistance. Although we still can measure a small amount of resistance (0.05 Ohms), the amount compared to stock (600-900) and even competitor's wires (40-60) is significantly less.
True! But would you really need an aftermarket set up wires to fire a mixture that is exactly the same? Unless you are adding boost or a power adder like nitrous you really wouldnt have any change in the firing line or the resistance to overcome firing the plug with less resistance in a plug wire or spark plug. Granted they are stock and the more air/fuel you feed your engine the more of a spark you will need, but what is the limit for the factory plug wires and coils?

Thanks
Old 09-13-2006, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

MSD WIRES
Old 09-13-2006, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NemesisLS1
True! But would you really need an aftermarket set up wires to fire a mixture that is exactly the same? Unless you are adding boost or a power adder like nitrous you really wouldnt have any change in the firing line or the resistance to overcome firing the plug with less resistance in a plug wire or spark plug. Granted they are stock and the more air/fuel you feed your engine the more of a spark you will need, but what is the limit for the factory plug wires and coils?

Thanks
It is not about what the limit of the factory wires and coils can handle...does it matter how much HP the stock intake can handle? We all know the stock intake can probably withstand over 500 HP, but who wouldn't have removed the restrictive intake by even 350 HP? The main benefits from swapping out the stock wires is the HP gain you will get, the temperature tolerance our wires can handle (such as if you were burning up stock wires due to headers), and the stainless steel braids which won't rust like stock and the competitors wires.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GMS Fleet
It is not about what the limit of the factory wires and coils can handle...does it matter how much HP the stock intake can handle? We all know the stock intake can probably withstand over 500 HP, but who wouldn't have removed the restrictive intake by even 350 HP? The main benefits from swapping out the stock wires is the HP gain you will get, the temperature tolerance our wires can handle (such as if you were burning up stock wires due to headers), and the stainless steel braids which won't rust like stock and the competitors wires.
You deffinately bring up an interesting point! Id like to give this a try in a couple of weeks to test the benefits if I may of aftermarket wires and possibly MSD coils. I can make a couple of passes on the dyno to see any HP numbers that might be gained from aftermarket ignition on a relatively stock '02 Trans Am. I will be entering the 3rd phase of Hot Rod at my school which allows us to customize the vehicles with different parts and bolt ons. One of the cars is a '02 Trans Am as well as an '05 I believe GTO with STS turbo. Im going to Pick the T/A and do some research.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

How often should plug wires be changed? miles?
Old 09-15-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya im at 108k miles is it time for my plug wires to be changed? they look good to me on the outside but hey what do i know!!
Old 09-15-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bjamick
ya im at 108k miles is it time for my plug wires to be changed? they look good to me on the outside but hey what do i know!!
Yeah, Definitely with 108,000mi
Old 09-15-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get wires based on color. I like red so I'll get MSD wires.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Wires...