General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

squeek from passenger side wheel??

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeek from passenger side wheel??

99 T/A....alright i slow down to a stop...then let off the brake and coast and from the passenger side wheel come a SQUEEK SQUeek Squeek squeek then dies out after so much momentum...i know yall are like WTF? but i had to post this just to see what i can get.....lol
Old 09-14-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

wheel bearing?
Old 09-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

I'm having a very similar problem. Mine is more on acceleration than braking, but from my rear passenger wheel i have a really loud squeek that keeps pace with the wheel. Anybody got any ideas?
Old 09-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Teching In

i had the same problem on my 99 T/A. replaced the wheel bearings and the noice was still there. if the noise is coming from the rear it might just be the pinion gear and head gear breaking in. if it is the gears then get ready for some annoying whining, nothing to worry about but its aggrevating.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

Is it normal to get that effect from stock gears or would that be something that would only happen from aftermarket gears? Also, if that is the case would a gear swap most likely take care of the problem?
Old 09-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Teching In

it happens to just about everyone. i found a mechanic by me who use to be a GM Master Tech, knows F-bodys like the back of his hand. apparently what happens is that this bolt in the rear end shimmies lose from the car created so much torque, and then i guess the head of the pinion strikes the pinion gear a little off center causing the noise. my car did the exact same thing as yours. started off as a simple little squeek then became an annoying whining sound. And i only have 60k miles on her, bone stock, and i dont drive it hard, never even seen the track. My uncle has a 96 T/A, no cat exhaust, bolt ons, the works, and after market 3.73 gears and he can hear the gear noise over the radio and the engine. if u do a gear switch it'll prolly get rid of the noise but it'll more than likely come back. save your money and invest in a 12bolt rearend. but just for safety sake if you have more than 50k miles get your wheel bearings replaced. GM wheel bearings usually go around that mileage.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

my squeeks or squeels come from acceleration as well only on front passenger wheel...but i am hearing alot of squeeling from my brakes from that same wheel in low stops not at high speed stops...but when on slow acceleration from stops the "chirps" go with the progressive speed of my car until finally at around 8-10 mph it goes away...
Old 09-14-2006, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like we have about the same problem. Anybody know about how much a shop charges to change wheel bearings? or is it a do it yourself job?
Old 09-14-2006, 07:16 PM
Teching In

look at spending around 350 to 400 for both rear wheel bearings. unless u gotta lift and a tap to knock off the bearings take it some place
Old 09-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

before taking it to a shop why dont u take off the wheel and see if anything is loose. the same thing happened to my friends 2000 t/a. we took the wheel off and noticed that one of the caliper slider bolts came loose and fell out.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:28 PM
12 Second Club

I had the same problem about half a year ago. My front driverside wheel would squeak when the brakes arent applied and my steering turned slightly. I read some tech articles and they said that worn brake pads may cause this (dont ask why, i have no idea). I got my pads replaced and the noise disappeared. Worth a try if your pads havent been changed in a while...