General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Crankshaft Pulley Squeaking, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft Pulley Squeaking, HELP

I have an incessant belt squeaking on my 99 Formula. I know this is a fairly common problem among fourth generation F-bodies, and I have searched it a lot, but I still don’t know exactly what to do. The belt seems to squeak in the morning when it is cold or after it rains. Otherwise it is quiet. It will squeak at idle and seems to stop when accelerating but comes back at idle until the engine warms up sufficiently. I got under the car w/ a tube and tried to pinpoint the pulley it was coming from, and it seemed to be the crankshaft pulley. Is this possible, can the crankshaft pulley go bad? Or is it just the serpentine belt? Or should I just replace the tensioner and idler pulleys, and see what happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest new belts first, then pulleys if still squeeking. Just went through same thing, id'd pulley by squirting a lil wd40 on pulley and the offender quit then - only to return again so it was replaced. I had over 60k on the belts though so they needed to be replaced anyway

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Pulley Squeaking, HELP