General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird window problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird window problem

After installing a new battery my drivers side window is having some unusual problems. I can run the window down without any problems but when I go to put it up it will move about 2 inches then stop. If I wait for 10 - 15 minutes and try again it will go up another couple inches and so on. My first thought was the bigger battery is causing the window motor to over heat and thats why it is only working intermitantly and for short bursts.

Anyone else run into this problem? Is my window motor going out? The car has 31,000 miles on it.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Same thing happens to me, Your window motor is going bad. There are instructions on this site on how to replace. Our window motors fail alot..
Old 09-26-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

Thats what I was afraid of
Old 09-26-2006, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

not really too hard to do, took me about 30 minutes having never looked at a window motor or power window assembly before...just dont get your fingers chopped off by the regulator.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yup they are right window motor is bad.When it gets hot it shuts itself off. Then in ten minutes or so it cools off a little then works again... then hot well you get the idea.. Not to hard they have great instructions on here how to change it..
Old 09-26-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine picks and chooses its times to work or be a bastard!
Old 10-07-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My drivers side just stopped working. The pass side is fine. What weird is that every 2 or 3 presses of the window button I will hear a click under the dash just to the right of the steering column. Does anyone know if there is a relay over there or something?

My drv. window switch also says AUTO on it, but it has never functioned automatically. Does anyone know where the auto control box is located?

Do some window motors just go out all of a sudden? I thought they got slow first and then stopped, so I'm scratching my head right now.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seeing as how it's almost always the motor that is at fault, I went ahead and switched it out. Sure enough that was it. I had that motor replaced under GM warranty not less than a year ago and it just stopped working all at once.

What's even stranger, with the motor free wheelin the auto down worked. I held the button for a second and the motor just kept runnin.
Hopefully when it's all installed it will continue to work.

Are there seperate modules for the express down? Where would they be?