General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP!!! Car Dying :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP!!! Car Dying :(

I got a few misfire over the weekend and got new plugs and after I installed it, it ran fine. The next day I started it up and went to work. 3 miles from home car started to smoke and the car would hesitate once I tap on the gas and I limped to the office. Now I cant even get it to idle smoothly after starting it up? Anyway to diagnose this? I have EFI Live and I pull the readings but it's not showing me much?? because I don't really know what i'm looking for. The only thing I can see is that it's not misfiring anymore but the motor barely idles.

Could I damaged something while limping it to work? approx 1 mile of driving. also could the misfire cause the spark plug to go bad? I'm trying to see if the obvious will solve the problem. Any help is greatly appricated.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

drain the oil. see what shows up. then you can atleast see what's internally damaged. i wouldn't drive it right now. i'm in the same boat as you.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kaos_
drain the oil. see what shows up. then you can atleast see what's internally damaged. i wouldn't drive it right now. i'm in the same boat as you.
What am I looking for in the oil? My head/cam swap was less than 500 miles ago and now this? Everything was fine before the misfire started, and got progressively worse after the spark plug wire change. This is depressing...
Old 10-04-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

instead of draining the oil, drop the pan, should be able to tell whats going on them....your gonna see either copper or alumn...

also what are your spark readings, fuel trims, etc....how was the car tuned for the H/C swap? is the car heating up? what is the oil psi?....check back
Old 10-04-2006, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by staringback05
instead of draining the oil, drop the pan, should be able to tell whats going on them....your gonna see either copper or alumn...

also what are your spark readings, fuel trims, etc....how was the car tuned for the H/C swap? is the car heating up? what is the oil psi?....check back
Not sure how to read the spark & fuel trims etc, but I do have efi live 6.2 scan tool. The car was tuned by Charlie from A&A Corvette in Oxnard. The oil psi is about 60 at warmup and drops to 50 afterwards. It has a ported oil pump. What PID should I call out to record for spark & fuel? I can upload a EFI Live file of the reading if that will help.

Thanks for your reply!
Old 10-08-2006, 01:36 AM
On The Tree

I found the cultprit. Its a rocker that's loose... initially I can't figure out everything revolved around #1 cylinder then I took off the coil, swap the #1 with #3 and unbolted the valve cover and the rocker on the #1 cylinder was about to fall off!!! This is crazy... I am pretty disappointed in the people who did my heads/cam swap... that didn't do a good job on torquing everything down. But never the less my car is finally driving... Thanks everyone for their input.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm did you know them?....thats just crappy people do halfassed jobs...
Old 10-09-2006, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by staringback05
hmm did you know them?....thats just crappy people do halfassed jobs...
Yeah... they were pretty good in my clutch install and highly recommended over here on the board for so calif. Dont know what happened this time. Cylinder 2 came off when I was dynotuning. And the people who dynotuned were kind enough to fix it for me, but now #1? hmm does LS1 has a tendency for #1 & #2 cylinder to run loose on rockers? Never build an engine before but I followed the service manual to disassemble and install for the procedure. Hopefully I did eveyrthing right without the experience.

Another thing. How common is minor misfire on this engine? is 2 to 6 misfire max acceptable? i'm getting it all across the board with the 8 cylinder now.

Thanks!