General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Grrr, front turn signals.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 12:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grrr, front turn signals.

My front turn signals on my 00 TA keep blowing out. I've replaced both of them 7 times in the last 4 months or so. The driver side always goes first, and then within 10 hours the passenger side goes. I do get some water in there but I have been greasing the bulbs and the sockets. I think there is a short in the system somewhere or something but has anyone else had this problem?
Old 10-14-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is a common problem...one ive even suffered through with my drivers side turn signal....the socket will continue to get water in it, and will eventually have to be replaced or the bulbs will keep blowing....that will buy you some time but its more of the issue of water getting in the area...fortunetly for me...i just replaced the socket and it hasnt happened since...but id work to seal off the area as well as possible along with getting a new socket
Old 10-14-2006, 01:31 AM
12 Second Club

I had aftermarket clears with PIAA hyperwhite bulbs, they melted the housings and burned the sockets. i went through 2 sets of clears, and many bulbs in 1 year before i had enough. I finally bought a higher quality set of euro clears, i disabled my daytime running lights, i replaced both sockets and i went back to the stock style amber bulbs. 4 years with no issues again...
Old 10-14-2006, 07:24 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced the socket on mine and the problem went away.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I replaced both front housings, and both front sockets last weekend. Aside from being totally sealed now, it's a night and day difference. The old housings had gotten water in them so many times, that there was no reflective material left. Now, they are bright as hell, and clear. I think they were like 40 bucks a piece on Ebay, and the sockets were 6 bucks each at Autozone. It's nice to not have to sweat small puddles when it rains, which it did all this week here.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Yea my sockets are so corroded (sp?) that it's not even funny. I guess i'll be replacing those this week
Old 10-16-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CrayZeeDiCE
Yea my sockets are so corroded (sp?) that it's not even funny. I guess i'll be replacing those this week
I knew it was finally time to stop putting it off when I went to replace a busted bulb, and I turned over the socket to dump out all the water droplets, and the contacts all fell out on the ground
Old 10-16-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

replace the housings and you will be fine...replacing the sockets will fix it for about 6 months or so. I would bite the bullet and shell out the cash for the housings at the stealership.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
I replaced the socket on mine and the problem went away.

How are you keeping water out of the socket housing?
Old 10-16-2006, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
I replaced both front housings, and both front sockets last weekend. Aside from being totally sealed now, it's a night and day difference. The old housings had gotten water in them so many times, that there was no reflective material left. Now, they are bright as hell, and clear. I think they were like 40 bucks a piece on Ebay, and the sockets were 6 bucks each at Autozone. It's nice to not have to sweat small puddles when it rains, which it did all this week here.

What's the easiest way to put in the sockets? Not being a saavy splicer or anything electronic/electrical I have to ask how did you do this? Raised the car up on a jack and did it from there?
Old 10-17-2006, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

what i've done is drill little holes in the bottom of the turn signals to let water drain out, (like 1/8 inch, or smaller) and haven't had a problem with them in month. And no more water builds up inside the lights.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Grimlock1968
What's the easiest way to put in the sockets? Not being a saavy splicer or anything electronic/electrical I have to ask how did you do this? Raised the car up on a jack and did it from there?
Pulled the car up on jack stands. Under the front where the housings are, there are these access panels that you have to take off. Each has like 8 10mm bolts. Then in that you have direct access to the mounts for the housings, and to the full wiring harness for the socket. From there, I just did each wire one at a time, as they weren't color coded on the replacement socket. The housings are kind of a pain in the *** to get out, they are held in with really tiny bolts. I had to thread the new housings with the old bolts, and one of them broke off in the new housing Anyway, couple of hours later and all was well. I used Posi Locks waterproof connectors to splice everything, real easy install. Here are a couple of pics so maybe you can find them at the store.