General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

93 c4 engine hesistation need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 93 c4 engine hesistation need advice

To give some info the car is a 93 Corvette, m6, z51,and totally stock, about 64k miles. Regular oil changes have been done along with the air filter as well. This is my moms car and lately when reaching redline in pretty much the first 3 gears, there is very noticeable hesitation and a lack of power.

The car has never had the pluges/wires changed. It is on the original optispark (which is pretty impressive), and the coolant has never been flushed and refilled. I think seafoaming the car and doing a basic tune-up would help but Id like to hear what you guys think about what things should be replaced. I believe the fuel filter has been changed before, but Im not sure if its an in-tank one or an external. So any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a regular tune up would do this car miracles, plugs, wires, fuel filter, and a few other things.....hows the clutch feel?
Old 10-14-2006, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by staringback05
a regular tune up would do this car miracles, plugs, wires, fuel filter, and a few other things.....hows the clutch feel?
clutch feels great, grabs nice, no slipping whatsoever.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

then go ahead and perform your basic tune up...and check back
Old 10-17-2006, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

I ran seafoam and deep creep and got a good size cloud of smoke out of the car. It now has an off-idle hesitation when starting out, but otherwise it is much smoother. There is still a noticeable lack of power up top.

I plan to flush the coolant out, change the oil, and change the fuel filter. As far as the plugs go, are there any tips for getting them out? It looks very tight to get access to all of them without removing a lot of things.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

3' extension and a breaker bar....if you cant get them from the top....get them from the bottom....hmmm that sounded weird
Old 10-21-2006, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

A little update, I pulled some of the plugs and they were all in surprisngly good shape. There was no oil on them, no soot, and the electrodes were clean. So at this point I don't plan to change them.

A different issue has arisen though now, I did hold the tb open and spray deep creep in there to clean it all out good. Now upon starting out in first gear, the throttle is super touchy and seems like it is sticking a little. Would it be wise to take the tb off and clean it real well or could there be something wrong w/ the tps or iac.

The hesitation that the car had before all this is still slightly apparent, but much improved. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea you can go ahead and take it off, youll be surprised how much it probably is still dirty......no prob.