General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I need to get rid of this vibration!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 07:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe wheel bearing? Mine was shot and shook the car so bad the hood would wobble. Tore my tires up as well. changed the bearing and tires, and the car got smooth again. But would shake at random times as well.

My car was also pulling to the side also. But ever since that day I think my car still shakes more than when I bought it.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I narrowed it down. I jacked up the rear and placed jackstands under it. I started the car and got it up to 60 mph. The vibration was still there. So at least that knocks off the front brakes and front bearings from my list. Also, it couldnt be imbalanced wheels because I had the ws6 wheels on before and it still vibrated.

So next step is to convince my mom to let me borrow her driveshaft and test it on my car. She has a 99' TA. I think when I first took the driveshaft out, it hit the ground because I didnt have a good hold on it. Not too hard but I am sure it wouldnt take much to throw off the balance.

What do you guys think?
Old 11-06-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire-formula 93
Well I narrowed it down. I jacked up the rear and placed jackstands under it. I started the car and got it up to 60 mph. The vibration was still there. So at least that knocks off the front brakes and front bearings from my list. Also, it couldnt be imbalanced wheels because I had the ws6 wheels on before and it still vibrated.

So next step is to convince my mom to let me borrow her driveshaft and test it on my car. She has a 99' TA. I think when I first took the driveshaft out, it hit the ground because I didnt have a good hold on it. Not too hard but I am sure it wouldnt take much to throw off the balance.

What do you guys think?
bent axels unbalanced DS or like i said your rear is not set straight.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

replace your rotors, i had all of these problems and swapped everything and it was finally the rotors that made the vibrations go away
Old 11-07-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Everyone he is not touching the breaks when the vibrations occur.. So stop with the "REPLACE YOUR ROTORS"!!!!!!!!!

i think that is eihter lik i stated above and unbalanced DS, your rear needs to be adjusted with an pinion angel finder or you have bent axels.

Good Luck
Old 11-07-2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Everyone he is not touching the breaks when the vibrations occur.. So stop with the "REPLACE YOUR ROTORS"!!!!!!!!!

i think that is eihter lik i stated above and unbalanced DS, your rear needs to be adjusted with an pinion angel finder or you have bent axels.

Good Luck

your welcome to your opinion i am speaking from experience, i would have agreed with your ideas in the past but i have had this problem that tons of ppl are having and i checked and replaced everything and when i did my rotors and brakes the vibrations went away
Old 11-08-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are you still using the pinion yoke from your original rear diff / driveshaft?
Old 11-08-2006, 01:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

try driveshaft thing, bro... I really doubt its that or discs. I also think its the pinnon, lets hope not!!!
Old 11-08-2006, 03:17 AM
TECH Regular

No I did not switch over pinion yokes between rears.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Mine has these same symptoms of vibration. I recently went from an aluminum DS to a steel DS. I also changed my tranny mount and TA mount. My problem did not exist until I made these changes. I would imagine that it is the DS. I have my axles out now and the bearings look fine as do the axles. I did not think about the axles being out of balance so I might check that out too. Does anyone know where to take axles to check them? I will post up when I eliminate the problem
Old 08-01-2007, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

I know this is an old thread, but any updates?
Old 08-01-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

When I get home Im going to type out a very similar problem Im having, and the list of things that has been replaced as a result of it, to no avail. Im at work and dont have the time to type it all.

EDIT: Im home.

So my problem is very much the same as yours. My car had one bent rim, right rear. Car has a completely different set of rims on it now, tires are the ones that came with the rims. I pulled the axles, they were scored so I replaced them (~$160) along with the bearings ($30). Put in a bearing cap stud kit too. Changed all the rotors to CD & slotted with Hawk pads while I was there along with stainless brake lines and a TA diff. cover. It was all done at once, only the rotors and axles were an attempt to solve this problem.

Changed the vibration a little, but still there. Tired were re-balanced, alignment was checked, it was good.

Changed to an aluminum drive shaft, vibration is still there. Threw in an adjustable rod end PHB while I was under there.

Torque arm bushing was kinda bad, so I replaced it with a poly one, noticeable difference, but still there.

Im putting on new tires this weekend, upgrading to Nitto's, not in an attempt to solve this. But maybe it will, I dunno. My car has a poly trans mount already, but I dont think thats it. Im really out of ideas now. The last thing I can think of is maybe the tailshaft bearing?

Last edited by WS6NIGHTMARE; 08-01-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
When I get home Im going to type out a very similar problem Im having, and the list of things that has been replaced as a result of it, to no avail. Im at work and dont have the time to type it all.

EDIT: Im home.

So my problem is very much the same as yours. My car had one bent rim, right rear. Car has a completely different set of rims on it now, tires are the ones that came with the rims. I pulled the axles, they were scored so I replaced them (~$160) along with the bearings ($30). Put in a bearing cap stud kit too. Changed all the rotors to CD & slotted with Hawk pads while I was there along with stainless brake lines and a TA diff. cover. It was all done at once, only the rotors and axles were an attempt to solve this problem.

Changed the vibration a little, but still there. Tired were re-balanced, alignment was checked, it was good.

Changed to an aluminum drive shaft, vibration is still there. Threw in an adjustable rod end PHB while I was under there.

Torque arm bushing was kinda bad, so I replaced it with a poly one, noticeable difference, but still there.

Im putting on new tires this weekend, upgrading to Nitto's, not in an attempt to solve this. But maybe it will, I dunno. My car has a poly trans mount already, but I dont think thats it. Im really out of ideas now. The last thing I can think of is maybe the tailshaft bearing?
wow you went about it the right way, and smart way. Good job. But man that sux that you still have a vibration... If i am not mistaken all LS1s have aluminum d/s???? hmm i wonder what is still out of balance.... like i stated b4, did you center your rear with ana adj TA? you know, also the poly mount are soo stiff that you will feel everyhting..

Just some ideas
Old 08-01-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
wow you went about it the right way, and smart way. Good job. But man that sux that you still have a vibration... If i am not mistaken all LS1s have aluminum d/s???? hmm i wonder what is still out of balance.... like i stated b4, did you center your rear with ana adj TA? you know, also the poly mount are soo stiff that you will feel everyhting..

Just some ideas
Thanks. The 273 cars came with steel drive shafts, the 323 and 342 came with aluminum. The PHB I threw in with little adjustment. I havent taken any measurements, but I did eyeball it, if its off, its not enough to be noticeable to the eye. I also had Jay at G-Force take a look at the pinion, he said there didnt seem to be anything abnormal there. After I get the tires on, if that doesnt do it, I may change the trans mount for ***** and giggles. The tailshaft bearing was suggested to me as a possibility by Performabuilt, because the vibration doesnt come in until a higher speed. I forget how he explained it, but it made sense at the time.

I forgot to add Ive even changed out the torque arm with another stocker, just to make sure it wasnt my pinion angle being thrown off by a bent TA.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:48 AM
TECH Addict

I have had good luck in the past with shops that have vibration detection and HD on car wheel balancing machines. A number of 4WD specialty shops do this kind of work, otherwise it's really difficult and requires a good deal of luck.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

I'm also going to check my tailshaft housing bushing.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Well I got my new tires on this past weekend, I hate to say it, but its still there

Im not sure where to turn next. Next chance I get Im going to look at my rear some to make sure the housing itself isnt bent. Then I guess Im looking at something in the transmission area. Wonder if the shake could be the trans itself?
Old 08-12-2007, 05:47 AM
On The Tree

I have a vibration too. Currently Trying to locate it.

Possible causes of any Vibration
1. Bent Rim(s)
2. Out of balance wheel(s)
3. Out of round tire(s)
4 Wheel Bearings
5. Out of Balance Drive shaft
6. U Joints worn
7. bent Axle
8. Warped rotors

I wish I could find my problem. Mine seems to be temperature related. In the Morning & Night, it's really noticeable. My Vibration started with new tires. Had 4 bent rims, replaced 3 out of 4. Rebalanced wheels numerous times. My steering wheel does shimmy back and forth. I have Dura Stop Rotors, but they have been on the car for 3-4 yrs. Still have the Vibration!!! Car Has 112K

To the OP, Has you fixed your problem?
Old 08-12-2007, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MYTFASTSS

1. Bent Rim(s)
3. Out of round tire(s)
4 Wheel Bearings
6. U Joints worn
7. bent Axle
8. Warped rotors

I wish I could find my problem. Mine seems to be temperature related. In the Morning & Night, it's really noticeable. My Vibration started with new tires. Had 4 bent rims, replaced 3 out of 4. Rebalanced wheels numerous times. My steering wheel does shimmy back and forth. I have Dura Stop Rotors, but they have been on the car for 3-4 yrs. Still have the Vibration!!! Car Has 112K

The situation quoted here is almost exactly like mine. (My car is bone stock except for poly TA, trans, and engine mounts) I have mounted/remounted/rebalanced all four tires and had them 'road force' tested when they were off the car. All of them were well within spec, but the car still vibrates.

I think a wheel could be bent, but the road force test is not picking it up. Is there a shop out there that can check all of the dimensions of the wheel to make sure it is round, true, and otherwise in good shape? I think that would be a good thing to check.

Also, the stock shocks on these cars are junk, swapping them out my provide enough damping to damp out smaller vibrations.

Let's keep this thread up, we'll figure something out.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MYTFASTSS

1. Bent Rim(s)
3. Out of round tire(s)
4 Wheel Bearings
6. U Joints worn
7. bent Axle
8. Warped rotors

I have replaced every last one of those. Not all in an effort for this problem, some some of them were just worn. Next weekend I think Im going to take a look at my poly trans mount, make sure its all in order under there. I dont think its broken, its not knocking the trans tunnel. I may swap in a stocker and see what that does.

Quick Reply: I need to get rid of this vibration!