General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I need to get rid of this vibration!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question....do you other guys having this problem have auto's? The reason I ask is today while on the freeway at about 60mph, with the vibration clearly there, I downshifted to 2nd gear, RPM's came up, but the vibration went away. Shifted into 3rd, it came back. Now my understanding is that 3rd is pretty much direct drive in the A4, so if it the trans, that gear would amplify any vibration coming from it. Ideas?
Old 08-13-2007, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
Question....do you other guys having this problem have auto's? The reason I ask is today while on the freeway at about 60mph, with the vibration clearly there, I downshifted to 2nd gear, RPM's came up, but the vibration went away. Shifted into 3rd, it came back. Now my understanding is that 3rd is pretty much direct drive in the A4, so if it the trans, that gear would amplify any vibration coming from it. Ideas?
Nah man, I got an M6. It seems odd that the vibration goes away when you downshift. Does the frequency of the vibration track with the engine speed? Maybe it's engine related.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

No relation to anything the engine does. Although I think I can place it somewhere at the transmission now. What I'm not sure of is whether this points more at the trans internals somewhere, or still more along the lines of the tail shaft bearing.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

No relation to anything the engine does. Although I think I can place it somewhere at the transmission now. What I'm not sure of is whether this points more at the trans internals somewhere, or still more along the lines of the tail shaft bearing.
The tailshaft of the tranny should spin at the same speed regardless of which gear you are in, so your 3rd to 2nd shift would not have changed the vibration.

Is your vibration intermittent or constant? (ie, it's there one day but not the next.)
Old 08-14-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by black99ta
The tailshaft of the tranny should spin at the same speed regardless of which gear you are in, so your 3rd to 2nd shift would not have changed the vibration.

Is your vibration intermittent or constant? (ie, it's there one day but not the next.)
I know, but I also understand that if the 3rd gear is almost the equivalent of direct drive for these transmissions, then 3rd would exacerbate the problem. Since 2nd is not so direct, then I wouldn't feel it.

The vibration is consistently there. The vibration itself is not consistent, as in a humm or the rotation of a tire.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Does your steering wheel shimmy?
Its your brakes man, I had warped rotors, and they do vibrate the car no matter if I was braking or not. Changed them and problem solved.
That is the same problem I had too! Rotors were warped and they would vibrate at any speed but really really bad on the expressway!
Old 08-14-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow i can not beleive that there is a lot of people having this problem.... I think it has to with something in the rear.... Wheather it be bent axels, not centered rear, unbalanced d/s or what.. i am still confused on this....

Good Luck guys
Old 08-14-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
wow i can not beleive that there is a lot of people having this problem.... I think it has to with something in the rear.... Wheather it be bent axels, not centered rear, unbalanced d/s or what.. i am still confused on this....

Good Luck guys
But Ive replaced all those....so welcome to my confusion.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Warped rotors can cause a vibration whether or not the brakes are applied. When they warp, their own weight is off balance and as they turn faster and faster. They will want to wobble harder and harder. I had that issue once.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:08 AM
Teching In

i got same problem with my 00 ss
Old 08-15-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

But Ive replaced all those....so welcome to my confusion.

yeah i know. you did i read your post...

I am at a loss
Old 08-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

I had this same problem...bought a Adjustable TA vibration went away but my TA is lowered.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by }Anti_Ricer_X{
I had this same problem...bought a Adjustable TA vibration went away but my TA is lowered.

i suggested that on pg 1. It is not working for some people, there is something else going on......
Old 08-17-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Also it sounds like his was from lowering the car, mine, at least is still at stock height. This little issue I the only reason I havent lowered it, but Im about tired of this 4x4 height, and Im gonna drop the bitch anyway!
Old 08-18-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine used to vibrate bad at anything above 70 i swaped out my rotors today and bam vibration gone. so go ahead get some cheap new rotors and see if it fixes it worst case ur out 65 bucks and u have new brakes
Old 08-18-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

that sucks i had the same prob when i bought my car 97 z28 m6 older guy had it b4 me so i drove it for the first time and couldnt go over 80 so i went by the dealer ship and they ran the vin and said that the driveline had alredy been replaced due to stock ds being unbalanced 750$ fix for LS1 ds i smirked at him.. took it down to have it balanced 135 with two new u-joints put it on still there but little less found a ds on ebay off 01ss it was even polished for 175 put it on problem gone i'd try another ds if you havnt already

also the brakes were in need of replacing all 4 and the ds still fixed the prob

Last edited by letsrun97z; 08-18-2007 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Brakes
Old 08-19-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

Post #32, been there, done it, did it on all that stuff, plus way more.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, everyone.

I think I've experienced an up and down shimmy on the whole dash board assembly where I could feel it on the steering wheel and pedals. It feels as though it's coming from the front end or at least some place under where your feet rest; definitely not from the rear. It happens only in 6th gear at speeds above 70mph. It never shimmies in any other gear at any RPM; only 6th above 70mph. The shimmy itself is a little inconsistent, meaning that it comes and goes at various speeds above 70. However, the vibration unmistakably dissipates upon letting off the gas, and comes back a few seconds after I step on the gas again. I never step on the brake during this whole thing, so I really don't think it has anything to do with rotors, especially since the shimmy responds to the throttle/torque.

My driveshaft is aluminum. Vehicle is 1999 TA V8 LS1.

Is it possible for the transmission itself to shimmy?
Old 07-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

I have read most all of the issues that you guys are having. We had the same problem. The engine mounts were worn along with the tranny. The pinion angle is set with the engine and tranny angle. Turned out it was getting in a bind. The engine was almost rubbing the rack. Took and loosened the mounts up and jacked the engine got about a 1/4 inch extra clearance and almost all the vibration was gone. Replaced with new mounts, all is gone now. We have had bent axles, bent driveshafts and rotors that have been out of balance especially on the 98 up where they are larger in dia. Bent wheels, and in all cases the vibration felt almost the same. Had one the exhaust was doing it. Sure is nice when you hit it and it is like smooth as silk riding.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I major vibration problems coming from the rear of the car. I suspected all the usual suspects bent rim, wheel balance, bad tires, bent drive shaft, warped rotors after checking all that out I decided to start the process of elimination starting with the cheapest thing first. Heres how I completely got rid of my vibration problem 1. got my tires balanced (dicount tire- free!) drove around on hi-way still had vibration!! 2. replaced rear shocks ($41.00 installed) at sears !! Drove car around again BOOM!!! PERFECT DRIVE NO VIBRATION WHATSOEVER!!! Seems shocks (or shock) were bad. Bottomline check to be sure your shocks are good. Not new cuase mine were less than a year old and they went bad. Hope this info helps you out cuase I cant stand bad vibration!!! Peace and Grace!!

Quick Reply: I need to get rid of this vibration!