General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ah Crap! Green Coolant!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1_doc
The "goo" some people have described does not occour overnight. It does that because of exposure to air example ... bad radiator cap, cracked radiator tank, water pump leaking. ...

Or the overflow, which is vented. That's the only place I've seen goo and I was surprised the first time I saw that.

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Prestone GREEN ??? IT SAYS ITS FINE and COMPATIBLE for Modern Aluminum Engines.??? I have looked at that exact stuff and it says it is NOT. ??
From here (this stuff is green):

http://www.prestone.com/products/antifreezeCoolant.php

New Prestone® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant is compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant – regardless of color – for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks. This patented formula provides a high degree of performance durability and carefully balanced protection against temperature extremes and rust corrosion of all cooling system metals, including aluminum.
They list a heavy duty extended life as well (should be green).

Prestone Extended Life Heavy Duty Antifreeze/Coolant (ELC) is intended for use and compatible with any heavy duty antifreeze/coolant. In any diesel powered truck, farm, off-road, marine or gasoline engine with aluminum and other engine metals.

One called "Prime".

Compatible with any antifreeze/ coolant used in any vehicle with aluminum and other engine metals. Meets or exceeds ASTM D3306 des and D4985 for corrosion protection against all metals, including aluminum, while providing freeze- up and boil over protection.

I could go on, but I don't see any that say not for aluminum and most say they work with aluminum. I'm not sure what bottle you've been reading, but I see nothing to support that information from their website (which is not easy to copy info from because of the layout).
Old 11-07-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most shops just carry the compatible with all fluids stuff... and thats green most of the time.
the color is just from the dye used by the manufacturer, and is not an indicator of its qualities...

as long as you dont have any gummy buildup formed, or any "fish scales" floating around, you're just fine.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

oh, and BTW i run straight H2O + some water wetter... coolant is for people who dont goto the dragstrip.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
... coolant is for people who dont goto the dragstrip.
Or those who live where it's cold in the winter.....
Old 11-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I worked a a GM dealer for about a year and worked on the other side (which was BMW) and all the techs on the GM side hates dex-cool. As soon As I got my car I drained it and put in BMW (blue coolant) in. It is compatible with aluminum and magnesium. Every GM vehicle my family owns has the BMW coolant in it. Even when my mom bought her Tahoe in 2001 at 36,500 (out of warranty) miles it got blue coolant

If you took a fluke meter and checked for voltage in the coolant w/dexcool you will probably have mV's. I have checked with the green coolant and have found no mV. mV will mess with you sensors also. Just my $.02
Old 11-07-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

Originally Posted by trackbird
Or the overflow, which is vented. That's the only place I've seen goo and I was surprised the first time I saw that.

From here (this stuff is green):

http://www.prestone.com/products/antifreezeCoolant.php

They list a heavy duty extended life as well (should be green).

One called "Prime".

I could go on, but I don't see any that say not for aluminum and most say they work with aluminum. I'm not sure what bottle you've been reading, but I see nothing to support that information from their website (which is not easy to copy info from because of the layout).
I still do not see any GREEN ANTIFREEZE.???
Old 11-07-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that bad thing about green in a vehicle originally equipped with orange is you cant mix the 2 together. If the 2 coolants were mixed they gel together. The new make-up of the 2 will than eat aeay aluminum cause its soft metal. If all orange is drained from a system and green is installed. no problems will arise.

silicone and silicate do not mix. plain and simple
Old 11-07-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

I still do not see any GREEN ANTIFREEZE.???
The first one (extended life that mixes with either one) is green. I've used it on several occasions and each time, green stuff came out of the bottle. I believe a couple of those others are green as well, but I can only verify that the extended life that you can mix is green first hand.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Banned

The first one (extended life that mixes with either one) is green. I've used it on several occasions and each time, green stuff came out of the bottle. I believe a couple of those others are green as well, but I can only verify that the extended life that you can mix is green first hand.
dexcool
Old 11-07-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

this makes sence my old 95 z28 with 82k had a bad coolant sensor and come to think of it alot of gm's have issues with this could be the dexcool? at the goodyear i worked at they said its gm's way to make money off people even though we did use it because its company policy.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dexcool is made with organic additives, seems to do ok in a sealed system, byut breaks down fairly rapidly in contact with the chlorine in tap water. Those who have no problems may have actually used distilled water for their mix.

FWIW, I use green in my 94, and swapped my 00 to green as well, not the newer 'mixes with anything' but the older green.

In my opinion, all cooling systems should be flushed every year or two anyway for best results, regardless of coolant used. I also think you should do the final couple flushes with distilled water.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Or those who live where it's cold in the winter.....
oh yeaa....

i just get pissed when theres coolant on the track..

just add "or the wintertime in the north" to the end of my other post.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

My understanding:

1.) Dex cool is fine but cannot be compromised. If the system gets air in it, if green coolant is added, or if tap water is added, all of those equal bad news at sooner than predicted life.

2.) Green coolant is also fine, but it has a shorter service life, and aluminum corrosion is not visible. So if you go green it is ok so long as you have the discipline to remember to change it out every 2 years.

3.) Mixing the two is the worst thing you can do.

4.) The biggest problem is once your system is compromised, you are hosed. I've had 10 year old cars whos cooling system had nary a trace of rust. I've also had 1 year old cars with dex cool residue and rusty green coolant. Once the system is compromised you have no choice but to stick to much more frequent maintenance.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by todddchi
My understanding:

1.) Dex cool is fine but cannot be compromised. If the system gets air in it, if green coolant is added, or if tap water is added, all of those equal bad news at sooner than predicted life.

2.) Green coolant is also fine, but it has a shorter service life, and aluminum corrosion is not visible. So if you go green it is ok so long as you have the discipline to remember to change it out every 2 years.

3.) Mixing the two is the worst thing you can do.

4.) The biggest problem is once your system is compromised, you are hosed. I've had 10 year old cars whos cooling system had nary a trace of rust. I've also had 1 year old cars with dex cool residue and rusty green coolant. Once the system is compromised you have no choice but to stick to much more frequent maintenance.
once you reach that #4 mark, your best bet is to reverse flush the system with a hose, clean out all the gunk you can.... then switch to a universal coolent that mixes with everything.

btw. this is what most shops will do with any good radiator flush service.

oh, and the mix-with-all universal coolent color?? yea.. its green.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Veteran

"if its green its clean"
Old 11-08-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

NO Modern GREEN coolant is safe for ALUMINUM...Read the labels..the ORANGE is fine....maybe some sponsor can speak up...Nothing wrong with Dexcool..just don't leave it in for years.
Maybe you should read the label on my GREEN coolant? Because i read it and it said "this product is safe for all aluminum engines and engine parts"....did i read that wrong??
Old 11-08-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

OK ....never seen GREEN that was compatible before.. ...
Old 11-09-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's safe but the aluminum corrosion will not cloud or otherwise show up in green coolant. SOME people use clouding or darkening of green coolant as a visual indicator as to when it needs changed. In an all aluminum system you'll never get this visual cue. That's the main problem.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Banned

I went to low tox propylene glycol
Old 11-09-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

btw, if any of you are really worried about alum corrosion, just run a sacrificial zinc anode in your system... that reduces it to almost zero.

Quick Reply: Ah Crap! Green Coolant!