General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ah Crap! Green Coolant!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006 | 01:04 PM
On The Tree

this thread is funny. green will wrok fine. i used dex cool and it made my radiator look dirty as crap. i used green stuff and when i drain it its almost as clean as when it went in. and i mix mine with water b/c my car runs cooler.and here in florida cooler is always better. i just recently put straight coolant in for the winter. whenits not summer i bnuy the stuff i can mix water into and do a 50/50 mix. and the only reason i tried green is my mechanic puts it in there, its fine.
Old 11-09-2006 | 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

last year I did a thorough clean flush & fill with Zerex G-05.....
Old 11-09-2006 | 04:03 PM
Launching!

<--- This is me sitting back looking at the chaos I've created just by asking a question. Thanks for all the replies, though....
Old 11-09-2006 | 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should never use straight coolant.

Originally Posted by bradmb
this thread is funny. green will wrok fine. i used dex cool and it made my radiator look dirty as crap. i used green stuff and when i drain it its almost as clean as when it went in. and i mix mine with water b/c my car runs cooler.and here in florida cooler is always better. i just recently put straight coolant in for the winter. whenits not summer i bnuy the stuff i can mix water into and do a 50/50 mix. and the only reason i tried green is my mechanic puts it in there, its fine.
Old 11-09-2006 | 05:42 PM
On The Tree

i bought the kind you dont have to mix.
Old 11-09-2006 | 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bradmb
i bought the kind you dont have to mix.
Right, but make sure there is water in the system. Straight coolant can cause a car to overheat (and yes, I've seen this first hand two different times....I used to work at an auto parts store). You can use the straight (non 50/50 mix) coolant, but make sure you have some water in the block and you don't put 4 full gallons of it in there.

I think that's what he was trying to say.

Quick Reply: Ah Crap! Green Coolant!